Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Giving up riding on the road

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-20-19, 07:20 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I understand the OP's position. I think that he has come to terms with the tradeoffs of enjoyment versus risk.

My children and grown and married. My wife will be very well taken care of whether I live or die. I expect not only to die one day, but to not be able to choose the method of my own demise. Why not riding my bike?

Make your peace with all men and with your Creator...then live life without fear.

Risk vs Rewards Each of us must weigh the two and find a balancing point. If there is no happy equilibrium to be found then it's time to find something else.

My kids are grown and have their own families. My wife takes care of me financially and I'm happy/proud of it. If she didn't want me to ride, she wouldn't have spent $$,$$$.00 on my bicycling habit.

I have no need/desire to make peace with others or with a creator. Life was not something of my choice but continuing it IS and whether I get hit by a car while bicycling, fall off a ladder, slip on a banana, have my cancer totally take over and kill me, avail myself of my own "exit stage right" resources or make it to my "natural expiration date" I will ride the roads keeping eyes facing forward with glances in my eyeglass mirror and hope for VERTICAL SPACIAL ORIENTATION from clip in to clip out.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 12-20-19, 07:27 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Good point about the availability of other options. IMO, the risk is not being killed but incapacitated. As a septuagenarian, I might never recover from a broken hip, for example. I might then have to live another 20 years, a burden to my wife and wasting resources. I've never been comfortable running, I'm phobic about public swimming pools and I'm not near good trails. I do have extensive low traffic rural roads virtually on my doorstep. I weigh the risk against the certainty that I would become even more demented if I didn't get outside and exercise. It is a dilemma
Indeed. I don't want to be a long term burden on my family no matter what could cause that to happen to me.
Old 12-20-19, 07:31 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by North Coast Joe
I left the road (for the most part) about three years ago for all of your reasons (and a few different ones).

Overwhelmingly the sense of family based responsibility as primary income source (only while alive) was the justification. However, Leaving the road had so many upsides that the roadie experience was not missed in the least. Before cycling, I was always an outdoorsy type who was trekking down trout streams, upland bird hunting, etc. I was stunned to find I could negotiate those same trails via MTB more quickly, and falling less than when I stumbled through on foot! Enough reason right there!!

I'll still get the bikepacking whip out and make a beer run to the neighborhood store a mile away on the road, but never saddle up for a 50 mile ride. I'll spend 2-3 hours riding through the woods instead. Not at MTB race speeds, but picking my way carefully. Let me mention how that improves your cycling skills: trackstanding, bunny hopping, climbing, manuals and so forth are practiced daily; never did that as a roadie much. I run my hound attached to the bike through the woods, too. Wouldn't consider that on the road!

It's your choice. I rode solo so didn't have cycling companions to leave behind. That might be different for you, as well as other personal preferences
Off road riding always teaches more than on road riding.
Old 12-20-19, 07:46 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
I've only been cycling for 3 years and was hit by a car and had a nasty crash on the road. I predominantly bike in the country and have only recently had any close calls when I accidentally mapped a portion of a solo double century on a highway, even though it was in the middle of nowhere and I had a shoulder, the cars were just too close for comfort, so, now I try very hard to map around state highways and such.

Realistically, I'm an incredibly cautious cyclist now, a lot more so than prior to being hit by a car (was not a happy situation, bike destroyed, flung 30 feet from the site of impact, loss of consciousness, lost tons of skin, got a MRSA infection... no broken bones though). At circles, 4 way stops, lights, adjoining streets, I always assume the person in the car is going to do the stupidest possible thing and plan accordingly.

Now, I want to be clear, I have cut down on road races and crazier A rides quite a lot due to the possibility of crashing, but have only upped the amount of sheer road riding I've been doing, even with my past issues. The reason being, I have access to unlimited country roads, I live in a suburb of Milwaukee in Wisconsin and if I go any direction that is not Milwaukee the worst I typically have to deal with is an escaped cow standing in the road (you would be surprised how many times this has occurred).

If I were in your situation, where my typical rides were congested traffic streets and close calls are typical then I couldn't agree more with you, I would probably take the safest route away from the traffic and city, ride in the country for hours and ride back. If that wasn't an option, then I would likely start looking into other disciplines because that doesn't sound fun at all. I should also point out though that from my perspective I don't commute by bike or really use my bike to do anything other than use it to gain fitness if I ever even need to get a bit to eat I'll normally just hop in the car...
Old 12-20-19, 07:51 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
I sometimes wonder why it's not a law in all states that one can't be on a handheld cellphone while driving. In KY, it's only under 18 that bans talking on a handheld cellphone while driving. There is discussion that 2020 may bring about a change--hopefully!!
Old 12-20-19, 08:10 AM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
After about 30 years of riding on the road, I'm seriously considering giving it up. Several things have given me pause:
  • Getting hit by a car two years ago
  • Increasingly dealing with narrow misses due to oblivious / distracted driving on most rides
  • Jerks deliberately driving dangerously on most every ride
  • The availability of good alternatives: extensive limestone paths around my house, single track, gravel roads etc. I enjoy running, I enjoy swimming.
  • General responsibilities of being a father/husband/main earner.
  • I live in an area not very conducive to riding anyway: terrible weather, lots of traffic, limited route options etc

Overall, I also have a general sense that I'm "swimming upstream" by riding on the road. Drivers seem in general agreement that we have no right to be there. Police won't defend my rights to be there. Courts generally grant great leniency to drivers. Co-workers think I'm crazy. Wife has said she's terrified every time I ride on the road. Etc.

So, I think I'm done here. Anyone else feel similarly?
If riding conditions were like that where I live and given you’re experiences I’d most likely quit also.
Old 12-20-19, 08:14 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Originally Posted by freeranger
I sometimes wonder why it's not a law in all states that one can't be on a handheld cellphone while driving. In KY, it's only under 18 that bans talking on a handheld cellphone while driving. There is discussion that 2020 may bring about a change--hopefully!!
No need to hand-hold at all.

Breaker-Breaker 1 9, anyone remembering those days eons ago where one also had to key the mic? 10 4???
Old 12-20-19, 08:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,289 Times in 7,228 Posts
If I stopped riding on roads I would lose my primary form of transportation during acceptable weather. My vacations would also be a lot less interesting, although I have been incorporating more and more lightly travelled dirt roads into my tours.

Last edited by indyfabz; 12-20-19 at 08:24 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-20-19, 08:19 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
No need to hand-hold at all.
True, technology exists to eliminate hand holding even if just using an earbud/microphone set.

However, I see people hand holding and looking down at their phone at the rate of probably 1 car out of every 4 at the very least. And that's only when I'm actually looking for other driver's eyes. No telling what the count would be if I could look at everyone.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 12-20-19, 08:20 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I ride on the roads for transportation as well as recreation. I actually feel a bit safer on my bike than I do walking or driving - there's less to hit and it's faster than trying to dodge on foot. I can point to places on my transportation routes where drivers, passengers, and pedestrians have been killed - one guy was even killed crossing the street to catch a bus. It sucks when something bad happens, but I've known enough people that have been similarly banged up while driving or walking.

IMO, a big issue (in addition to distracted driving) is that there are more people and more and larger vehicles. Infrastructure just is not keeping up - a quiet country road is great until there are half a dozen subdivisions, and a narrow shoulderless city street is fine until there's a traffic jam. I don't like sitting in traffic, either. Cyclists are an easy scapegoat.

I can certainly see why more people are driving further out to find quieter roads or taking to gravel, MTB, and even indoor riding. It's not my thing, but I respect it. Honestly, the biggest hazards I've encountered in recreational road riding are squirrely group members. I love the rush of a fast paceline as much as the next person, but I choose my riding companions very wisely!
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 12-20-19, 08:48 AM
stormpeakco

Bikes: Fatback Corvus 1X12 (27.5X 2.8" & winter 26X 4.6"), Merlin Agilis 1X11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
After about 30 years of riding on the road, I'm seriously considering giving it up. Several things have given me pause:
  • Increasingly dealing with narrow misses due to oblivious / distracted driving on most rides
  • The availability of good alternatives: extensive limestone paths around my house, single track, gravel roads etc. I enjoy running, I enjoy swimming.
  • I live in an area not very conducive to riding anyway: terrible weather, lots of traffic, limited route options etc

Overall, I also have a general sense that I'm "swimming upstream" by riding on the road. Drivers seem in general agreement that we have no right to be there. Police won't defend my rights to be there. Courts generally grant great leniency to drivers. Co-workers think I'm crazy. Wife has said she's terrified every time I ride on the road. Etc.

Old 12-20-19, 09:03 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts

The bolded reason alone would be PLENTY enough for me to quit road! Throw in all the other reasons then it'd be a no-brainer to quit road for me.
However, I would still keep my road bike for that occasional long ride with the guys out in the open country or on some nice events.
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 12-20-19, 09:11 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Risk vs Rewards Each of us must weigh the two and find a balancing point. If there is no happy equilibrium to be found then it's time to find something else....

I have no need/desire to make peace with others or with a creator. Life was not something of my choice but continuing it IS and whether I get hit by a car while bicycling, fall off a ladder, slip on a banana, have my cancer totally take over and kill me, avail myself of my own "exit stage right" resources or make it to my "natural expiration date" I will ride the roads keeping eyes facing forward with glances in my eyeglass mirror and hope for VERTICAL SPACIAL ORIENTATION from clip in to clip out.
Absofreakinpositively!

Last edited by Digger Goreman; 12-20-19 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-20-19, 09:32 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I'll continue to ride on the road, because I enjoy it, and it's convenient. I will say that I enjoy it more since recently getting a Garmin Varia radar tail light, it's nice to know when the cars are coming/passing, and the variable flashing helps make me more visible.

That being said, I do love getting out on the gravel and away from the cars. I'm very much looking forward to riding a gravel century next week without seeing a single car (except for a few road crossings, but there are no vehicles on the gravel, just other bikers, pedestrans, and horses).
Old 12-20-19, 09:46 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
I understand the OP's concerns. I limit my riding on roads with a lot of traffic and avoid roads with a speed limit above 35 mph.

I'm waiting for permanent gridlock to happen, that is, a traffic jam that will be impossible to untangle. I'll be safe then.
Old 12-20-19, 09:53 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
Main roads are dangerous in this area and may get worse. Hand held phone is against the law here but most all still use them. Soon the legal dope (Weed) will probably make it worse. Some say that weed don't affect driving, But my good doctor sure doesn't agree.
I can understand the decision to give up the roads, but wish those that continue on a safe journey .
Old 12-20-19, 10:17 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
Several months ago I really bumped up my mileage. Same routes, same times, but I did see an increase in close calls. Just like anything that has a risk to it, it's a game of numbers. The more you see, the more it adds to your mental database of circumstances to be aware of. I can see myself backing off and devoting more time to the slower bike paths and trails in my area. I'm just not sure when that will be.
Old 12-20-19, 10:48 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
After about 30 years of riding on the road, I'm seriously considering giving it up. Several things have given me pause:…
  • Getting hit by a car two years ago...
Overall, I also have a general sense that I'm "swimming upstream" by riding on the road.... .

Originally Posted by jon c.
I'm fortunate to have endless miles of low traffic roads at my doorstep. So I always enjoy riding.

If I had to endure conditions I didn't enjoy, I consider doing something else.
Originally Posted by wolfchild
For commuting I am lucky to have different options which allow me to avoid having to ride on busy dangerous roads...

For recreational riding I do gravel roads/trails, rural roads with little traffic and singletrack trails...Distracted drivers and impatient drivers are the No.1 enemy to cyclists and it has gotten worse over the last few years.
Risk vs Rewards

Each of us must weigh the two and find a balancing point. If there is no happy equilibrium to be found then it's time to find something else.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
If I stopped riding on roads I would lose my primary form of transportation during acceptable weather.

My vacations would also be a lot less interesting, although I have been incorporating more and more lightly travelled dirt roads into my tours.
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I ride on the roads for transportation as well as recreation.

IMO, a big issue (in addition to distracted driving) is that there are more people and more and larger vehicles. Infrastructure just is not keeping up - a quiet country road is great until there are half a dozen subdivisions, and a narrow shoulderless city street is fine until there's a traffic jam. I don't like sitting in traffic, either. Cyclists are an easy scapegoat.

I can certainly see why more people are driving further out to find quieter roads or taking to gravel, MTB, and even indoor riding. It's not my thing, but I respect it.

Honestly, the biggest hazards I've encountered in recreational road riding are squirrely group members. I love the rush of a fast paceline as much as the next person, but I choose my riding companions very wisely!
I have previously posted to this thread:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Enjoying a nice little back road." ...

I have described probably similar “nice little ("enchanted") back roads,” akin to a classic “nice little black dress” in the fashion world.
All my cycling as a decades-long, year-round commuter and occasional centurian in Metro Boston ranges from dense urban, to suburban, to exurban, but no rural. I'm goal-oriented, be it miles or destinations, so I take the Road as it comes, to satisfy my Goal.

Over the years, I have described roads, so for this post I compiled my descriptions [of paved roads] in order of cycling pleasure
  • Enchanted
    ...There are certain roads I have discovered, unfortunately usually short, that I describe as “intimate,” or “enchanted”; so serene and peaceful, shady, lightly traveled, and without shoulders...
  • Exurban (no residences, no commercial buildings)
  • Residential: Urban (dense, multi-unit dwellings), Suburban (single unattached homes)
  • Light commercial (storefronts close to the sidewalk, street parking)
  • Heavy commercial (shopping malls, driveway accesses, parking lots)
  • Industrial: (dreary vistas, rough roads, debris-strewn)
  • Downtown (the urban canyons and narrow, often-crowded streets of Manhattan, or the Financial District of Boston
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'd probably flip the order between industrial and downtown because downtowns can actually be interesting and fun rides/destinations, and I'm generally not as concerned about getting mugged in the event of a flat as I would be in an industrial area, but otherwise would mostly agree with those categories as general .

I'd also break down the category of exurban a bit more. Big state roads have a very different appeal than the "intimate" road you have pictured, they're great for fast uninterrupted riding between distant points.
I was hit from behind by a “distracted” (? inebriated) hit and run driver on an otherwise seemingly safe and peaceful route.

By good fortune, I’m alive and relatively unimpaired.
...So even a "nice little back road" requires vigilance.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-22-19 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-20-19, 11:28 AM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by FiftySix
True, technology exists to eliminate hand holding even if just using an earbud/microphone set.

However, I see people hand holding and looking down at their phone at the rate of probably 1 car out of every 4 at the very least. And that's only when I'm actually looking for other driver's eyes. No telling what the count would be if I could look at everyone.
What REALLY ME is seeing a driver in a new $100,000.00 vehicle holding the phone and talking. If a $20,000.00 car has hands free technology I'm pretty sure that $$$ car also does. OH YEAH, guess they must not have had those FREE WHICH-WAY I'M TURNING lights installed.
Old 12-20-19, 11:41 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
What REALLY ME is seeing a driver in a new $100,000.00 vehicle holding the phone and talking. If a $20,000.00 car has hands free technology I'm pretty sure that $$$ car also does. OH YEAH, guess they must not have had those FREE WHICH-WAY I'M TURNING lights installed.
I remember when we bought our Honda Accord about 5 years ago. The salesman made it a point of telling us that he would setup our phones and the car so that they could talk to each other before we even left the lot. I told him that wasn't necessary because I am fairly tech savvy and could do it myself, but he insisted. Don't even get me started about people not using their Turn Signals.
Old 12-20-19, 11:49 AM
indyfabz

Giving up riding on the road I have previously posted to this thread:
tl;dnr Most likely no one did.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-20-19, 11:59 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Don't even get me started about people not using their Turn Signals.
When I was touring in the Black Hills of SD back in 2015 I noticed the first day that a lot of people weren't using them. The worst was when I was riding about 6 or 7 miles on I-90. I had to cross one exit ramp. I saw several people exit without using their signals. When I got close I stopped and made sure there was a high break in traffic before I proceeded across.

Earlier that day I stopped to take a nature break in the woods. Afterwards I was sitting in the grass soaking in the sun and fresh air. It was in an area where cell service was available after dozens of miles without it. Looked back down the road an saw a guy approaching a curve with something held up in front of his face. He didn't notice the curve until late. Nearly went into the grass, which would have sent him into the trees. In a panic, he overcorrected and nearly rolled his car. As he passed I could see the phone in front of his face. Even a near severe crash wasn't enough to teach him a lesson.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-20-19, 12:01 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,153 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Good point about the availability of other options. IMO, the risk is not being killed but incapacitated. As a septuagenarian, I might never recover from a broken hip, for example. I might then have to live another 20 years, a burden to my wife and wasting resources. I've never been comfortable running, I'm phobic about public swimming pools and I'm not near good trails. I do have extensive low traffic rural roads virtually on my doorstep. I weigh the risk against the certainty that I would become even more demented if I didn't get outside and exercise. It is a dilemma
It's an interesting topic. At 68, I pretty much share your general views on this; adapting is the question, I guess?

In my case, I've pretty much stopped riding the beautiful rural roads outside my city, mainly due to traffic that is rapidly increasing in both volume and speed, resulting from rapid urban sprawl, combined with the fact that most of these roads have no functional shoulder to speak of. Riding them used not to be a problem; now, I find myself getting (irrationally?) nervous. Probably the result of age and of some severe health issues two summers ago.

Which is odd, in a way, because I still ride singletrack when I can, and for some reason remain quite comfortable slicing/dicing in heavy in-city traffic.

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit it, but my solution for longer rides has been to become something of a MUPpet. A main entrance to our well-maintained, extensive, and rapidly expanding MUP system is about two blocks from my house. Once on it, I can now easily put together rides of 60+ kms without having to go into vehicular traffic at all. The system is part of our regional authority's park/eco-reserve network, and runs entirely along three river branches, which 'fork' at the centre of downtown. Fortunately, I'm not impatient with and don't get annoyed by the sometimes erratic and unpredictable behaviour of other path users. I've learnt where the open stretches are where I can speed things up a little, and treat the congested bits as opportunities to practice my low-speed bike handling 'skillz'. I treat gaggles of strollers, dogs, and the like as if they were rock gardens: can I get through this without upsetting anyone else and without dabbing?
Old 12-20-19, 12:14 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
It's not all or none for me. I accept that there are inherent risks to living like others have noted. Freak accidents happen. Driving a car is dangerous. Eating too much carb is dangerous. Having been hit from behind once has lead me to re-evaluate the way I ride on my commutes. The main goal is to minimize interactions with drivers, and so to this end I've resorted to riding park trails, short cut lane ways, and even sidewalks. I recognize the biggest threat to my safety is drivers in their cars. It has resulted in a slightly longer commute, but I'm okay with that.

I also do regular rides with a group on the weekends, but we ride on rural roads with good, straight sight lines, and sparsely traveled. I also think that being in a group helps with visibility and is safer. There are risks other than cars when it comes to riding in a group, but I am enjoying it.

OP, I do still occasionally question my own decision to continue to ride. I can list the exact same reasons you listed, but in the end it all comes down to the fact that I enjoy riding. There is no substitute for it. I run also, but it is not the same. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-20-19, 03:51 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I sometimes wonder why it's not a law in all states that one can't be on a handheld cellphone while driving.
It is a law in my area but people still do it...The law is not enough...Hands-free is not good enough because it can cause distraction and the person can still text on their phone..Infotainment systems is another thing which should be eliminated .....Vehicles need to have software installed which prevents cell phone usage while driving. If a person is driving they should be focused on driving and not fiddling with their infotainment system or texting on their phone.
Likes For wolfchild:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.