Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Plantar fascia

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-20, 09:17 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Go to Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Target, where ever. And buy the shoe inserts that say they are for Plantar Fasciitis. Like Dr. Scholls. Went to the foot doctor and got them for $700. Now I get them for $10.

https://www.drscholls.com/symptoms-a...tar-fasciitis/

They work. If I hear of a friend complaining about heel pain. I just buy them two pair. Always work.

BTW, I'm 63yo, so my circle of friends is mostly the retired crowd.
Old 01-19-20, 05:26 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Wow, a lot of advice. Blessedly, I haven't had any first hand experience with the issue. In general, though, my approach with orthopedic problems is to call the local professional or big time college athletic team and ask who they use. Their doctors will be the best, and are focussed on keeping their patients in the game.
Good luck
Old 01-19-20, 05:41 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Wow, a lot of advice. Blessedly, I haven't had any first hand experience with the issue. In general, though, my approach with orthopedic problems is to call the local professional or big time college athletic team and ask who they use. Their doctors will be the best, and are focussed on keeping their patients in the game.
Good luck
Athletic teams is a great place to start. Talking to others who have it or know about it is great.

Foot doctors (maybe not). They want to sell you the 300 dollar boots that probably don’t work.
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 01-19-20, 07:52 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
I concur with Rajflyboy, I got the $300 boot and $700 inserts. Could have just went to Walmart.

Note, colleges won't see this injury as it is for the over 40 crowd.

Take the advice of the people who have experienced it. Us.

Good Luck.
Old 01-20-20, 12:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Y'know who are great with foot problems? Doctors who have been in the army.
Old 01-20-20, 01:36 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Y'know who are great with foot problems? Doctors who have been in the army.
makes sense

rucking miles and miles with heavy weights and crappy boots
Old 01-20-20, 02:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
makes sense

rucking miles and miles with heavy weights and crappy boots

The GP I had just watched me walk and figured it out immediately. Years and years of having the problems misdiagnosed prior to that.
Old 01-20-20, 03:41 PM
BLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
That is my buddy Rico Abreu in the push up video. He is a NASCAR and dirt track racer.
Old 01-20-20, 04:20 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by BLR
That is my buddy Rico Abreu in the push up video. He is a NASCAR and dirt track racer.
I love Rico

I hope he can get back into Truck Series or Xfinity with a good team
Old 04-26-20, 08:28 AM
wolfpack95

Bikes: Felt ZA

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good info. Having some issues as a 50 year old and believe the main culprit is sleeping primarily on my stomach (toe down) then getting up too fast without some stretching.
Old 04-27-20, 03:26 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
[QUOTE=Rajflyboy;21287665]What are your techniques for fixing this issue? Thanks in advance.

I’m using the tennis ball today and planning on getting some lacrosse balls tomorrow and trying those to help losen the foot up.[/QUOTE

u need to use a special sock and or boot during sleep.
holds foot in up position as sleep.
stretch calf like a mad man as much as possible all day long.
no joke....stretch
get "TheStick " massage calf daily
it will improve in a week or two.
Old 04-27-20, 03:53 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Stretching every morning on my plywood angled block seemed to do the trick for me. stretching every day actually cleared up completely..
Old 04-27-20, 04:07 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Start fasting, it removes inflammation very quickly. otally cured my piriformis syndrome which I thought was impossible.
Old 04-27-20, 04:42 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
My neuroma has flared up the last few days, making walking unpleasant the way impaling your foot on a nail is unpleasant. Unfortunately, I can't stretch my way out of this one. /whinging
Old 04-27-20, 05:03 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfpack95
Good info. Having some issues as a 50 year old and believe the main culprit is sleeping primarily on my stomach (toe down) then getting up too fast without some stretching.
Even though I'm a bit shorter, I've always loved dangling the feet off the end of the bed while sleeping face down. Comfy, isn't it?

Assuming you don't have "headboards" at either end to get in the way, you can scrunch down, then hike your extra-long covers over you ... which, being extra-long, still remain nicely planted underneath the mattress while you sleep.

The ~75in covers never did it for me. The ~100in ones, though, that'll do it. With extra, and to spare. Keeps the feet in the more-natural, straight-down position (if sleeping face-down).

Once nice thing with this state-imposed stay-at-home stuff: there's more time to stretch fully and frequently. It's helping with plantar, piriformis, hip adductors/abductors, and all the rest. Gotta love that part. The other stuff (from the edicts), not so much.
Old 04-28-20, 07:13 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Sure wish the stretching, rolling a ball, etc. would have worked for me. The only thing that cleared mine up was a cortisone shot, after trying everything else. And still using the Powerstep insoles which were recommended, not the cheapest, but seem to last forever, come in your shoe size, and I needed some arch support anyway. Tried the cheaper ones sold in big box stores-no comparison. My wife worked on her feet all day and was having foot pain-bought her some and she now uses them in her shoes also. No, I'm not assoc'd with the company, but their product worked for us, so don't mind passing it along.
Old 04-28-20, 08:35 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Sure wish the stretching, rolling a ball, etc. would have worked for me. The only thing that cleared mine up was a cortisone shot, after trying everything else. And still using the Powerstep insoles which were recommended, not the cheapest, but seem to last forever, come in your shoe size, and I needed some arch support anyway. Tried the cheaper ones sold in big box stores-no comparison. My wife worked on her feet all day and was having foot pain-bought her some and she now uses them in her shoes also. No, I'm not assoc'd with the company, but their product worked for us, so don't mind passing it along.
it is not the feet...that is only where u have pain.
i suffered for years saw drs. almost had surgery.
insoles are not the cure.
please read my earlier post.
ive become a bit of an expert survivor of the issue.
😀
Old 04-28-20, 08:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Korina
My neuroma has flared up the last few days, making walking unpleasant the way impaling your foot on a nail is unpleasant. Unfortunately, I can't stretch my way out of this one. /whinging
I wish you well, I know how much those hurt first-hand.

The only thing that has helped mine is orthotics, and it hasn't flared up in years.
Likes For livedarklions: