Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Keeping the legs warm

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Keeping the legs warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-19, 12:08 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Keeping the legs warm

Let's say this time of year my riding goal would be 15-30 moderate pace miles, heading out geared up for enjoyment rather than a commute or utility cycling.

My chamois tights aren't quite warm enough any more, especially towards dusk.

I think what I really want is some sort of quick-drying fabric synthetic pants of some sort that I can pull on over them when I'm cold and take off when I'm not. Or maybe something to wear over summer shorts of which I have far more pairs.

Alas what I've managed to find so far:

- Uniqlo lined pants, poly cotton but some fancy "heat tech" fiber technology, wish they were more of an activity cut than goofy flat front slacks with pockets but seem like they'll probably work, still need to try them on over tights when those are dry in the morning and decide between tossing in the washer or a bag to return.

- A pair of somewhat stretch jeans a size up from usual to fit chamois tights or shorts under... seems "all wrong" but sort of feel like they may actually work. Have worn the same type on their own in usual size for a few shorter "first ride of spring" outings after past winter's inactivity and it doesn't seem like the knees bind much.

- Dirt cheap pair of polar fleece pajama pants, kind of thinking I could dig out the serger and contour their seams a bit to be less floppy. Not sure how they're going to do in wind, though guess I could explore that by stepping out the door without going for a ride in them.

At a certain point I start thinking I should just buy a second pair of cheap tights (preferably without the chamois) to double up the first - I'm basically layering multiple long sleeve summer tops to give warmth adjustment already so there's logic to extending that pattern. Or even buy another copy of the cheap chamois ones and take the pad out, since I know they fit. It does occur to me that come spring, there could be a role for having a quite packable warmth layer for part of the day or especially for train rides home from rail trail adventures further afield.
Old 12-31-19, 12:23 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
I use windblock tights, not bib-tights (no chamois) with clip-on suspenders.Shorts under. Suspenders grab both. I put as many layers between as is called for by the weather and ride. The layers between can be ordinary thermal long underwear (REI and the like). I do all my body temp regulation with my upper body. Arm warmers, warm hat, usually leather "chopper mitts" and wool liner mitts under. Maybe a jacket that can get stuffed into a jersey pocket.

Oh, for warm feet, I made gators of stretchy outdoor fabric. They fit snugly around my ankles under my tights and are a size large below to go over my boots or shoe tops. They make a huge difference keeping my feet warm.

Edit: I just looked at your post. Are you riding unicycle this time of year? And those distances? If so, my hat's off to you!

Ben
Old 12-31-19, 01:14 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
At those distances, I wouldn't worry too much, as you won't be out super long. So, just dress for comfort. I lived in the city for a long time and, when it got cold, just wore a "base layer" (tee shirt and thin tights) plus fleece kit-type top and bottom. Plus a gilet. Piecea cake. Worked then there and works now here, down to, say, upper 20s if it is dry and upper 30s if wet. But then, I am quite cold-tolerant. My mom and dad used to make fun of me when I was little because, when we would have a big ice or snow storm, I was usually running around the house in my underwear. I am always hot.
Old 12-31-19, 10:25 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I wouldn't worry too much, as you won't be out super long.
As this is recreational cycling rather than going somewhere, they do involve being out for fairly long periods of time. So far when moving things have been okay until the cold wind just pulled too much heat out of leg muscles towards dusk, but I've also only headed out on the warmer days, and want to try to escape that limitation. Also the rides that are most interesting are outside the city, which can mean things like standing around afterwards waiting for a train home.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 12-31-19, 10:42 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
when it's time to cover my legs I use cycling pants
when it gets colder, I play with something under that, such as cheap thin running tights or thin fleece tights, (like what women wear but sized 3XL queen, plus size, stretchy, off Amazon. kinda weird but they work!)
if it's going to be brutal out I'll use my double layer cycling rain pants w/ EMS fleece pants under

anyway sounds like another layer is a good idea & since you already have "tights" then maybe it would be smart to get cycling pants to go over the tights. just size up, so it's not all too snug. mine are Novara (REI brand) "Headwind" pants but they don't make them anymore. I found a pre-owned pair on ebay. you can find Novara cycling pants on Ebay & Poshmark

I tried getting cycling pants on Amazon but what I got was weird & didn't fit right

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-31-19 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-31-19, 10:57 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I tried getting cycling pants on Amazon but what I got was weird & didn't fit right
That was my plan, and then after reading a lot of reviews, my fear. And then it was too late to get something in time for this idea I have of riding tomorrow, so I ended up making a tour of local clothing stores.

I do think the "cycling pants" idea is about right if I can find something that seems like it's going to work, what I got in terms of normal people clothes yesterday was sort of the closest I could find to approximate that.

The multiple layers of long johns idea is tempting, what I'm not sure about there is how that would interact with the chamois layer. I did think of trying to find something that could just go over chamois tights or shorts, maybe that's the way to go.

There's also the idea of something with zip off legs, though I'm not sure how well that really works or if it still exists.

One thing I don't want to end up with is the feeling that I'm stuck wearing something too hot for the conditions in earlier afternoon and so getting sweat buildup, not thrilled about having to take off my shoes to shed a layer but guess I should just accept that.
Old 12-31-19, 11:30 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Let's say this time of year my riding goal would be 15-30 moderate pace miles, heading out geared up for enjoyment rather than a commute or utility cycling....

My chamois tights aren't quite warm enough any more, especially towards dusk….
I once posted this speculation about cold legs to this thread:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Winter slower than summer by about 15%"

... mirrors my own experience on my year round, 14 one-way commute.

Beside many of the obvious winter impediments of the heavy beater bike, winter clothing, and sloppy streets, I have speculated a physiologic drag on performance. I wonder if the tissue fluids in the muscles, a mixture of proteins, electrolytes and water, might become more viscous in the cold weather, hindering the contractile properties of the muscle fibers, making pedaling more sluggish.

Just one of those things I think about as I slog to work on those dark winter mornings.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-31-19 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-31-19, 12:09 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

my cycling pants are snug but not tight. the seat isn't lined so I wear thin lined tri-shorts underneath

so I can fit thin cheap running tights under these pants. I can fit other stuff too but the EMS fleece pants are too think & I feel too restricted. when I buy jeans/pants I get 38" waist, but the Novara Headwind pants fit well at size XL, if that info helps

they have zip up ankles

deciding what to wear under them is just educated estimations. for me, I know if it's 50 degrees I'll be ok with just my trishorts under. if it's 40 I might be OK if it's not raining & doesn't get colder, if it's 30 degrees, I like something under them. they have a thicker front panel than the back, I guess that's why they call them "Headwind" but that's a common feature of cycling pants

one year I experimented making my own knee warmer from fleece leg warmers. I had you sensitive knee that year

over that I put the ladies fleece tights

then the cycling pants

I don't use that DIY knee warmer anymore

the other nice thing about "cycling" pants, is that they flex properly at the knee

when it's really storming, my Showers Pass cycling specific rain pants are roomier & I can fit my EMS fleece pants comfortably under them

& they have fancy ankle closures, which are good so I can customized the fit over boots

if you just want an overlayer for your fleece tights then I think they do make "convertible" "tech" style pants w/ zip off legs, but not sure if they are cycling specific

before I got cycling specific leg wear I used common snow pants, usually with just my shorts underneath. I added reflective tape for commuting

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-31-19 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-31-19, 06:28 PM
UniChris

cheap thin running tights or thin fleece tights, (like what women wear but sized 3XL queen, plus size, stretchy, off Amazon. kinda weird but they work!)
Plus they come in such nice colors ;-)

Quite seriously, I may look into it. There are lots of places where society says men get the practical clothes, but mass-market stretchy performance fabric tends to go the other way.

Last edited by UniChris; 12-31-19 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-01-20, 04:45 PM
rumrunn6

Plus they come in such nice colors ;-)Quite seriously, I may look into it. There are lots of places where society says men get the practical clothes, but mass-market stretchy performance fabric tends to go the other way.
like my Asics brand Men's Tights
$29

no fleece but they're smooth, comfortable & provide a really good base layer
Old 01-01-20, 05:49 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
There are pants out there made from softshell fleece. They come in various styles, some are slim fit with enough room to be worn over thermal tights. They are perfect for cycling. ..Jeans worn over tights will also work to keep you warm, but jeans are heavier and may not be as comfortable for longer distances, they're ok for shorter distances
Old 01-01-20, 06:04 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Since I don't ride in ice, I used fleece lined jeans or cargo pants.
Old 01-01-20, 09:56 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by alloo
I used fleece lined jeans or cargo pants.
I bought some uniqlo lined pants and used them today. They sort of worked, needing some tugging up now and then and started thinking about the suspenders idea.

Main issue was they were too warm for the actual riding. I had to walk some rugged trail, but a bit over a mile after I started riding again stopped and shed them. Were nice to have as I was winding up after the good portion of the ride with another stretch of urban hassles and getting on a train home but I think I want to find a lighter second layer I could wear while determinedly riding - it would have to be really cold to need those while cranking along.
Old 01-01-20, 09:58 PM
UniChris

like my Asics brand Men's Tights
$29
no fleece but they're smooth, comfortable & provide a really good base layer
Those are tempting, but I notice you say "base layer". Do you think they'd work over chamois tights or shorts?
Old 01-01-20, 10:32 PM
rumrunn6

Those are tempting, but I notice you say "base layer". Do you think they'd work over chamois tights or shorts?
over tights? no
Old 01-02-20, 08:37 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I don't know what brand I use, but I wear a loose, but still stretchy generic atheletic/active pants that breath. In fact there is a slightly perforate panel down the sides. This works for me down to 15F-18F. From there to my lower limit of 5F I hear non-breathable, fleece-lined jogging pants over that. I will also put on the non-breathables if there is a lot of snow.
Old 01-02-20, 10:52 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
When the temps drop below freezing I will wear a pair of merino wool base layer tights (long underwear) under my thermal cycling tights. Really cold, 10* and lower, I have a pair of Under Armour ColdGear 4.0 leggings, they really do the trick.
Old 01-02-20, 11:23 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by 02Giant
When the temps drop below freezing I will wear a pair of merino wool base layer tights (long underwear) under my thermal cycling tights. Really cold, 10* and lower, I have a pair of Under Armour ColdGear 4.0 leggings, they really do the trick.
Are you wearing these under, over, or without a cycling chamois?

I'd be fine going without for commuting or something, but my circumstances are such that for getting around I either walk or get on the train - riding is only worth the bother if I'm going for a greater distance, so that's going to be part of the kit.

Just ordered a pair of jogging tights a size up with the idea of wearing them over chamois tights or shorts (and also thinking they might go along well into spring for mis-estimations). Will have to see if they work. Starting to think I may source some suspenders too.
Old 01-02-20, 12:34 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts

I'd be fine going without for commuting or something, but my circumstances are such that for getting around I either walk or get on the train - riding is only worth the bother if I'm going for a greater distance, so that's going to be part of the kit.

Just ordered a pair of jogging tights a size up with the idea of wearing them over chamois tights or shorts (and also thinking they might go along well into spring for mis-estimations). Will have to see if they work. Starting to think I may source some suspenders too.
Both are considered base layers, so worn under thermal cycling tights.
I don’t use tights or shorts with a chamois. I haven’t found I need a chamois, so far.
Old 01-02-20, 02:24 PM
rumrunn6

may source some suspenders too.
I get my cheap clip on units from walmart. they are by the belts
Old 01-02-20, 02:31 PM
UniChris

I get my cheap clip on units from walmart. they are by the belts
Most accessible Walmart is up the road from turnaround point of my usual metric century route, probably won't be back that way until it's a bit warmer ;-) . (And yes, I have actually considered stopping in)

I think I may have some somewhere, have mixed feelings about the effectiveness of elastic ones, but also have a sewing machine, so...
Old 01-02-20, 02:49 PM
rumrunn6

have mixed feelings about the effectiveness of elastic ones, but also have a sewing machine, so...
can probably just tie a cpl pieces of cord around belt loops & cross them over your back (1/2 kidding). I use the cheap suspenders so I don't have to keep hoisting my work pants up at my 2nd job. use them w/ cycling pants & when I go out in storms to rake my roof. I just adjust the length to provide the right amount of support. I fold over the edge of the pants, it helps keep a tight connection

back to the cord, I have a ring of cord on each tall Bogs brand tall boot to keep pant ankles from getting hoisted up when trudging thru deep snow around the house. dunno if I have a pic of that. before using the string/cord the pants would move up & I've get snow over the top of the boot. we get some wicked drifts!
Old 01-03-20, 05:51 AM
Jim from Boston

Keeping the legs warm
When the temps drop below freezing I will wear a pair of merino wool base layer tights (long underwear) under my thermal cycling tights.

Really cold, 10* and lower, I have a pair of Under Armour ColdGear 4.0 leggings, they really do the trick.

Just ordered a pair of jogging tights a size up with the idea of wearing them over chamois tights or shorts (and also thinking they might go along well into spring for mis-estimations). Will have to see if they work.

Starting to think I may source some suspenders too.
Both are considered base layers, so worn under thermal cycling tights.

I don’t use tights or shorts with a chamois. I haven’t found I need a chamois, so far.
can probably just tie a cpl pieces of cord around belt loops & cross them over your back (1/2 kidding). I use the cheap suspenders so I don't have to keep hoisting my work pants up at my 2nd job. use them w/ cycling pants & when I go out in storms to rake my roof.

I just adjust the length to provide the right amount of support. I fold over the edge of the pants, it helps keep a tight connection
I keep my legs warm with layer(s) of tights (base layers) of light, medium, and heavyweight material, and use the various combinations according to the temperature under my cycling shorts:
The way I organize my winter dress is by levels, 1 to 6. (I got that scale from whitewater rafting, where difficulty of a river is rated from 1 to 6, and it works for me).

The levels do not mean layers, but the combination of gear for temperature intervals, in increments of about 10 degrees F. A few years ago I posted the scheme on a Road Cycling thread, ”Your clothing choices for various temps".
I think of my degrees of dress in six levels. Adopting to your table for my 14 mile commute (temperatures in parentheses):

50-70F
Level I (>70): Shorts….

Level II (60): Add thin long legged tights and/or long-sleeve jersey
(50): Add … long legged [medium weight] cycling tights over thin tights

30-40F
Level III (40):…two layers of tights [heavy weight and light or medium weight]…

10-30F
Level IV (30) …[two layers as above]…

Level V (25): …[as above]

Level VI: (<20): …additional windproof pants [scrub pants or rainproof pants] over two pairs of tights…

<0F?
My personal best has been leaving at 8 degrees in Boston and arriving at my suburban destination at minus 9

I don't like being cold, so I tend to overdress a bit, but I have a rear trunk bag and can remove layers.
For legwear, I consider it a compromise between warmth and flexibility (elasticity of the fiber). The two thinner pairs of tights have lost elasticity, and I do use clip-on suspenders to hold them up when not wearing the otherwise snug heavyweight type as the outer layer.

One other item I have used since that scheme was described are leg length warmers, with zippered ankles, though they don’t cover the pelvis. I did have a problem keeping them hitched up as far as possible, so I bought hockey garters used to keep up long length hockey stockings.

Kind of like wrap-around chaps for a cycling cowboy.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-03-20 at 06:50 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 01-03-20, 07:29 AM
rumrunn6

I don't like being cold, so I tend to overdress a bit, but I have a rear trunk bag and can remove layers
+1 for the trunk bag
Old 01-03-20, 04:47 PM
Jim from Boston

˄˄˄˄

I also posted about these additional considerations for legs:
”Bottom 1/2 recomendations for sub-freezing? (32F->0F)”

Just this morning I was looking online at an LBS website, and decided on getting PI Pursuit Thermal Tights…a perfect answer to what do you want for Christmas, and that’s when I’ll be needing them.

It seems the AmFib are bib types, which I don’t want.
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Mine are not-bibs, if that helps.

They've tweaked the model slightly since I bought them but these are basically it. No "screaming yellow" on mine:

https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...ght/p/11111713
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
It's supposed to be warmer, but I haven't tried the Pursuit ones you're looking at. The AmFib shell helps block wind and resist rain on the front side, and it works really well for that.

I just wear a pair of merino briefs under them, and that does the job down to 10 degrees or so.
Sounds good, especially the wind shell, Resisting rain can be an impossible task, but I presume I would wear them below 32°F, where water resistance to snow would be a benefit.

I do have rain pants for temps above that, worn with a base layer of a weight depending on the temperature.
Originally Posted by mcours2006
"Water-repellent in light rain" is not much of a claim. I do have a pair of Sugoi pants that are similar with the thicker panel in the front, and it appears to be waterproof or repellent, but they are not.

Last week in a heavier consistent rain there were good for about 10 minutes before I felt the cold damp rain on my thighs.
On my beater bike, one pannier bag contains my ever-present rain pants, Gore-tex wrap around shoe covers, a long-sleeved, adequate cycling jacket, and a billed baseball cap…

IMO, the worst riding conditions I might encounter is rain at less than about 40° F, and I carry two pairs of relatively waterproof fisherman type gloves, one Neoprene and one rubberized, to get me to work.

A shower and a large table fan await me there.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-03-20 at 05:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.