Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's Build My Peter Mooney.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-03-20, 05:40 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts

Hi, Everyone. Yesterday was a pretty good day for me. I was just drinking my morning coffee, still in my PJ's, when I saw this on CL. I almost spit coffee everywhere when I saw it, grabbed my phone, and immediately called the seller, who was in Pawtucket, which was a three hour drive. He said there was a guy who already got ahead of me and was making plans to come look at it. I said, "Call me if the deal falls through. I will come promptly and pay full price in cash." Well, that worked because 45 minutes later he called me and said that the other guy wanted to postpone until the weekend, and it was mine if I still wanted it. I just about feel out of my chair right then and there. He even said he'd gladly meet me halfway! That would shave and hour and a half off my trip! I got dressed and let the dog out out and was on my way. We figured out that Burlington, Massachusetts was halfway between us, and we met at The Cheesecake Factory, which was right off the highway.

Nice guy. Said he bough this at an estate sale, which he attended to purchase vintage camera equipment. The guy at the sale asked if he was interested in the frame, so he called a friend, and the friend said ,"BUY IT NOW." I have a feeling this guy got it super-cheap. Thing is, I feel that I got it super-cheap, and I am totally happy with this bike. It wasn't made for me, but the dimensions are perfectly suitable for my body.

So what I'd like to do here is begin a build thread for this bike, and I'd really love to hear suggestions from everyone here. I'm mainly interested in suggestions for components and what gruppo I should use. The rear dropouts are spaced at 130mm, so that means a maximum of a 10-speed cassette. I'm not opposed to using an 8 or 9-speed group if a nice one comes my way. Aesthetically, I would like to keep the bike looking traditional, meaning that I think it would look best if the components are all silver - no black! This frame is nice, and a frame like this deserves the very best.

Please help! Any and all advice welcome!

Last edited by J.Higgins; 01-03-20 at 06:34 AM.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 01-03-20, 05:51 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Wow super nice!! Jealous as it looks my size too. Looks like maybe it had wheels briefly clamped in, but looks to have never been built up?

With all the cool white lining I'd go with a full Sante group. Can't wait to see the build
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 01-03-20, 05:55 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Wow super nice!! Jealous as it looks my size too. Looks like maybe it had wheels briefly clamped in, but looks to have never been built up?

With all the cool white lining I'd go with a full Sante group. Can't wait to see the build
I think it may have been fit with a rear wheel to check the size, but it was never built. It even came in the original bubblewrap baggie.
Old 01-03-20, 06:21 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Nice Frame. To put it mildly. Do you know the year?
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 01-03-20, 06:31 AM
krecik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-14-21 at 09:09 AM.
Likes For krecik:
Old 01-03-20, 06:33 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by Wileyone
Nice Frame. To put it mildly. Do you know the year?
The seller listed it as '90's, and I'm guessing he is right because of the 130mm spacing. Right now, I'm composing an email to Peter Mooney with the serial number to actually nail down the details on this frame.
Old 01-03-20, 06:36 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by krecik
Damn, how much?

Very off topic but GrainBrain, is your name by any chance a reference to the nutritional guide book of the same name by David Perlmutter? If not, nvm.
The seller listed it at $625, and that's what I paid. Add on top of that half a tank of gas for my truck, and a Wendy's Dave's Double with cheese.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 01-03-20, 06:38 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,634 Times in 2,599 Posts
Wow, that’s the fanciest Mooney I’ve ever seen. Nice score! I’d suggest giving Peter a call at Belmont Wheelworks and seeing what he might tell you about it.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-03-20, 06:48 AM
krecik

​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-14-21 at 09:09 AM.
Likes For krecik:
Old 01-03-20, 06:50 AM
krecik

​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-14-21 at 09:13 AM.
Likes For krecik:
Old 01-03-20, 06:58 AM
Locomotief

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
That's an awesome find! Im subscribing to
Old 01-03-20, 07:01 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
The seller listed it as '90's, and I'm guessing he is right because of the 130mm spacing. Right now, I'm composing an email to Peter Mooney with the serial number to actually nail down the details on this frame.
I have a soft spot for Dura Ace 7700 with DT Shifters.
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 01-03-20, 07:06 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by nlerner
I’d suggest giving Peter a call at Belmont Wheelworks and seeing what he might tell you about it.
That's my plan for later this morning.
Old 01-03-20, 07:11 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Nice, don't know anything about the guy, but that's peanuts for a custom, hand crafted frame, look at his website:

The Frames ? Peter Mooney Cycles

Guy charges $3.5K for a frame!
And $495 for the fork!

Also is this the build thread? If not, post a link here if you make one, Ima subscribe.
Peter Mooney is a well-regarded New England framebuilder, and he's been around quite a while. This is a grail bike for me, and yes I will make this the build thread. Happy to have you subscribe!
Old 01-03-20, 07:21 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by Wileyone
I have a soft spot for Dura Ace 7700 with DT Shifters.
I was thinking of going full-Campy, maybe C-Record, but I have to admit that the Dura Ace 7700 is gorgeous groupset. In my eyes, the Campagnolo trumps it by a small - very small margin, mostly due to the Delta brakes. Maybe I'll do the Dura Ace, then up the ante with Phil hubs. Of course it goes without saying that I need to sell off a couple bikes to fund this build!
Old 01-03-20, 07:23 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Oh, and I would like to clarify that the pics in the first post were lifted from the seller's CL ad. He's an amateur photographer, and those pics are nice, so why not? I'm still learning how to use my Canon, despite the Dummy book my wife bought, haha. From here on, most pics you will see will be on the stand in my shop.
Old 01-03-20, 07:34 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
She's a beaut! Lucky guy.

Funny that the frame has fender eyelets but not the fork, maybe Mr. Mooney can shed some light on that from the serial number.

I'd look for a 10 speed alloy Chorus group to make it a go-fast rando type of racing machine.

Delta brakes would look great and of course an aero Record seatpost and maybe a Brooks Swift, Antique Brown always looks great on a red frame.

Record hubs laced to H+Son TB14 rims are a pretty classic look.
Likes For jet sanchEz:
Old 01-03-20, 07:39 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
That customer made a LOT of requests...sort of an odd mix of some british and italian nods to style.Love the color.

Definitely like it, and I'm not sure I've seen that brake bridge on a Mooney before. Odd they didn't go with a head-badge given the other choices.

For build? I'd probably go fat tire roadie with a light rear rack. Maybe a ti Tubus. You can't go wrong with Campy 8sp record...or the 9, especially the alloy earlier variant. Nice alloy bar - maybe traditional Cinelli.
Old 01-03-20, 07:49 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
The bike looks to be late 90s to mid-2000s given the head tube extension, which is a more recent design feature.

The presence of rear rack mounts and the head tube extension indicates the bike is intended for sports touring or commuting. But the lack of fender mounts is a bizarre choice given the rack mounts.

I'm sure Mooney can tell you the year and tubing, and maybe even the reasoning behind the somewhat odd frame spec.

I wouldn't build the bike with Sante or Dura Ace, as suggested. The fancy British-style lugs, 70s styling, and sports touring features ask for centerpulls and classic sports touring components in my mind, something like how a 60s or 70s Jack Taylor would have been built.

Some GB Coureur 66 centerpulls or modern equivalent would be cool. Maybe TA cranks and a Suntour Cyclone drivetrain. Some nice 32-35mm tires.

I personally wouldn't put on a traditional racing handlebar like a Cinelli. The deep drop and unusable ramps of a Cinelli cancel out the benefit of the head tube extension. Something with maes or randonneur bend would be better in my mind.

I'll also have to disagree with those who suggested a brown saddle or bar tape. Brown clashes with red. Black is a better choice to my eye.

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 01-03-20 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-03-20, 07:57 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 1,052 Posts
Awesome score. I saw that listed on CL and loved it.
And I am about to start a build thread on my recent Mooney score!

130 rear spacing will fit 11 and 12 speed too.
Old 01-03-20, 08:16 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
So, related, quick question since I'm seeing it. Can anyone familiar with Mooney provide a guess on this?

Is Mooney not a fan of thinning certain lugs stylistically or is it a by-request kind of thing maybe? I notice most when looking at the seat cluster .... the point forward the seat post, I often see other notorious builders (US, Italian and otherwise) love to really thin down but Mooney left this one rather thick here, starkly perpendicular edges. To me - personally, not to even trying imply anything negative - it's the one thing that looks somewhat out of character when I look how ornate and incredible this frame is otherwise.

Old 01-03-20, 08:32 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
130mm = 12 speed too. I'd go full Campy Super Record 12s.
Likes For shoota:
Old 01-03-20, 08:48 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
So, related, quick question since I'm seeing it. Can anyone familiar with Mooney provide a guess on this?

Is Mooney not a fan of thinning certain lugs stylistically or is it a by-request kind of thing maybe? I notice most when looking at the seat cluster .... the point forward the seat post, I often see other notorious builders (US, Italian and otherwise) love to really thin down but Mooney left this one rather thick here, starkly perpendicular edges. To me - personally, not to even trying imply anything negative - it's the one thing that looks somewhat out of character when I look how ornate and incredible this frame is otherwise.
None of the lugs on your bike are particularly thin. I'm guessing Mooney took quite a bit of time shaping and carving the lugs so spending even more time thinning them was just not in the books for the price of the bike. Additionally, I've no idea the weight of your bike but it looks to be built with durability in mind.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 01-03-20, 08:55 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
She's a beaut! Lucky guy.

Funny that the frame has fender eyelets but not the fork, maybe Mr. Mooney can shed some light on that from the serial number.

I'd look for a 10 speed alloy Chorus group to make it a go-fast rando type of racing machine.

Delta brakes would look great and of course an aero Record seatpost and maybe a Brooks Swift, Antique Brown always looks great on a red frame.

Record hubs laced to H+Son TB14 rims are a pretty classic look.
Yer tawkin' me language now! I want to keep it classic-looking, and I love all of your ideas, especially the H+Son rims, which I can get through my distributor.
Old 01-03-20, 08:58 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by shoota
130mm = 12 speed too. I'd go full Campy Super Record 12s.
That would probably make the bike go fast enough to go back in time, but I'd rather keep it looking classic with silver components.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.