Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

No voice navigation on Garmin 830 and similar GPS devices?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

No voice navigation on Garmin 830 and similar GPS devices?

Old 01-02-20, 09:24 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by sapporoguy
fe.
I was thinking of buying a Garmin 830 for its specialized functionality, maps and long battery life..
But what's this?
It doesn't generate its own voice? No earphone jack and no way to beam a voice into bluetooth earbuds?
The newer Garmins can use your phone to make voice announcements. That is, they relay the turns to the phones and let the phone do the voice generation.This should let the phone run for much longer than doing everything on the phone. One reason the Garmins don't do this without the phone is because the computers in them are slow (another way to make them run longer).
I've never tried it.

How hard could it be for Garmin to embed in its $400 cycling GPS what it offers in its $199.99 Drivesmart car device:
There's no issue with car devices being large or running out of power.

but doesn’t this mean having the screen on all the time, sucking battery? And this works in strong sunlight? Serious question, not rhetorical!
The Garmin Edges are engineered for this use.

The screens they use are a special type called "transreflective", which allows them to be readable in sunlight without a backlight (which is the think that uses the most power). It's not perfect but it works reasonably well.

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-02-20 at 09:34 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 01-02-20, 12:52 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
There's no issue with car devices being large or running out of power.
That makes a lot of sense. As I mentioned above, I have my Garmin configured for maximum battery live (WAAS turned off, etc.) and the Garmin in my truck has a choice of dozens of languages, that might be a lot of power hungry computer power to do voice which certainly is convenient to someone in a car driving at freeway speeds, but not really needed for bicyclists.
Old 01-02-20, 01:29 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The newer Garmins can use your phone to make voice announcements. That is, they relay the turns to the phones and let the phone do the voice generation.This should let the phone run for much longer than doing everything on the phone. One reason the Garmins don't do this without the phone is because the computers in them are slow (another way to make them run longer).
I've never tried it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZlq3sAIG1c

Well, who knew !. I did look thru my 1030 manual, no mention of course. The Garmin manuals truly suck.

A thanks to NJKayaker for this little tidbit.

@OP, this means you can get voice prompts from a recent Garmin, and garmin has rally good navigation and maps so this might work for you. Only issue I can think of is I'd doubt the phone BT is going to be smart enough to do a simultaneous BT voice prompt to the phone at the same time you are trying to do a BT connection to a set of headphones, mostly as BT connections can be stupid this away, so you might need a set of cabled headphones.
Old 01-02-20, 02:10 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
OP here. Thanks again, all. In my defense, I was aware of the smartphone angle. This sentence in my post appears to have gotten lost lower in the thread:
It appears I'd have to pair the Garmin with a smartphone to get voice navigation. So I'd have to have two devices running at the same time?
Old 01-02-20, 02:21 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
that might be a lot of power hungry computer power to do voice which certainly is convenient to someone in a car driving at freeway speeds, but not really needed for bicyclists.
That thought occurred to me. But I can run RWGPS in offline mode (GPS only) pretty much a full riding day on my iPhone 6s in airplane mode and low-battery mode with voice prompts. But I guess it isn't doing all the other stuff the Garmin would be doing.
Maybe I should stick to the iPhone and buy the 830 for my stoker!
Old 01-02-20, 03:50 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Well, who knew !. I did look thru my 1030 manual, no mention of course. The Garmin manuals truly suck.

A thanks to NJKayaker for this little tidbit.

@OP, this means you can get voice prompts from a recent Garmin, and garmin has rally good navigation and maps so this might work for you. Only issue I can think of is I'd doubt the phone BT is going to be smart enough to do a simultaneous BT voice prompt to the phone at the same time you are trying to do a BT connection to a set of headphones, mostly as BT connections can be stupid this away, so you might need a set of cabled headphones.
Sounds like it's Garmin to phone, and phone to earbuds. Your phone can do concurrent Bluetooth connections. I have my (Garmin) watch connected to my phone 24/7 and sometimes also use the phone to stream to BT speakers. Works fine. Never a hitch.
Old 01-02-20, 04:15 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Sounds like it's Garmin to phone, and phone to earbuds. Your phone can do concurrent Bluetooth connections. I have my (Garmin) watch connected to my phone 24/7 and sometimes also use the phone to stream to BT speakers. Works fine. Never a hitch.
I have a set of BT headphones around, I'll try it next, but a big thanks to njkayaker for this link, I tried it on my 1030 and paired iPhone 8 with plugged in headphones when I got home, setup no problem, you just need to turn up the volume in the Garmin Connect App, but otherwise is a painless setup.
Old 01-02-20, 05:26 PM
sapporoguy

I have a set of BT headphones around, I'll try it next, but a big thanks to njkayaker for this link, I tried it on my 1030 and paired iPhone 8 with plugged in headphones when I got home, setup no problem, you just need to turn up the volume in the Garmin Connect App, but otherwise is a painless setup.
Let us know what you find about battery life with this setup, for both the 1030 and the iPhone. And how seamless it is--or isn't. Thanks!
Old 01-02-20, 05:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

How do you adjust volume for GCM? I didn't know you could do that. 🙂
Old 01-02-20, 05:49 PM
Seattle Forrest

Agree, thanks @njkayaker!
Old 01-02-20, 06:08 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Maybe I should stick to the iPhone and buy the 830 for my stoker!
Oh, you did not explain that. With a stoker being your back seat driver to provide voice directions, you could use virtually any GPS without any extra hardware or software. <Insert chuckle here.>
Old 01-02-20, 06:24 PM
Steve B.

How do you adjust volume for GCM? I didn't know you could do that. 🙂
In the GCM app for Device Settings, on the same screen where you enable/disable the assorted audio prompts, there's an Alert Volume button. It uses the phones Up/Down audio buttons to adjust.

Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-02-20, 06:27 PM
Steve B.

Oh, you did not explain that. With a stoker being your back seat driver to provide voice directions, you could use virtually any GPS without any extra hardware or software. <Insert chuckle here.>
Which begs the joke about the older gentleman riding solo down the road on a tandem, gets pulled over by a cop, who tells him his wife fell off the bike about a mile back. "Oh, thank God" the old fart says, "I thought I'd gone deaf".
Old 01-02-20, 06:55 PM
sapporoguy

Ha! The way it works now, the stoker has the paper map. So I listen to the RWGPS lady telling me "In 1/4 mile, turn right." I repeat it out loud. Then the real-life lady with paper map says: "Oh she must mean turn at Olive Ave."
Old 01-03-20, 01:07 PM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Ha! The way it works now, the stoker has the paper map. So I listen to the RWGPS lady telling me "In 1/4 mile, turn right." I repeat it out loud. Then the real-life lady with paper map says: "Oh she must mean turn at Olive Ave."
Hmm. The Garmin will actually display right turn on X street, so I don't see why you need another lady telling you there is a turn when your stoker can do exactly that. That is how my daughter and I ride, she will tell me that a right or left turn is coming up because the Garmin actually displays the needed information. No paper map needed.

Now if you are riding alone, that is a different story, but for tandem riding two computers or GPS devices are totally unnecessary.
Old 01-03-20, 01:33 PM
urbanOrange

Bikes: 2020 Trek FX Sport 4, 2014 Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Another 830 user chiming in. I use and highly recommend Aftershokz Aeropex during rides. Once paired to a phone w/ Garmin Connect installed, with the alerts settings enabled, you can perfectly hear your surroundings plus the Garmin alerts, including voice navigation. These in no way physically cover/block your ears from hearing anything in your immediate environment. (They also sound pretty decent for music, although bass response will be less due to bone conduction tech. A fair trade-off IMHO when considering safety while riding.)
Old 01-03-20, 03:16 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanOrange
Another 830 user chiming in. I use and highly recommend Aftershokz Aeropex during rides. Once paired to a phone w/ Garmin Connect installed, with the alerts settings enabled, you can perfectly hear your surroundings plus the Garmin alerts, including voice navigation. These in no way physically cover/block your ears from hearing anything in your immediate environment. (They also sound pretty decent for music, although bass response will be less due to bone conduction tech. A fair trade-off IMHO when considering safety while riding.)
Thank you for the recommendation. Does wearing them interfere with sunglasses and/or helmet?
Old 01-03-20, 03:32 PM
urbanOrange

Bikes: 2020 Trek FX Sport 4, 2014 Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tunavic
Thank you for the recommendation. Does wearing them interfere with sunglasses and/or helmet?
No problem. It hasn't for me. I wear glasses with a Bontrager Circuit MIPS helmet. Just to be safe, though, you may want to just swing by a retailer that sells them to ensure they work fine with your sunglasses. Aftershokz make a few other models you might want to test out as well. Aeropex is just the newest one.

You do have to make sure the headphones don't get caught in the helmet straps when taking them off, though. The first time I rode with them, I thought I had lost them after discovering they weren't still on my head after removing the helmet. Luckily, they just got caught in the straps when I pulled the helmet off. (That time, I believe, I put them on AFTER I put the helmet on. Now, I always put them on first, then the helmet. No issues with them inadvertently getting pulled off. ) The Aeropex are so light that I don't even notice them when they're not playing any audio.
Likes For urbanOrange:
Old 01-03-20, 04:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

In the GCM app for Device Settings, on the same screen where you enable/disable the assorted audio prompts, there's an Alert Volume button. It uses the phones Up/Down audio buttons to adjust.

Thanks for this. I don't seem to have that page, oddly enough.
Old 01-03-20, 04:55 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Which begs the joke about the older gentleman riding solo down the road on a tandem, gets pulled over by a cop, who tells him his wife fell off the bike about a mile back. "Oh, thank God" the old fart says, "I thought I'd gone deaf".
Told that one to my wife/ stoker IMMEDIATELY.
Old 01-03-20, 07:22 PM
Steve B.

Thanks for this. I don't seem to have that page, oddly enough.
I think the device has to be powered on and connected to GCM for it to show up.
Old 01-06-20, 02:18 PM
Seattle Forrest

The only Garmin computer I have is a watch, so it's always powered on and connected to the phone. But the feature set is close to an Edge, not identical. This must just be something you get and I don't.