Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Protection from chainring, working within derailer limit.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-12-20, 08:51 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts

I contend with a couple of issues and am wondering if this component would work with my Shimano 105 front derailer: the Litepro 56t chainring with integrated guard. The first issue is my trouser leg getting caught by the chainring. Just today I was excited to get out on my bike, but then forgot to tuck my trouser leg into my sock and then Scrage! - my pant leg was getting chewed up in something. I want to try a chainring guard. The second issue is that I want to switch to a larger chainring. So can I just get the larger chainring and a longer chain to accommodate it? To handle both of these issues, I am considering the Litepro 56t chainring with integrated guard but am unsure if the front derailer would work with it. The limit of the Shimano 105 f.derailer is 56t, so that's what I'm interested in.

Last edited by Nyah; 01-12-20 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Removed image because it was distorting the text of my message.
Old 01-13-20, 12:44 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
For the trouser issue, I just use some velcro around my ankle. You can buy a reflective one rather cheaply even.
Likes For katsup:
Old 01-13-20, 02:11 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Originally Posted by katsup
For the trouser issue, I just use some velcro around my ankle. You can buy a reflective one rather cheaply even.
My plan is to get a larger chainring w/a built-in guard. I'm posting about it because I want to know if it will be compatible with my Shimano 105 front derailer.
Old 01-13-20, 02:34 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
You are making a simple fix complicated.

You need to consider the following:
  • Model of 105 (there are many generations, they are not all the same
  • Longer chain
  • Same bolt pattern as your current chainrings and will it pair up to your other chainrings nicely.
  • How will it affect your front shifting
  • Enough space on your frame to move the front derailleur (braze on or water bottle boss in the way)
​​​​​​I'm sure I'm missing some other points as well. If you decide to get it, let us know how it goes.

Edit: Bike frames have a max size as well. Look up your bike as you don't want the 56t to hit your chainstay.

Last edited by katsup; 01-13-20 at 02:46 AM.
Likes For katsup:
Old 01-13-20, 05:55 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Well it seems to pass except for knowing what model of 105 derailer and how the combination will effect the shifting. I did decide to order it. Will report back about it later.

I realize that there are solutions to the trouser-leg-caught-in-chain problem which don't require a bike component switch. Since I wanted to go bigger on the chainring anyway, and I'd rather be able to get on my bicycle and start riding without making a switch/adjustment of clothing, this type of component is worthwhile to me.
Old 01-14-20, 02:04 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
At the risk of raining on a parade, the "chain ring guard" does not always work. Back in the old days the bike I had was a 52 tooth ring with a guard ring around it. Pant leg flopped over it all the time and if it wasn't getting greasy, it sometimes would catch a tooth and tear a hole in it.
Old 01-14-20, 03:49 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
At the risk of raining on a parade, the "chain ring guard" does not always work. Back in the old days the bike I had was a 52 tooth ring with a guard ring around it. Pant leg flopped over it all the time and if it wasn't getting greasy, it sometimes would catch a tooth and tear a hole in it.
That's isn't what I'm experiencing though. The inner seam of my trouser leg, about 2-4" above the bottom, is catching on the teeth of the outer chainring and tearing when I start pedaling. With those teeth no longer exposed, this problem won't happen. I think the problem you're describing might've been with a flared trouser leg draping over the chainring.

I'll be stoked if this component combo works!
Old 01-14-20, 06:39 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Straight leg pants certainly will make a difference. The guard just might work. Let us know.