Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

ANT+ stick or dongle for Android phone

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 12-20-19, 01:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts

My Android phone lacks ANT+ so I'll need an adapter to work with my Wahoo sensors (speed and cadence; the Tickr is Bluetooth).

I'll use Wahoo Fitness to record my rides and trainer sessions.

Any recommendations with links for a Micro USB (B) port on the phone?

Most I'm seeing appear to be proprietary to Garmin and others, with no compatibility stated for the Wahoo Fitness app.

FWIW, I've been using a 2012 era Wahoo protective cover with ANT+ for my old iPhone 4s. But the Wahoo device is unreliable and the iPhone no longer holds a charge longer than about an hour with Bluetooth enabled.

And yeah, I probably should get a dedicated computer with GPS, ANT+ and Bluetooth.
Old 12-20-19, 02:19 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Wahoo has sensors that do BT and Ant+.

It’s somewhat surprising that your Wahoo sensors don’t support BT.

You might be better off getting a new sensor than having an ANT+ dongle sticking out of your phone.

It might not be much more expensive.

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-20-19 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-20-19, 03:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Yeah, the speed and cadence sensors are also 2012 vintage, part of an early Wahoo package for the iPhone 4. I may just leave those on the bike I use for the indoor trainer and get an updated kit with computer and newer sensors for the bike I usually ride outside.
Old 12-21-19, 12:23 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Ah, found a cost effective solution while I'm deciding on a proper bike computer than doesn't cost a fortune.

XOSS sells convertible speed/cadence sensors for $21, half the price of Wahoo and others. Reviews look okay for the sensors (reviews are mixed for the XOSS computer, and I'm leaning toward a Lezyne anyway).

The XOSS sensors do Bluetooth or ANT+, and can be used for speed or cadence. Some sort of mode selection process during the battery change. I'll figure it out when the sensor arrives next week. I ordered just one to try with my Android phone. If it works okay XOSS has several bundles for their computers, sensors and other doodads.

Main reasons I'm leaning toward a dedicated bike computer: supposedly the GPS is more accurate; better battery runtime per charge; notifications of phone calls/texts. I rarely stop to take calls or texts during bike rides, but I do need to know about some calls and texts so it'll be handy to have a bike computer on the handlebar/stem to display notifications.
Old 12-24-19, 06:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Okey dokey, problem solved. That XOSS speed/cadence sensor is Bluetooth and ANT+ compatible and convertible so the same sensor can be used for speed or cadence. Very handy. And apparently similar sensors are available even cheaper via Alibaba and other wholesalers.

I did a test ride yesterday, using one XOSS sensor for cadence, recording to my Android phone via Wahoo Fitness. Worked fine. I'll get another sensor for speed.

My old Wahoo ANT+ kit recorded cadence data but it never did transfer properly to Strava. The newer XOSS Bluetooth sensor does.

That'll do for now while I decide whether I really want a proper full featured bike computer. I'll probably go cheap and get a Lezyne mini.
Old 12-24-19, 08:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Too late to be helpful, but Samsung Galaxy phones all have ANT+ in them. Older ones are cheap.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-27-19, 04:08 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
There are similar accelerometer sensors from magene, s3+ or gemini, for $10 on AliExpress if you are willing to wait for shipping. I've never used them but you can find reviews on the internet. Otherwise I myself use the conventional sensor with magnets from coospoo, with the cadence and speed sensors attached together by wire. It was around $18. I have 20 inch wheels and the long wire between the sensors gave me enough reach between the magnets on the crank arm and spokes.
Likes For tomtomtom123:
Old 12-27-19, 03:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Yup, I've seen several dual-purpose cadence/speed sensors similar to the XOSS I got from Amazon. Those were a bit cheaper via ebay, AliExpress and others.

So far, so good, after two or three rides with the XOSS set to cadence mode and using Wahoo Fitness on my Android phone. My only real gripe was with the battery compartment. Resetting the sensor from cadence to speed mode requires removing the battery, replacing it and watching for the correct LED light signal to confirm the mode. The battery compartment cover was finicky and it took several tries to secure it while retaining the desired mode. But it's not enough to deter me from getting another since it'll be set once and left until the battery needs to be replaced.

I haven't tested yet to see whether the older Wahoo ANT+ adapter for my iPhone 4s picks up the XOSS sensor. I use the older Wahoo kit -- cadence and speed sensors connected via wire, mounted on the left side chainstay, and ANT+ adapter in a protective cover for the iPhone -- on my '89 Centurion Ironman steelie. It's been pretty reliable, with occasional glitches that show my speed or cadence far faster than humanly capable. While I can hit 160 rpm cadence for up to 15 seconds during HIIT sessions on the indoor trainer, I'm pretty sure I've never hit 250 rpm despite the sensor's assurance that I might be the Flash or Mercury reincarnate.

I'm going to order a second XOSS sensor for speed mode on my '93 Trek 5900. It'll be interesting to compare with GPS calculations via Wahoo Fitness and Strava. I'll bet it'll be very close. When I used a simple wireless magnet based speedometer it was usually very close to the GPS estimates via fitness apps. Eventually I removed the speedometer when I made some changes to that bike. Never got around to putting the bike computer back on and haven't really missed it.

But I might try one of the entry level Lezyne computers, just to add some GPS tracking and navigation aids. Usually I either ride familiar routes for training where I don't need any navigation aids, or when I'm feeling adventurous I just ride until I'm lost, then bumble my way back home and check the map later to see where I've been. But occasionally I've needed to pull over and consult my phone for maps when I was planning to meet folks along the way or find a particular place within a reasonable time. I have no sense of direction, which rarely bothers me. But it bothers other people so I'll use navigation as a courtesy for folks who aren't directionally challenged as I am. I think my most egregious offense was when a friend from out of town visited for a long ride and I accompanied her back to her hotel parking lot. I got lost and we bumbled around for 30 minutes in the cold rain before I realized I'd led us the opposite direction. She was a little miffed. So I'm more open now to using GPS navigation aids.