Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you disregard traffic laws during your commute?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Do you disregard traffic laws during your commute?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-19, 11:22 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Although this is a bicycle discussion forum, it doesn't look as if this question should be restricted to cyclists.

As a cyclist, I've seen lots of motorists disregarding traffic laws during morning commutes.
Old 12-24-19, 08:14 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
My peeve is drivers who are excessively courteous, insisting that you basically break the law when they have the right of way.
They irritate me no end. If it's clear that the car has the right-of-way, I will motion them forward, then get off the bike if they don't move. This is probably not an effective way to re-educate car drivers, unfortunately.
Old 12-26-19, 02:02 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
They irritate me no end. If it's clear that the car has the right-of-way, I will motion them forward, then get off the bike if they don't move. This is probably not an effective way to re-educate car drivers, unfortunately.

No need to get all road-ragy about it. Just wave him through and thank him. I just did that today.

Sometimes drivers just don't know if you as a cyclist will ride through the stop sign for whatever reason, such as climbing up a hill or rolling down one. The safest bet for everybody is if the driver just stayed stopped.

That's what I do when I'm driving and waiting to make my left turn at traffic lights. How many times have I seen red-light running motorists plow through them? Sometimes my patience make other drivers behind me honk. Just as some drivers honk at cars in front of them who wait for pedestrians to cross.
Old 12-26-19, 04:57 PM
GUMK

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not knowingly.

’Better safe than dead’ my old driving instructor used to say, it’s even more true when cycling.
Old 12-27-19, 12:33 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Wait.. what? there are laws for cycling?
Old 12-27-19, 04:59 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I don't have a commute but there are two stop signs on a couple of my rural routes that I don't stop for. Both are a T intersections and the road that has the right of way has dips large enough to hide a vehicle (to the left and right). Adding to that, the common speed for the right of way road is 50 mph (at least) and one of the stop signs is placed at the top of a slight incline. For my safety, I look left, right, left to see that the road is immediately clear and proceed onto the right of way road quickly carrying speed to minimize the amount of vulnerable time until I get properly positioned in my lane going with the flow of traffic.

I am most certainly breaking the law by doing so but starting from a dead stop would increase the amount of time I am perpendicular to fast traffic. This is especially true if I had to acquire my clip-less pedal after a foot down stop. I do my best to abide by all laws provided they don't supersede my basic rules of survival. I've never been stopped or ticketed for doing so and if I were I would explain myself as I have here; if that wasn't sufficient I would explain it to a judge. No matter how it turned out, I wouldn't change my practice.
Old 12-28-19, 03:43 PM
KITANDTASK
2 WHEELER TRUCKER

Bikes: NEXT BRAND FROM WALMART IN 2006 AND 2008 SCHWINN MESA DISC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What laws i obey or disregard have a basis in what i value.

I make a practice of rolling past a red light after looking for traffic and estimating how far other people and vehicles will be from me as i enter an intersection. It is based on trying to avoid colliding with others and them colliding with me or swerving in an emergency to try to avoid hitting me.

Some things are either right or wrong regardless of what a government has to say about it.