Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do these dropouts look okay?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-19, 08:34 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts

Just bought this bike for the frame and touch points to use as a backup/trainer bike. One previous Owner, nice guy, but didn’t seem to know much about bikes - noticed the chain had probably never been changed or lubed, but most strangely, neither QR was closed. They were simply cranked down super tight in the open position. Mating surfaces look somewhat smoothed. Anything to be concerned about? Not worried about the drivetrain, have a 10 speed ready to install - just wanted it for frame, fork, seat post, bars, stem, wheels, and the new Gatorskins. BTW, paid $200.

Old 12-22-19, 08:38 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
The ol quick release wing nut. I wouldn't have an issue with the drop outs.
Old 12-22-19, 08:43 PM
Plainsman

Originally Posted by 02Giant
The ol quick release wing nut. I wouldn't have an issue with the drop outs.
LOL, QR wingnut! Just glad he never lost a wheel. Even had both springs on one side and the front wheel mounted backwards. Frame is really clean though for a 2010. Kept in a shed.
Old 12-22-19, 08:53 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
Drop outs look OK to me. They are steel or possibly aluminum. don't worry about them. Put it all right and ride / enjoy.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA
Old 12-23-19, 10:28 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Plainsman
Just bought this bike for the frame and touch points to use as a backup/trainer bike. One previous Owner, nice guy, but didn’t seem to know much about bikes - noticed the chain had probably never been changed or lubed, but most strangely, neither QR was closed. They were simply cranked down super tight in the open position.
Another vote for nothing to worry about. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people use the QR handle as a lever to screw the axle tight. There used to be a law here in California and maybe other states where the salespeople where required to explain QR axles and other workings of a bike after a purchase. That seems to either have been eliminated or is just completely ignored but seemed like a good idea to me.
Old 12-23-19, 10:43 AM
Plainsman

Thanks again to all of you! Looking forward to building it back up over the holiday!
Old 12-23-19, 10:44 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
There used to be a law here in California and maybe other states where the salespeople where required to explain QR axles and other workings of a bike after a purchase.
I think the problem was that there was never a law stating that the customer must listen to the explanation of how to properly use a QR.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 12-23-19, 11:01 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I think the problem was that there was never a law stating that the customer must listen to the explanation of how to properly use a QR.
Well....yeah.
Old 12-23-19, 11:04 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I might want to use good cam covered QRs, classic steel. These tend to secure a wheel better then many current exposed and riding on plastic bushing cam types.

The main issue I could see is if the wheel placement was affected by the drop out wear. Will the wheel only want to settle into the location that the wear wants and is this location a good/straight one. Andy
Old 12-23-19, 04:47 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I tell customers to practice lots so that when they need to use the QR, they are at least somewhat familiar with it. I also have them do it a few times with me guiding them through it.
Old 12-23-19, 07:46 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
We always say: It's a cam and lever, not a handle to tighten the skewer down with. And then have to demonstrate the process. I have seen it hundreds of times. Smiles, MH