Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Help! Noisy Sun EZ-3 Trike

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Help! Noisy Sun EZ-3 Trike

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-07, 04:36 PM
hmw46

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
noisy EZ3

I own a Sun EZ3 SX. Have had no problems at all with it. I've put about 400 miles on it this past summer and fall. Loved it so much, I wanted a tadpole and bought a Greenspeed Gt-5. But I will keep my Sun and ride it too. It's a great trike, in my opinion.

I did hear when I got mine that older 2005-2006 EZ3's had a bad axel (chinese manufacturing problem). They weren't truly round which caused the ball bearings to get bent out of shape. If you are having the same problem, and it sounds like it, get in touch with the people at Sun and get their advice. Especially do this if your local dealer doesn't have the knowledge to handle the problem.

Old 12-17-11, 07:43 PM
peskeybobcat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geeklpc1985
I have the same problem, it suchs, thats why I don't ride mine anymore. The only good trike that Sun makes is the EX-3 USX, also I have hear (not not road) good things about the tadpole. Also if you find a sloution PLEASE TELL ME!!!!

Good Luck,

GEEK
EZ Fix for this problem......Oil the berrings....and dont over tite the axil nuts keep 5mm spacing on the nuts from wheel.. Oil all 8 berrings..
Old 12-17-11, 07:46 PM
peskeybobcat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LadyTriker
Could someone please assist me? Two weeks ago, my husband and I bought two Sun EZ-3 SX Trikes. When we test drove mine (it was already assembled at the authorized bike dealership), it was as smooth riding and quiet at a dream. They said they had to assemble my husband's and do a final "tune up" on mine before it was ready for pickup. We came back 2 days later and picked up the 2 bikes. Before we left the parking lot, they had to replace my rear right-hand side bearings due to noise. After only 2 miles of use, we returned to have the rear left-hand bearings replaced. The "reason" they gave us was that the tech tightened the bolt too tight, thus damaging the bearing assemblies. We were told by the Manager that some squeaking and clicking is normal for the recumbants, because of the elongated chain and complex rear gear housing. However, here is my new and rather disturbing problem. The very bike that we had issues with from the beginning is now making a knocking sound AND strong vibration (when it knocks)...the sound is coming from the left rear...but it doesn't make the sound or the vibration if you lift the wheel and spin it. It only happens when someone is actually ON the trike...even if you simply move the wheel 1/5th of a rotation. Sadly, this has come up with only 6 rides totally 90 miles on the trike. My husband's trike is a bit noisy (squeaky) but NOTHING compared to mine. You can actually hear me coming or going without 600 yards. Now, please do not laugh Gentleman...this is NOT a "lady thing"...no matter who rides my trike they get this same situation. We're planning on taking the trike back to the dealer this week, but I'd love to get another mechanic's opinion on this. I know there are Lemon Cars...are there Lemon Bikes??? Or did I simply purchase this trike from a dealer with poorly trained techs? Either way, I'm almost afraid to ride it now...and it's extremely frustrating because I love the way it handles...if I could just get rid of the vibration and noise!
Thanks, in advance, for any assistance I can get on this matter. My husband and I love the bikes...but they aren't doing us any good if one cannot be ridden due to mechanical issues. By-the-way...if I didn't mention it earlier...they are 2005 Sun EZ-3 SX Trikes. We added fenders to them...but the bearing issues arose before the fenders were ever added (they lost the fender order and had to reorder).

Frustrated Recumbant Triker in Ohio,
LadyTriker
EZ Fix for this problem......Oil the berrings....and dont over tite the axil nuts keep 5mm spacing on the nuts from wheel.. Oil all 8 berrings..
Old 12-17-11, 10:32 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Zombie Thread Alert! (Had been asleep since 2007)
Old 12-18-11, 06:45 PM
peskeybobcat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow 2007 and no one could fix the problem well better late then never...
Old 12-18-11, 07:20 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
The OP who was looking for an answer has not posted on BF since the original post in 2005. The other person looking for help hasn't posted in several years, either. (geeklpc1985)
Old 12-18-11, 07:20 PM
countersTrike
Recumbent Trike

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow! Old- so old I forgot I had replied. At that time I had the EZ-Tad SX (yes, chain problem easily repaired) which I still have, and an old delta SX because it stands up on the back wheels easily for storage. No problems with either of these but I also have a Catrike- which has made up for the problem-free times. I got the Cat to use when moving but it is too small, low, crazy twist shifters, unadjustable seat angles; so the trike now makes a nice loaner to visitors!
Old 12-21-11, 10:56 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JanMM
Zombie Thread Alert! (Had been asleep since 2007)
It's going back to the dead.

Closed.

Forum Guidelines *click here*