Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New sport bike-why would I even want disk brakes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New sport bike-why would I even want disk brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-19, 03:30 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I don't think you're allowed to start a thread like this and then complain that your readers are snarky. You've invited it.
And you aren't allowed to tip things towards being personal and then complain when it comes back to you. I'm kidding of course, since there are obviously no such rules.
Old 12-31-19, 03:43 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
In any case, I had an R3 SL for several years, I loved that bike. I hope you enjoy your R5. I want one. I have a C3 though, with disc brakes on swanky wheels, wide rims, 33 mm actual width tires, and it's basically all the bike I need. Think you can fit 28s on an R5 Disc now though so if I had it all to do over again... Cervelo makes fantastic bikes, they handle perfectly.
Old 12-31-19, 04:04 PM
Aonex

Bikes: Topstone Lefty, Defy, FR5

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New Supersix does in fact come with a rim brake option, at least their website says so. You can also check out the Canyon Ultimate. Lots of rim brake builds.
Old 12-31-19, 04:11 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Miles2go
Probably 5 or 6 if I cared to think about it. I've been working toward this new bike decision for more than a month. Is there a right number you were looking for, or is that a rhetorical question?
5 or 6 should of been sufficient. If you are satisfied that rim brakes are adequate for your needs then congratulations on your new bike.
As speed is so important to you is there any reason you didn't get an aero frame?
Old 12-31-19, 04:33 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Originally Posted by Dean V
5 or 6 should of been sufficient. If you are satisfied that rim brakes are adequate for your needs then congratulations on your new bike.
As speed is so important to you is there any reason you didn't get an aero frame?
Thanks. My rides typically see 2400 feet or more of climbing and I really have liked my old SuperSix. The R5 should be at least little more aero and I think lighter, I know the build itself should be shaving at least a pound.
Old 12-31-19, 04:35 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Originally Posted by Aonex
New Supersix does in fact come with a rim brake option, at least their website says so. You can also check out the Canyon Ultimate. Lots of rim brake builds.
From memory of what I was told, the rim brake frameset is the non-hi mod version and might only be available as a lower end full build. I think there is a hi-mod frameset but it's a disc only option, like all of the hi-mod builds. I think I got that right.
Old 12-31-19, 04:48 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

In any case, I had an R3 SL for several years, I loved that bike. I hope you enjoy your R5. I want one. I have a C3 though, with disc brakes on swanky wheels, wide rims, 33 mm actual width tires, and it's basically all the bike I need. Think you can fit 28s on an R5 Disc now though so if I had it all to do over again... Cervelo makes fantastic bikes, they handle perfectly.
Thanks, I'm going to start with the certainly not swanky Dura Ace C24 wheelset to get the bike dialed in, and then work from there.
Old 12-31-19, 04:58 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Excel had some smoking deals on R3D and R5D frames right now...
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-31-19, 05:16 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Thanks, I'm going to start with the certainly not swanky Dura Ace C24 wheelset to get the bike dialed in, and then work from there.
One of my favorite things about rim brakes is how dirt cheap the Jet 6 Plus is for what it is, and brakes awesome. The C24 is similar in terms of premium with an aluminum core, yes?
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 12-31-19, 05:35 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
I just ordered a brand new Cervelo R5, with fully mechanical DA from my local shop.
Guess that's it then. This silliness can be over.
Old 12-31-19, 05:36 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, I've found many of the local shops and online venues have end of year price cuts on frame sets, even current production R3s & R5s. I got my frameset for just over 2,500. Of course the Dogma F10 is being blown out as well.
Old 12-31-19, 05:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Damn you WhyFi!

Luckily they only have the R5D in my size in the $3k version, add a worthy groupset and wheels, and it's more than I want to spend. I loved my R3 though (until we got hit by a car) and that line has a special place in my heart, I've always wanted an R5. But I'm satisfied with my C3.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-31-19, 05:42 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
One of my favorite things about rim brakes is how dirt cheap the Jet 6 Plus is for what it is, and brakes awesome. The C24 is similar in terms of premium with an aluminum core, yes?
That is a great wheelset for the price, but 60 is a bit much for often windy AZ.

If the shop can get them, I might spring for set of Black Inc Thirty and they would probably serve me very well. I'm more likely to ease into this though and see how the R5 behaves on some of my favorite routes before I choose my primary wheels.
Old 12-31-19, 11:20 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I'm just going to go ahead and say it. Disc brakes are awesome, way better than rim brakes. You can pretend that's not true, or that the weight you get is somehow not worth the braking power. If so, you're wrong. Think what you want. I haven't been able to convince my fiancee. But that doesn't mean that I'm wrong. Disc brakes are exponentially better than rim brakes. I won't go back. It would be like going back to down tube shifters.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 01-01-20, 07:58 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I don't think you're allowed to start a thread like this and then complain that your readers are snarky. You've invited it.
How or why someone starts a thread is one thing. How someone responds is on them. It is, after all, a bicycle forum.
Old 01-01-20, 11:36 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
If the shop can get them, I might spring for set of Black Inc Thirty and they would probably serve me very well.
I've been very happy with my Black Inc. wheels.
Old 01-01-20, 12:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
One can imagine a world where disc brakes have the been the standard on road bikes for decades, and rim brakes were recently introduced:

- Why would I want to switch to brakes that don't work well in the rain?
- I have to use different brake pads on my carbon wheels and aluminum wheels?
- Wait, they can overheat on long descents when using carbon wheels?
- What do you mean, they limit my tire size?
- They're only going to be used on road bikes, not on cross bikes, gravel bikes, or mountain bikes?
- And this is all just to save a little bit of weight?
Old 01-01-20, 04:38 PM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Unless you're 130# sopping wet, have your own private SAG and wrenches in a car tailing you less than a km away at all times, and only ride on 100% brand-new virgin black-top....what the pros do has next to no relevance to you. These pros of course, whine about being cold in the wet--and don't ride with fenders. Geniuses.

My Ultegra disc brakes stop my bike better in all conditions than my Chorus skeleton rim-brakes. There's more control, there's more modulation. They're just plain better. Retro-grouch-ism is just that. If you want excuses to live in The Good Old Days, fine--but just admit that is what you're doing.
Just what I went from; Chorus rim brakes to Ultegra discs. No comparison. The Ultegras stop better in all situations. The braking action inspires confidence and with the very hilly terrain I ride it is much appreciated.
Old 01-01-20, 05:01 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 452 Posts
Brakes, who needs them; they only slow you down.

Honestly, rim brakes disc brakes... as long as you have enough to slow you down and not crash into things... either one is fine.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 01-02-20, 01:52 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Luckily they only have the R5D in my size in the $3k version, add a worthy groupset and wheels, and it's more than I want to spend. I loved my R3 though (until we got hit by a car) and that line has a special place in my heart, I've always wanted an R5. But I'm satisfied with my C3.
Bike24 still has the R5D frameset for $2000. I got mine from there, and I believe noctiluxx has gotten one as well. Just sayin' Building it up with Ultegra Di2 (pulled from my Venge Pro, which is getting Dura Ace or Red AXS), Lightbicycle sub-1500gm climbing wheels and it should clock it at under 7kg for a little over $4k.

Like you, I too have been jonesing for a Cervelo from way back (although i wanted the S3 when was their top-of-the-line bike). I ended up buying a Venge over the S5 in November, but the R5 scratches my Cervelo itch (I do think the Tarmac is probably a better all-rounder than the R5, but for a training/travel bike, the R5 is more than good enough).

Last edited by guadzilla; 01-02-20 at 01:56 AM.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 01-02-20, 02:00 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Coming back to the OP - not sure what the point of this thread was, but if his point was that he prefers rim brakes: good on ya, i say. Ride whatever makes you happy.

I just got my first disc brake bike in November, and i liked it enough that i am going to switch my entire stable to discs over time. Only my TT bike is going to remain rim only, atleast for now.
Old 01-02-20, 07:39 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I switched from a bike with low end bTwin rim brakes to another one with hydraulic SRAM Rival. IMHO, disc brakes are not necessary but are more comfortable. I like them because I have weak hands.

On flat terrain and good weather I think discs don't matter. When descending they are more comfortable as they require less lever pressure, and you can brake full force from the hoods.

They shine when it's wet. In that circumstance, they clearly outperform rim brakes.

Finally, maintenance favours rim brakes in my opinion. Rim brakes require more attention, but it's easier and more straightforward. Discs, in my experience, require very little maintenance until something goes wrong, and then you find it it's a messy PITA. Dealing with oils and sticky pistons is as bad as it sounds, and it happens eventually (though less often on Shimano than on Sram).

Of course, I'm talking about hydraulic disc brakes.I'm not sure I'd consider mechanical discs. They require constant tweaking, and have the worst of both worlds while getting only a tiny portion of the good things.
Old 01-02-20, 08:00 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Brakes, who needs them; they only slow you down.

Honestly, rim brakes disc brakes... as long as you have enough to slow you down and not crash into things... either one is fine.
to brake is to admit defeat.

Originally Posted by Amt0571
Of course, I'm talking about hydraulic disc brakes.I'm not sure I'd consider mechanical discs. They require constant tweaking, and have the worst of both worlds while getting only a tiny portion of the good things.
Totally like the cable disc brakes on my gravel tourer. Just need modest adjustment from time to time, don't have any trouble with wet, mud or cinder dust, and I know I'll have an easier time finding a cable at a lbs if something goes wrong someplace out of the way. Next bike will have hydraulic disc and I love them on my mtb but touring will stay cable.
Old 01-02-20, 09:04 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth

Totally like the cable disc brakes on my gravel tourer. Just need modest adjustment from time to time, don't have any trouble with wet, mud or cinder dust, and I know I'll have an easier time finding a cable at a lbs if something goes wrong someplace out of the way. Next bike will have hydraulic disc and I love them on my mtb but touring will stay cable.
If you're going to ride several days away from civilization, I understand the value of mechanical discs. It's just not practical to carry a bleed kit and oil with you.

On a mountain bike there's nothing to discuss IMHO: if you're going to do any meaningful descent with it, brakes should be hydraulic discs. Period.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 01-02-20, 09:53 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth

I think if I was touring someplace "out of the way", I'd carry a spare cable.

FTR, most Tour Divide competitors use hydraulic discs, and a few even used Di2. In the US, it doesn't get much more out of the way than that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.