Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front Wheel problems

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Front Wheel problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-19, 09:40 AM
temu80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front Wheel problems

Hi,

Just bought a new giant escape disc. Was ok at the start but now the front wheel is giving me a lot of sounds. First the front wheel gives off a humming sound if i move the bicycle slightly second is that the front wheel will give off rhytamatic click or squeals sound during cycling.

Help? Any idea what is wrong?

Thanks
Old 12-29-19, 10:01 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
Pick up bike front and give the wheel a spin. You should be able to locate the source of the problem. If not return to the shop where you got it.
Likes For Olefeller77:
Old 12-29-19, 11:36 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
I wonder if the humming is a very slight pad/disk rub, at speed it gets lost in the back round but when slow and otherwise quiet able to be heard/felt.

Clicks are a far different noise then a squeal. Clicks are often from bearings or spokes although a metal stemmed valve can wag back and forth and click against the rim hole. Squeals on new wheels can be the "rubber" dust cover (where the axle extends from the hub) rubbing on their seats or on the cone/spacers. A tiny drop of lube on the dust cover ends will change this. Andy
Old 12-30-19, 09:21 AM
temu80

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks!. I tried adjusting the calipers position and only succeeded in over torquing the screw and breaking off the head. Managed to extract the broken screw and i am back at the bloody disc rubbing against the brake pads. Really wonder if this is a warranty issue that i can raise.
Old 01-03-20, 12:57 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
Sounds like you should take it to the bike shop where you got it. You mentioned that it is a new bike. That is the purpose of dealing with the local bike shop.
Old 01-03-20, 01:53 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by temu80
thanks!. I tried adjusting the calipers position and only succeeded in over torquing the screw and breaking off the head. Managed to extract the broken screw and i am back at the bloody disc rubbing against the brake pads. Really wonder if this is a warranty issue that i can raise.
I had a problem with the disc rubbing the pads on a (formerly) new bike. The issue was the garbage OEM Tektro calipers, organic pads with the surface area of a penny & small 160mm rotors. The heat would warp the rotors regularly & the absence of heat capacity often meant lots of fade to no brakes at all. That the caliper had no pad adjustment & that the posts the caliper rested upon had no conical washers for alignment didn't help with pad to disc contact either.

The solution, in my case was TRP Spyre calipers, with sintered (semi-metallic) pads, a 180mm RT99 Icetech rotor & post mounts with conical washers to allow proper caliper alignment relative to the rotor.

Not saying heat warp is specifically your issue, but if it is, a step up in system capacity certainly wouldn't hurt. I've never known a centerlock Icetech to warp. I have known a 6-bolt Icetech to warp, but it flatened out as soon as it cooled.

Many of my brakes get hot enough to discolor blue/brown. Rain sizzles & sometimes I can smell them...so maybe I push them harder than some? I dunno. But I do know OEM brakes usually aren't up to par if you ride agressively & are heavy. as is the case for me.

I'm sure at this point the rest of the thread will be about a complete upgrade to TRP HY/RD or hydraulics or some such hollaballoo in your brand new bike. That's just extra cost, complications, & maintenance. Plain Spyres & 180mm Icetech rotors will get you sorted.

Car dependency is a tax.