Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Century-A-Month 2008

Old 12-31-07, 09:38 AM
supcom
You need a new bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Century-A-Month 2008

New Years Day is a good time to get in the first century of the year. Let's get there and start the year off right with at least 100 miles in the log. I'm planning to do an ACP 200K brevet to start my Super Randonneur series off right.

So get out your woolies and get on the bike!
Old 01-01-08, 12:02 PM
Michelangelo
Chocolate and nap

Bikes: Old Peugeot PX10, '1974 custom Gemini racing bike, custom Singer randonneuse (Levallois, France) and Randocycles mountain bike w/rear panniers

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was not *the day. Will do later
Old 01-01-08, 01:28 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I'm considering going for the RUSA R12 award myself. Seems a little more "official"...

https://www.rusa.org/r12.html
Old 01-01-08, 06:43 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I did a 102 miles today in an annual event at Hains Point today. Other than riding to and from Hains Point, the ride is very flat ... very windy. 7 hours total time.
Old 01-01-08, 08:09 PM
Godwin
Not an internet law-maker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
January (my first month) is complete. 170kms on some snowy roads, wrought with mechanical problems and I got lost for about an hour. This is my first century since August and was a bit painfull but still enjoyable. I'll post a report and some pictures on my blog at some point.

Old 01-02-08, 02:13 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
161km today in just under 7hrs.
Very windy out today, and quite hot. I didn't know where I was going till I left, except I had to be at my brothers place around 110km. My legs wanted me to stick to the flats, maybe ride out to the beach(did a hilly century on sunday). Headed for the hills instead. Started well, with a huge tailwind, which lasted for an hour and a half. Against it for the next four and a half hours and then it pushed me home.

See y'all next month.
Old 01-02-08, 03:46 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking of doing a century on Jan 1 this year but fortunately I was saved from making excuses not to do it by a nasty, cold, rainy day.
Old 01-02-08, 09:54 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Machka has entered the challenge!! My January century is complete!!

I had been concerned about the weather and road conditions in this area in the winter, and had come to a decision. If a Chinook blew in so that January 1st or 2nd was warm, I'd attempt a century. Sure enough a Chinook blew in yesterday and today was balmy warm.

Stats:
Distance: 162.3 kms = 100.8 miles
Total Time: 9 hours and 55 minutes, including 3 breaks (one half-hour break, two 10 minute breaks).
Average Speed: 18.9 km/h (not counting the first 26 kms)
Max Speed: 49.7 km/h
Low Temperature: -4°C (24.8°F)
High Temperature: +4°C (39.2°F) ... I told you it was balmy warm!
Wind: Before 2 pm, it was calm. After 2 pm it was windy.

Because the roads were rather snow covered and a bit slippery, I started the ride on my father's mtn bike. Unfortunately it wasn't set up quite right, so by the end of the first 26 kms, I was in pain, I had taken almost 2 hours to cover that 26 kms, and so I decided to switch bicycles.

After that, I finished my century on Machak. My speed improved dramatically. At one point, my average speed was 24 km/h! Unfortunately the wind after 2 pm, and the darkness (nightfall) after 5 pm, kinda cut into that a bit.

Nevertheless ... it's done!
Old 01-06-08, 01:28 PM
Michelangelo
Chocolate and nap

Bikes: Old Peugeot PX10, '1974 custom Gemini racing bike, custom Singer randonneuse (Levallois, France) and Randocycles mountain bike w/rear panniers

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
January (#1) century done.

I was not sure this morning I would do it. Anyway started with about 75 km with my pals at the club and then went all the way to the Eure river, then left to Ivry la Bataille, and back through the Thoiry château. All in all 179 km at 21.1 km/h average. Some westerly wind in the nose (I was heading West), then turning to North and North-East (I was riding back to the East: still to the right side of my nose). Morning was unbelievably sunny with blue sky. The afternoon was wet and miserable (a little bit like my december century under the rain).

I am in again for the challenge. Will try not to miss October this time

With regards to the RUSA (or equivalent challenge), I prefer US centuries to 200 km. A 200K is about what you can do with panniers, leaving the hotel (can't do that while camping) as early as you can in the morning, which usually means breakfast, bike prepared, at about 7:30. Riding fast with as little stops as possible, expect to reach next hotel by about 7:30pm, just in time for a shower and dinner. This way, you can complete 1000 km in 5 days without excess, which is by far *not sufficient for Diagonales or PBP (where you need to log about 330 km per 24 hours period). A century is a lot more relaxing because, with about 30km less, you gain about 1:30 hour, more than enough for reasonable pauses for lunch and a nap in summer. For this reason, I vote for century challenges in spit of my living in a true metric environment

Still, Randonneur 5000 is also waiting for me. A flèche Velocio is planned in March for Pâques en Provence and a couple of 200 km or more
Old 01-10-08, 12:00 PM
shreklookalike

Bikes: Giant OCR1 & Schwinn Sidewinder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I tried this in '05 and missed out on my December ride due to health concerns.

In '06 due to injured ribs and depression I only logged 640 total miles.

In '07 I got back on the bike, but not until February and wasn't even close to "century shape" until mid-season. I still managed to log 9,000 total miles for the year, including my first 400 mile week and 140 mile day. I'd planned on doing a century yesterday, but woke up feeling like crap. Enough "but"s, this year I'm gonna do this thing.
Old 01-10-08, 12:54 PM
kraxmel

Bikes: 2007 Cervelo SLC-SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am planning on riding at least one century a month this year. I may even try to get a 1,000 mile month or two in too.

Last Sunday, I did my first for '08. Where our group ride normally starts is 22.5 miles away from home, so I rode in, then rode the 44 mile group ride, and another 22.5 home. I was so close to 100 miles that I rode around where I live to get the remaining miles in.

All in all 100.3 miles in. Started at 7:15 in the morning and finished at 3:27 PM with various stops (waiting for the group ride to start, rest breaks, etc.).

The group ride was actually in memorial of a great cyclist that passed away New Years Eve. I kinda felt it fitting to get 100 miles in because he was an avid cyclist who rode many centuries and had completed a 10,000 miles year in 2007. I only knew him from one conversation prior to a ride, but from all I've heard from those that knew him, he was a GREAT guy with a HUGE heart!
Old 01-15-08, 09:44 PM
chipg5

Bikes: Felt Z80 road bike, Trek 7.2FX hybrid, Jamis Aurora Touring, Volae Voyager recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did my January ride last Tuesday the 8th, 100.3 miles, in the saddle 7:25:33, for 13.65 pace. It's my fourth and slowest century I'm usually good on hills, but when I broke the ride down into segments, the pace was more around 14.7 except the segments between Auburn and Groton -- lots of hills -- where the avg was down to about 12.

Overall time from start to finish was 8 hours 48 minutes. It was a beautiful day, low 60s -- very unusual for upstate NY. I definitely felt the lack of regular cycling for the past couple of months... And I think I overdid it last week, I rode every day, by Friday my achilles tendons were really sore, and they still are sore when I walk, so I'm taking it easy and not riding until they feel better -- based on what I've read about achilles tendonitis it's not something I want to mess with. I've got to be ready for my February century!

Last edited by chipg5; 01-16-08 at 08:05 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 01-16-08, 04:20 PM
sfcrossrider

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got mine in for January!
Old 01-16-08, 04:53 PM
Slatman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1st January century completed on the 5th...
2nd century in January completed on the 12th..

Gotta love AZ!
Old 01-16-08, 06:39 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
January is in the bag.

Here's the route:

Distance: 101
Weather: High of 35, 9-15 mph wind
Time: 6:40

Oh the joy of slow winter centuries...

Enjoy a picture:

Old 01-18-08, 08:53 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am trying to get my January century in this weekend.
I have a choice between Saturday or Monday.
Sat: Start temp 15F with a high temp of 34F. No snow and breezy.
Mon: Start temp 0F with a high temp of 15F and light snow.

The issue is that I have more time on Monday.
A couple weeks ago it was 50F and I was sick. Go figure.
Old 01-19-08, 08:13 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Done. Due to last nights snow I had to ride the first 27 miles on a heavy mtb with 2.1 wide tires.
After it started melting I switched to my fixed gear. With conditions ranging from powder, clear, to ice it took me all freaking day. 9.5 hr ride time.
Egads! I sure hope it gets better from here on out. I suppose is doesn't help that my last century was in August.
Temps ranged from 10F to 34F with a lovely wind. Done is done!
Old 01-19-08, 08:38 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Congratulations DataJunkie ... I feel for you riding in those conditions. It does take all day! But future centuries will seem easier.
Old 01-19-08, 08:59 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks!

Your recommendation for ensure worked wonderfully. Thanks again!
Old 01-19-08, 09:14 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by DataJunkie
Thanks!

I'm so glad to hear that!
Old 01-21-08, 09:30 AM
sfcrossrider

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
Thanks!

I LOVE ensure on a looooong ride.

Congrats on the ride. The fact that you switched bikes is crazy hardcore.
Old 01-21-08, 10:41 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks!
Machka gave me the idea with her January century. Otherwise, I would have had to bail. Either that or I could have ridden the entire century on a heavy mountain bike with 26X2.1 tires...and no fenders.

Next will be a full century on my fixed gear....maybe.
Old 01-21-08, 02:29 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Yeah, there's nothing that says the whole ride has to be done on one bicycle.

I have done whole centuries on a heavy mtn bike with 26x2.1 tires and no fenders ... but do those ever take a long, long time. I'd much rather start on that if the conditions are questionable, and then finish on a faster bicycle when the conditions get better.

Plus ... for a winter century, when the conditions are wintery, I personally think the safest plan is to do several loops or out-and-backs, from your home base. This allows you the option of changing bicycles, warming up, getting something to drink if your bottles freeze, changing clothes as required, etc. Plus if the weather did take a sudden turn for the worse (which it certainly can do around here) you're not too far away from shelter.
Old 01-26-08, 09:21 PM
The Smokester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Left it 'til the last possible weekend but my January Century is in the bag as of today. Other than a lot of debris on the road from the past week's storms (San Francisco Bay area) I didn't get dumped on like the forecast promised...I was actually a little disappointed since I rode my LHT with mountain wheels and fenders which I figure can plow through anything. Had a stiff and at times gusty wind which, since I did a giant loop, was a mixed blessing. Stopped in at one of my friends' bike shop (business was dead due to the weather) and we shared a "King Kong"-sized pizza. Those wrenches sure can pack it away. Later drafted a nice carbon/Dura Ace Cannondale Synaps for about 10 miles on one of the down wind legs...The rider seemed a little non-plussed that a mountian bike looking thing with big tires, full racks, fenders and a rack bag could keep up...But looks can be deceiving especially when drafting takes care of the aerodynamic disadvantages and I was willing to pour it on to jack up my average speed a bit. He was a great guy and we had a good time.

Looking forward to February.
Old 01-26-08, 10:16 PM
Stallionforce

Bikes: 05 Norco CRR Team Carbon Dura Ace, 06 Cervelo P2C TT Dura Ace, 88 Olmo Steelie w. Campy Mirage, Cypress CX w. 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trying to do a century a week. Waiting on my winter bike. All I have now is a 39x16 single speed, but I did manage a 161km, 6:19 hour slugfest in the wind and cold. Have ordered hotronics for my feet as the wool socks and every other suggestion don't seem to be working for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.