Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

pillion/ passengers and rack suggestions for same

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-08, 04:58 PM
rpet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Would like to know of what options I have for rear racks strong enough for a single passenger, dutch-style. This would go on an old raleigh or some other steel frame (not a dutch bike though).

I'm seeing the Surly Nice Rack with a claimed load of 80lbs or so.

Is my only sure bet to get a custom rack welded directly to the frame?

any tips are appreciated.

-rob in brooklYn
Old 09-08-08, 08:24 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There was a Raleigh 20 clone made here in NZ called the 'Healing Cruiser' and it had a rear rack made from welded steel bar that was also welded onto the frame. Nothing, and I do mean nothing could bust a Cruiser's carry rack.

OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 09-08-08, 08:35 PM
viclavigne

Bikes: Wal-Mart special

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would think that the rack you need depends on the size passenger you are expecting to carry. At a minimum you probably want a welded rack.

You might also want to keep in mind, some states have laws that prohibit carrying passengers on a bicycle that is not designed for it. A rack is not really a passenger seat, although you might find one that is sturdy enough to do so.

Vic
Old 09-09-08, 10:27 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Remember the bolts is the weak points in a normal rack setup. If the rack can take 40 lbs does not mean the bolts do. Welding sounds good.
Old 09-10-08, 10:58 AM
bikiola
royal dutch of dukes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a tubus cargo and have carried tons of friends home, drunk at night, that way. most were girls, probably 120lbs, but some friends up to 150, 160lbs rode without problems.

not in the spec, i know, but its been 5 years on the surly crosscheck with nary a problem.
Old 09-10-08, 12:51 PM
stevo9er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikiola
i have a tubus cargo and have carried tons of friends home, drunk at night, that way. most were girls, probably 120lbs, but some friends up to 150, 160lbs rode without problems.

not in the spec, i know, but its been 5 years on the surly crosscheck with nary a problem.
Yup, depending on the axle, you could probably throw on some pegs and extra supports for the rack too.
Old 09-13-08, 04:54 PM
rpet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that is an eyelet-mounted rack, right?

thx for the info. those racks look nice.

Originally Posted by bikiola

Old 09-13-08, 05:33 PM
kevbo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by badmother
Remember the bolts is the weak points in a normal rack setup. If the rack can take 40 lbs does not mean the bolts do. Welding sounds good.
A simple upgrade is to swap the usual 5mm stainless steel bolts for graded hardware. Cadmium plated are fairly corrossion resistant and significantly stronger than generic stainless steel. Also torque them to spec: 8Nm for grade 9.8, 11Nm for grade 10.9.
Old 09-15-08, 08:33 PM
bikiola
royal dutch of dukes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpet
that is an eyelet-mounted rack, right?

thx for the info. those racks look nice.
yep rpet, its an eyelet mounted, with standard stainless steel. i dont know that i would recommend it for long bike trips, but i think bikes can be abused MUCH more than the specs mention. once i carried a friend (about 160lb) home about 10 miles. this was two years ago and nothing has broken or bent since.