Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Riding BionX in the Rain

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Riding BionX in the Rain

Old 04-30-15, 10:43 PM
njt07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding BionX in the Rain

I bought my BionX D500 yesterday and the guy who installed it at the LBS on post told me I shouldnt ride in the rain with it.

Has anyone else with a BionX (particularly D500 kits) ever experienced any issues with riding in light/medium/ monsoon rains? Is there any weather proofing I can do that would help protect my investment?

I was kind of thinking of throwing a shower cap over the battery but it still leaves it open to rain running down the downtube. My areas of concern are the connector to the bike and batttery and the lever on the top of the battery.
Old 05-01-15, 08:44 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I have ridden mine in all kinds of weather and terrain, (except monsoon) and never had a problem because of it in the last 4 years...
Old 05-01-15, 01:26 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I asked the question about riding my bionx (S 350 DV) in the rain. The owner of ebike store in Portland told me if you couldn't ride your ebike or bionx kit in the rain, he wouldn't have a business. I've been riding mine in the rain... no problems. I have full fenders and leather flaps that keep the drivetrain fairly clean and dry. However, I'm not going to ride through "puddles" where the water level reaches the motor or the battery.
Old 05-01-15, 06:25 PM
njt07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
D your batterues have the lever on top to help unlock and lock the battery onto the bracket? Thats a point of concern for me. I dont the older batteries have it.
Old 05-01-15, 08:58 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by njt07
D your batterues have the lever on top to help unlock and lock the battery onto the bracket? Thats a point of concern for me. I dont the older batteries have it.
Yes, I have the newest down tube battery - 48V, 11.6Ah, 555Wh. It has the lever and the lock. No problems at all in the rain. If you are concerned, you should get a full front fender with a wide flap that nearly reaches to the ground. This type of fender will keep water from the ground from splashing up onto your downtube.
Old 05-01-15, 09:18 PM
njt07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok good. I have a mountain bike wide mud front fender that straps to the downtube, hopefully I can get on there with the battery bracket there
Old 05-02-15, 08:15 AM
powell

Bikes: E+ kit, BIONX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
It is about weather/rain proofness , I know.
YOU see it also depends on how the BIONX drive is installed to reduce water penetration to minimum,
BIONX drive cannot be responsible if the the dealer foolishly for example run the power wires into the motor without rain loop. I mean wires MUST first run down below axle and up into the motor - it is called loop.
In general all power wires, communication wires, etc. must enter from the BOTTOM of device, never from the top. No matter what gaskets, silicone you use water will eventually enter, do not make wires guide for water to enter.
On my TIOBA Edvin BIONX I had to reroute /loop it/ power and comm wires into the motor, because factory run the wires straight from top into motor - bad, bad.
Never try to beat law of gravity.
Old 05-02-15, 01:31 PM
bowlofsalad

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dielectric grease in the connectors is wise.

Drip loops are essential.
Old 05-24-18, 05:33 AM
gregveal

Bikes: Giant Rincon circa 1990; Diamondback Podium 1 modified for touring.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad I found this post. I just had a downtube BionX installed on my Catrike 559 (recumbent trike). I plan to tour cross-country, so I was concerned about rain.
MORE concern to me than riding, is removing the battery in the rain to charge it (in a campground for instance.)
Any advice here?