Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I love winter but...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I love winter but...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-20, 07:41 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
There is no "but." Winter is not to be liked, even a non-winter winter such as Michigan has had so far. I don' t know which is worse about winter, the cold or the lack of light. Or all of the above.
Old 01-17-20, 09:47 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
As I got older, I learned to hate winter. But I missed my chance to move south after I retired, choosing to hang around the grandkids. Buy them bikes and stuff. You know. Teach them N is a big big number,Asked the oldest one day how many bikes she had, at age 4 and she knew, Even had ours counted out.

We had a good ride here the day after New Years. We have a little old lady, probably younger than me, who rides a low slung trike on our bike paths. Saw her yesterday on the bike paths while I was in my car, and it was only 25F.

That got me out this morning for a 20 minute ride when it was 23F, Darrn, I had my old ski goggle hanging off a peg in the garage. I should have grabbed them. Lots of wind chill.

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 01-17-20 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-17-20, 10:08 AM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
We’ve been enduring -35C to -40C temps over the past few days here in Central Alberta, Cda. Colder here than the South Pole! I don’t ride in the winter but definitely have a huge amount of respect for the few cyclists I see out on the roads.
Old 01-21-20, 09:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Batstar
We’ve been enduring -35C to -40C temps over the past few days here in Central Alberta, Cda
yikes! how are your cars holding up? you must all have electric core heaters plugged in all the time?
Old 01-21-20, 11:57 AM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
We're accustomed to cold weather here but the recent snap has even caught the most seasoned souls off guard. Kudos to this fellow who obviously sees things in a more positive light.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...nton-1.5430763

I can't speak on behalf of car owners in other parts of the country but most vehicles here are usually equipped with block heater cords. I've never had to plug my car in as it is almost always parked in an insulated albeit unheated garage. Still, when the mercury plummeted to -41C on Jan 15, firing it up took noticeably longer than usual. Definitely helps to have a battery with high CCA rating.

We finally received a reprieve this week when the jet stream pulled warmer air north and temps began to normalize to more seasonal levels. It actually jumped to +6C yesterday! Bizarre.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the country Newfoundlanders are digging out from a record snowfall. A phenomenon that you might be familiar with in your neck of the woods. Fat bikers rejoice!
Old 01-21-20, 04:21 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
I gotta google the conversion to farenheit. It's been cold here. I think it was in the teens the last few nights on my ride. There wasn't much wind last night. One night was kind of windy though, that ups the game a lot. I took my hand out and put it on my face once cuz I didn't want to get frostbit. I don't think I'm out there long enough to, but it depends on how cold it gets.

Either way it's still been relatively warm for us for this time of year. But we'll see when the first two weeks of February roll around. Those usually are the coldest all year, in my experience.