Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge Owner's Manual

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-19, 11:59 AM
WCArcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks the user manual for the Garmin Edge is terrible. It just doesn't fully explain anything (even pretty basic things). Is there any alternative that provides more detailed information?
Old 12-16-19, 03:45 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Check out this site:

https://frank.kinlan.co.uk/garmin-ed...rmin-edge-800/

Not much has really changed between the 800 and later models. Once you understand how to operate one, you can probably figure out how to operate another model.
Old 12-16-19, 08:38 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Check out this site:

https://frank.kinlan.co.uk/garmin-ed...rmin-edge-800/

Not much has really changed between the 800 and later models. Once you understand how to operate one, you can probably figure out how to operate another model.
Ummm. 800’s support BlueTooth ?. That’s likely the source of most complaints about Edge units and there’s not a whole lot in any manual as how to deal with it. iQ apps ?, where are they on an 800 ?. Garmin Connect Mobile ?, don’t think the 800 connects with that. The later models as well did away with Bike Profiles and now use Activity Profiles. I’m certain I could find a ton of differences including the fact that the screen designs and layouts are very different on my 1000 than what’s on the 1030.

But agree with the OP, that all Edge manuals suck. They describe functions but mostly don’t tell to the purpose or the assorted options in using.

Last edited by Steve B.; 12-16-19 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-16-19, 11:57 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
DCR has OCD about this stuff and you can benefit more by reading the review of your unit than by reading its owner manual. His reviews are written like a how to manual for using the device.
Old 12-17-19, 08:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Ummm. 800’s support BlueTooth ?. That’s likely the source of most complaints about Edge units and there’s not a whole lot in any manual as how to deal with it. iQ apps ?, where are they on an 800 ?. Garmin Connect Mobile ?, don’t think the 800 connects with that. The later models as well did away with Bike Profiles and now use Activity Profiles. I’m certain I could find a ton of differences including the fact that the screen designs and layouts are very different on my 1000 than what’s on the 1030.
Perhaps I could have expressed my thoughts as, "If this is your first time using a Garmin, going through the 800 will help you learn the basics." After using the 800 for a few years, I thought the 1030 manual was pretty good. (Or perhaps I'm just one of those people who didn't need a course every time a new version of Windows or MS Office came out.) Except for Bluetooth.

Garmin Bluetooth I'd summarize as, "RTFM. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Cuss, fuss, reset to factory defaults. Try, try, try, try, try again."
Old 12-17-19, 09:40 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
DCR has OCD about this stuff and you can benefit more by reading the review of your unit than by reading its owner manual. His reviews are written like a how to manual for using the device.
He does do a really good job. I like his content.

Sorry you struggle.....I love my 520!
Old 12-17-19, 11:51 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Perhaps I could have expressed my thoughts as, "If this is your first time using a Garmin, going through the 800 will help you learn the basics." After using the 800 for a few years, I thought the 1030 manual was pretty good. (Or perhaps I'm just one of those people who didn't need a course every time a new version of Windows or MS Office came out.) Except for Bluetooth.

Garmin Bluetooth I'd summarize as, "RTFM. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Cuss, fuss, reset to factory defaults. Try, try, try, try, try again."
All true. I had issues learning the 810, none on the 1000 or 1030. Garmin manuals are mostly useless as to the intent of features and as such, how best to configure the device.
Old 12-17-19, 05:26 PM
WCArcher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"DCR has OCD about this stuff and you can benefit more by reading the review of your unit than by reading its owner manual."

Thanks, but what do DCR and OCD stand for?

Last edited by WCArcher; 12-17-19 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-17-19, 06:34 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by WCArcher
"DCR has OCD about this stuff and you can benefit more by reading the review of your unit than by reading its owner manual."

Thanks, but what do DCR and OCD stand for?

DCR is a online writer called DC Rainmaker. Google that name you get his site.

OCD Obsessive compulsive disorder
Old 12-18-19, 01:44 PM
WCArcher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!!
Old 12-18-19, 09:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't mean that in any kind of negative way. The man obviously loves this kind of tech and is fascinated and curious about how it works and why it functions that way. His posts are insanely detailed, much more thorough and in depth than the manuals.