Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Look KEO Pedals Creaking Fix - Finally

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-21, 02:49 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 5,722 Times in 2,950 Posts

With the purchase of a new bike I wanted some light weight, minimal, sleek pedals so bought two pairs of Look KEOs, one Carbon and one regular blade. Bought Look based on decades of experience with Look DELTA pedals, but wanted something decades newer and lighter. Put on the Looks and on the first hill they started creaking like there was something terribly wrong with my bottom bracket. I have been after a solution for months and have searched the interwebs and read dozens of guesses and tries but they all failed, until now.

The one I found which completely eliminated the annoying noise from both pedals was candle wax. Melt a candle down so you can load up a Q-tip and then lightly coat all the cleat mating surfaces on the pedal- under the nose, the metal foot plate and under where the cleat clips in the back. I also hit the nose of the cleat just for insurance. According to the person’s post I read, just repeat every month or whenever it starts. The wax doesn’t attract dirt like grease or oil.

I beats me why Look tolerated this design and the resulting noise. I know some will say Buy ‘Shimano or buy this or that, but those of us who already made the investment, this is the answer without spending more.

Bonus footage: Clipping into the KETOS was always a PITA compared to the DELTAS/. One savy guy put very thin lock washers (the star type) which raised only the nose of the cleat about 1 mm. Tried it and bam, no more issues clipping in.

Will report back if there are any issues.

Last edited by rsbob; 08-20-21 at 09:12 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-20-21, 03:22 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,010 Times in 1,934 Posts
LOOKing forward to your future reviews
Old 08-20-21, 04:53 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22641 Post(s)
Liked 8,953 Times in 4,173 Posts
I simply use a crayon. Candle wax works fine too.
Old 08-20-21, 07:30 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Which cleats did you install?

The ones that come with new pedals have nylon/teflon that touch the cleats. They also sell the "grips" that don't have the nylon/teflon.

A few weeks ago I had the carbon leaf spring snap on my Look Carbon Blades. Since I had over 28,000 miles on them I decided to buy new one instead of rebuild the old ones. They came with cleats that have the nylon/teflon surface.... it clicked and creaked whenever I applied torque to them. I replaced those cleats with the "Grips" and they are silent.

Here's a topic I started about my experience: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...nd-squeak.html
Old 08-20-21, 09:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by GlennR
Which cleats did you install?

The ones that come with new pedals have nylon/teflon that touch the cleats. They also sell the "grips" that don't have the nylon/teflon.

A few weeks ago I had the carbon leaf spring snap on my Look Carbon Blades. Since I had over 28,000 miles on them I decided to buy new one instead of rebuild the old ones. They came with cleats that have the nylon/teflon surface.... it clicked and creaked whenever I applied torque to them. I replaced those cleats with the "Grips" and they are silent.

Here's a topic I started about my experience: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...nd-squeak.html
When purchased, I got the grip type as well as the nylon/teflon variety. Both squeaked/creaked unmercifully. I first used the grips and they creaked, so hoping for a solution, switched over to the non-grip bi-material cleats and no love. I have a real thing about noises and will spend way too many hours getting them resolved. The funny thing is that before the wax miracle, I put my old DELTA silent pedals back on and clipped in using the KETO nylon/teflon cleats and they creaked as bad as the KETOS. At that point I was 100% positive the noise came from the cleat/pedal interface.

This afternoon I did 30 miles and climbed 1600’ with nary a sound other than the drivetrain and tires on pavement. I was thrilled and even bagged a second place in a KOM on a hill climb.

What really blows me away is that with all our hi-tech lubricants, old fashioned medieval candle wax did it.

See bonus footage note in my original post if you have an issues clipping in. I will check out your thread.

Last edited by rsbob; 08-20-21 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Edit:Canklecat for the win!
Old 08-20-21, 09:39 PM
force10

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Got plans for those silent Delta’s? 🙂

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...al-squeak.html
Old 08-20-21, 10:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by force10
Got plans for those silent Delta’s? 🙂

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...al-squeak.html
Unfortunately yes. The DELTAs will still be used with my shoes reserved for the trainer where weight doesn’t really matter. Sorry

Did you try candle wax on the mating surfaces? I did take my KEOs completely apart and lubed the bearings so I would image you could do the same with your pedals. Requires a vice, a rag so the vice doesn’t mar the pedal, and channel locks or an appropriately sized wrench.

Old 08-20-21, 10:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,801 Posts
Yup, I've used wax on my clipless pedals/cleats for a few years. Works fine, only needs to be reapplied every few months at most.

And between spoke crossings that creaked on my one wheelset with black enameled/painted/coated spokes. For that I use leftover scented candle wax because it's soft so I can pinch it up between my fingers and moosh it between the spoke crossings.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-20-21, 11:13 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by canklecat
Yup, I've used wax on my clipless pedals/cleats for a few years. Works fine, only needs to be reapplied every few months at most.

And between spoke crossings that creaked on my one wheelset with black enameled/painted/coated spokes. For that I use leftover scented candle wax because it's soft so I can pinch it up between my fingers and moosh it between the spoke crossings.
I hear by dub thee, The Wax Master

Old 08-21-21, 02:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,801 Posts

Sensei Squeaky
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-21-21, 04:19 PM
force10

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob

Did you try candle wax on the mating surfaces? I did take my KEOs completely apart and lubed the bearings so I would image you could do the same with your pedals. Requires a vice, a rag so the vice doesn’t mar the pedal, and channel locks or an appropriately sized wrench.
I waxed my pedal last night with zipper wax and the squeak almost completely disappeared today over 45 miles.

I was just kidding about your pedals 👍
Likes For force10:
Old 08-22-21, 12:23 AM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I've had 3 pairs of Look Keo pedals, and only one of them squeaked. It was annoying, no doubt. They were cheaper Keo Blades. My older more carbon blades (with a much narrower blade) never squeaked. Nor do my Favero pedals. [I've also had 3 pairs of Delta pedals, and none of them squeaked either.]

What carbon blade tension are you squeaky guys using? I think maybe the higher tension blades might squeak less. I also use the gray grip cleats.
Old 08-23-21, 03:10 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
When purchased, I got the grip type as well as the nylon/teflon variety. Both squeaked/creaked unmercifully. I first used the grips and they creaked, so hoping for a solution, switched over to the non-grip bi-material cleats and no love. I have a real thing about noises and will spend way too many hours getting them resolved. The funny thing is that before the wax miracle, I put my old DELTA silent pedals back on and clipped in using the KETO nylon/teflon cleats and they creaked as bad as the KETOS. At that point I was 100% positive the noise came from the cleat/pedal interface.

This afternoon I did 30 miles and climbed 1600’ with nary a sound other than the drivetrain and tires on pavement. I was thrilled and even bagged a second place in a KOM on a hill climb.

What really blows me away is that with all our hi-tech lubricants, old fashioned medieval candle wax did it.

See bonus footage note in my original post if you have an issues clipping in. I will check out your thread.
Maybe I don't notice anything like that. My Look Delta pedals were ALWAYS difficult to get into. I would often slip and hit my shin on the crank. Got the Keo's and ever again any problems in or out. No noise on any of the models including the not very light Blades. They weigh exactly the same as the metal spring Tour de France model.
Old 08-23-21, 09:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Update: Did a 50 miler today and the miracle fix was an illusion. They started to creak again on climbs. HOWEVER, I really need to torque down the tension on the pedals because after waxing, my shoes swivel all over. Am also losing power since I am also working to keep my feet straight. Will see and report back.

Old 08-24-21, 01:31 AM
Troul 

did you use two coats of wax this time? Now rsbob, dont con me!!
Old 08-24-21, 10:08 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Troul
Wax on, wax off? Maybe I need a better grade of wax, like my cross country ski wax, which is a thought.

I will NOT give up on my con. Yet

Last edited by rsbob; 08-24-21 at 10:12 AM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-24-21, 11:46 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Troul
Hello McFly!

Added ski wax and tightened the release so will see if that helps. So yes, two coats or wax. 4eight miler tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-25-21, 03:59 AM
Troul 

Why Don’t You Make Like A Tree And Get Outta Here & go for that ride?