Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Velocomp Powepod with a trailer?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-19-20, 11:22 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts

I've been looking at them for a while. The price is right and I like that I can switch between my gravel and road bike. For my purposes, the accuracy seems fine.

However, I'd estimate that 30-40% of my time riding is spent hauling kids in a Burley. It's a great workout and I don't need a sitter.

This thing works on accelerometers, wind speed, and an Ant+ connection to your speedometer. Would it figure out that I've got 50lbs behind me or would it just think I'm extra weak that day?

I guess I could just track power on trailer days and power without and just not compare the two. I'd sure love to see real numbers up some of the hills with my kids though.
Old 01-19-20, 12:15 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
I don't understand the calculations behind it all, but I suspect it will compensate for the extra weight just fine. Based on my casual perusal of reviews, the different types of bicycle power measurement all work reasonably well. Why would it be different if you your were carrying 50 extra pounds around your waist or behind you in a bike trailer?
Old 01-20-20, 09:19 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

I hear what you are saying, I guess I just can't visualize how the thing works. Their website mentions a calibration ride when swapping bikes, maybe the trailer would have to start with another calibration ride.

Has anyone seen one of these in the wild yet?
Old 01-21-20, 11:15 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
You could probably handle this with the cell phone app (at least on the higher level models), by calling the bike with the trailer a different bike than when riding without. You'll probably need to tell the Powerpod which "bike" it is when you change configurations, which you can do through a cell phone app. The "bike" when riding with a trailer will be a lot heavier, obviously, and you'll want tinker with the calibration, perhaps by telling it you're sitting upright when you pull the trailer. I expect you'll do a calibration run on each virtual bike.

You can play around with calibration factors quite a bit, if you have something to reference it to. A steady uphill climb is a good way to calibrate the beast, although that ride could easily be a beast when pulling the trailer.
Old 01-21-20, 11:22 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
My advice is to get a non drive side crank based power meter. I don't know what kind of bike you ride or what components you have, but a refurbished Stages Gen III 105 power meter can be had for $199. Check out the refurbished/closeout section on Stages web. Lots have been sold, but you may find what you need.
Old 01-21-20, 12:23 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by jadocs
My advice is to get a non drive side crank based power meter. I don't know what kind of bike you ride or what components you have, but a refurbished Stages Gen III 105 power meter can be had for $199. Check out the refurbished/closeout section on Stages web. Lots have been sold, but you may find what you need.

​​​​I thought about that. I also saw a used powertap on CL locally for $150.

I have a vintage Spectrum with 126 spacing, a franken-gravel with a JIS square taper with a Campy crank that also tows the trailer using a road set of wheels, then there is the 17lb full Campy steel road bike that I ride ride when I'm serious.

I put in enough hard efforts on all of these that I'd love to see power on each. That's why I'm looking at the velocomp. Honestly, I might get enough from it over 3 very different bikes that the trailer issue may not even matter.

I use a wrist mounted Garmin with Ant+, so it moves easily from bike to bike.