Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

So What Really Killed the Viscount Aerospace?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-18, 08:08 AM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts

Yes, a polarizing title, but the headlines are what pull your eyes into the thread... I happened to be party to the conversation between some "non bicyclists" and one of them was recalling his owning a bike "... with a Death Fork". As far as I'm aware of, only the Viscount Aerospace model is remember with that distinct design element branded with the title of "Death Fork". I personally remember reading old bicycling magazines from the seventies, at the bike shop (in the eighties), and seeing the advertisements associated with the bicycle. I thought they were great; well thought out and enticing, especially to the engineering student that I was at the time. Sadly, no bike shop in the area sold them. The ads had a tie in to the aerospace industry, and it just so happens, the city I was living in was known as "The Air Capitol of the World" because of all of it's connections to the aeronautical industry. By the way, we never used any steel tubing for the structure of an aircraft at any time I was part of the industry. For hydraulic fluids... possibly, but not for the structures. Anyway, I'm curious as to any insights anyone might have into the "real" reasons that the specific Aerospace models might have failed. I know the forks had the recall, which certainly didn't help, but was it REALLY the reason that the models were dropped? I've heard that the cost of constructing their own parts (like derailleurs, brakes, bottom brackets, etc.) put a burden on the profit margins, and that could have contributed... And, basically all English built frames saw as shift away from what was perceived (and could have been) higher construction labor costs. I just wanted to hear from anyone who might have sold the brand and had a direct seat at the front of the show. Or, if you just have your own opinion and insights, I would love to hear them. Thanks in advance to any responses.

Last edited by uncle uncle; 05-19-18 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-19-18, 08:56 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
The fork issue was a big problem.
lugless construction was a hurdle
​the early adverts had a pretty young lass on a gold plated framed bike- customers wanted that. ( your pick the lass or the gold )
the derailleurs were meh.
and the big one- short supply when demand was big and thin profit margins even for the bike biz.
Yamaha got the distribution rights in the USA at the time of the recall. Lots of advert $ spent to announce the recall. The replacement fork did not have the visual cachet of the original. Too bad- some good ideas, an attempt to have a full branded bike, frame and parts.
Old 05-19-18, 09:07 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,409 Posts
Man, where is that 'this thread is worthless without pics' emoji?

I'm interested to hear too.
Old 05-19-18, 03:23 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Lambert had the death fork too, before it became Viscount. Also the Lambert-branded running gear, which was kinda cool but definitely not cutting edge in terms of performance. Also unconventional bottom brackets which many considered problematic. I think Lambert/Viscount/Viking's real problem was simply not selling enough bikes at a high enough price to stay solvent.

Trek also had a 'death fork' in the early 80's. Not an aluminum one, but supposedly enough examples of that particular model failed to get a bad rep.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 05-19-18, 03:55 PM
vtchuck

Bikes: Romic

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
I've owned both a Lambert and a Viscount Aerospace Pro

My Lambert was my first "real" bike and purchased in the early 70's. Loved that bike, but it did not return my affection. It pretty much fell apart and finally the frame broke.

The Lambert branded components were of poor quality, in spite of being innovative. Sealed bearing bottom brackets and hubs, cast one piece pedals w/ needle bearings and of course the solid aluminum "death fork"'

Viscounts used many of the Lambert component designs and seemed to improve some of the quality control issues, including a re-design of the fork.

Lots of interesting info here: Viscount & Lambert

Old 05-19-18, 04:21 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Huffman/Huffy had all of you beat with a death BIKE in like 1936.
Old 05-19-18, 04:44 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,594 Times in 3,781 Posts
My Aerospace Pro came with a combo of Lambert and Shimano components. I replaced the aluminum Death Fork with a Cromoly steel fork. I really should ride it more often than I do.

Aerospace Pro 004 by cb400bill, on Flickr
Old 05-19-18, 05:21 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
The ads made them seem like they were super advanced. They weren't. The only edge they had was that the frame was light for its price. All of the components were meh. But I coveted those bikes anyway. The geometry is normal-ish sport-touring, like a Raleigh Grand Prix, with the exception being that the clearance in the chainstays is a bit tight. I finally got ahold of one a few years ago. I had a 32mm tire on it, and it was tight. I converted mine to a fixed gear, so it's a nice light bike, but it doesn't have the tight handling of a track bike or even a road racing bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-19-18, 05:33 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,691 Times in 2,611 Posts
The marketplace killed it just like most other brands that no longer exist. Even used ones go for relatively little money. A friend had his listed on CL for $30 for months before he finally found a willing buyer.
Old 05-19-18, 05:39 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Viscount Pro Sale by cb400bill, on Flickr
Old 05-19-18, 05:40 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Viscount 3.75 lb frame by cb400bill, on Flickr
Old 05-19-18, 05:58 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I owned a Viscount Aerospace a few years back. It was one of the top 1 or 2 worst bikes I have owned. You had to work twice as hard to go half as fast of my other bikes.
Old 05-19-18, 06:42 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
The ads made them seem like they were super advanced. They weren't. The only edge they had was that the frame was light for its price. All of the components were meh. But I coveted those bikes anyway.
I guess some of the ads did push the "advanced design" aspect as well as the weight/price point aspect. I think the take on using an "aerospace" material does set it apart, maybe in material, or maybe just in how it was presented to the public. It could be debated if the lugless brazed frame was advanced for it's day, or just a not-as-often seen method, again, presented to the public as if was ground breaking. I like to think that the frame was ahead of it's time because of it's construction method using that material, but I also understand that that point is debatable. Today, we have super light, lugless, steel bicycle frames that compete with aluminum and composite frames. The pressed in sealed bearings for the bottom bracket seems, to me, closer to what new bicycles use now, when compared to the convention of the day (aka the cups and ball bearings setup). One can see the origins of the "threadless" bottom bracket units, if one squints pretty hard at the Viscount setup.
One groups attempt to advance designs, and falling short, then having some other group, at a later date, use some aspects of the prior design, blended with better technology, design methods, materials, tolerances, or whatever... can in retrospect make it appear that the original effort was somehow "ahead of it's time". Maybe the Viscount Aerospace was advanced, or maybe it wasn't. It's just enjoyable debating such things.
Old 05-19-18, 06:46 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
I owned a Viscount Aerospace a few years back. It was one of the top 1 or 2 worst bikes I have owned. You had to work twice as hard to go half as fast of my other bikes.
My '72 Lambert isn't all that bad, but it's notably whippy compared to a more modern steel frame of similar weight. So yeah, that extra flexiness has its price.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 05-19-18, 08:19 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
My understanding from what was written by a former Lambert/Viscount employee on the Classic Rendezvous list is that Lambert was far over its head in debt when Yamaha purchased its assets and changed the name to Viscount. Yamaha kept the operation in England going until all the old stock in England was depleted, then moved production to Japan, and then lost interest and let the brand die.
Old 05-20-18, 06:40 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
My understanding from what was written by a former Lambert/Viscount employee on the Classic Rendezvous list is that Lambert was far over its head in debt when Yamaha purchased its assets and changed the name to Viscount. Yamaha kept the operation in England going until all the old stock in England was depleted, then moved production to Japan, and then lost interest and let the brand die.
What does that mean, over its head? Doing stuff they didn't understand? Like what? Or do you mean couldn't keep production volume up?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 05-20-18, 07:07 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
What does that mean, over its head? Doing stuff they didn't understand? Like what? Or do you mean couldn't keep production volume up?
The impression I got was that they were unrealistic in presenting their prospects for long term profitability to lenders and took on far more debt than they could sustain.
Old 05-20-18, 07:40 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Lambert borrowed money to develop proprietary components that, while innovative, did not perform well and often failed. For a summary, read Dale Brown's essay on the CR site Lambert bikes . Lambert was unable to repay the loans because the profits were being eaten up by warranty claims, sinking the company progressively deeper into debt, to the point were bankruptcy was imminent.

Bad news travels fast and by the time that Trusty/Yamaha took over, the bicycle's reputation was already tarnished. BICYCLING! magazine's review of the revised model certainly didn't help. The review mentioned past problems and a gave a less than glowing review, citing a flexy fork and pedal issues. Basically, it raised a red flag to everyone who might not already have been aware of the bicycle's history. Then Yamaha/Trusty issued the fork recall, which was the last straw in the public's mind. Under such circumstances, it's not surprising that sales were poor and the plug was pulled.

Last edited by T-Mar; 05-20-18 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-21-18, 10:52 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Thank you, @T-Mar and @JohnDThompson. Those are answers to the original question.

The pedals were crappy. The brakes were crudely made but work just fine. I kept the front brake on my fixie conversion. I had a pair of the hubs long ago. They were not so well machined, but they worked fine. I'm still using the original headset and bottom bracket on my bike.

But I don't feel it's a totally crappy bike. You got your money's worth.

It's interesting but I guess not surprising that some find the frame to be whippy. I'm pretty lightweight and not terribly powerful, so I can't notice it.

Likes For noglider:
Old 05-21-18, 11:30 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Here's the advertisement from the issue of BICYCLING! that featured the Viscount Aerospace road test. Two page, full colour advertising was very expensive at the time, so it indicates how hard (desperate?) they were trying to push the bicycle.

Old 05-21-18, 03:21 PM
vtchuck

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Actually, Yamaha never purchased Viscount, but rather became their U.S. distributor. Primarily a motorcycle company, they wanted to be part of the "bike boom".
Old 05-21-18, 03:32 PM
vtchuck

Originally Posted by rjhammett
I agree. After spending considerable time and cash to restore mine, I found the ride to be disappointing, to say the least.

I don't regret buying and restoring it.... it was great fun, I learned a lot and it kept me occupied during a long winter.

Interestingly, the aluminum fork was very heavy. More than 531 and other cro-mo I compared it to. Weighed as much as your entry level Hi-Ten fork. Switching out to the replacement steel forks provided by Yamaha actually saved a few ounces.
Old 05-21-18, 03:56 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Thank you, @T-Mar and @JohnDThompson. Those are answers to the original question.

The pedals were crappy. The brakes were crudely made but work just fine. I kept the front brake on my fixie conversion. I had a pair of the hubs long ago. They were not so well machined, but they worked fine. I'm still using the original headset and bottom bracket on my bike.

But I don't feel it's a totally crappy bike. You got your money's worth.

It's interesting but I guess not surprising that some find the frame to be whippy. I'm pretty lightweight and not terribly powerful, so I can't notice it.
I didn't. My '73 Lambert (lugged so it might have been made earlier) cost me thousands and years of my life. Fork broke and left me in a 5 day coma. It did provide me with a raceable bike and opened that door for me. (And racing ultimately saved my life. Only because I raced was I wearing the goofy original Bell Biker helmet and therefore, lived.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-21-18, 04:45 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Never rode one, but I briefly owned one. The chainring was cool (about all I was even marginally impressed by).
Old 05-21-18, 05:31 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Viscount/Lambert killed it. How? By making some odd/dumb choices on the build. Square taper BB spindle I understand, square with no taper I don't. Aluminum fork? OK. Aluminum fork with a pinned steer tube attachment? Nope. And so it went. And see above on fork weight. They could have just bought a decent cromoly fork from Asia, lighter weight, no design compromises, and ultimately, no costly recall.

All in all, I would say they made some really questionable decisions, and in business, it doesn't take that many bad decisions to kill a company.

Really IMHO when the Japanese arrived in the early 1970s with some nice bikes, with standard part sizing, well built, at a low price, it spelled the end for many bike companies. That along with the end of the boom, where you could sell anything, even a POS BSO, ended it too. Don't get me started on Schwinn. They knew how to build something decent, but instead, they continued to pump out the same old heavy bikes. Profits hide problems, and just because you are sold out (the boom) doesn't mean it will last! And once the change comes, its hard for an organization to change fast enough to respond.

Last edited by wrk101; 02-26-22 at 08:45 AM.
Likes For wrk101:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.