Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tommaso Bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tommaso Bike

Old 10-13-02, 09:45 AM
crowtee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tommaso Bike

I was wondering if anyone has heard of Tommaso road bikes, and if so are they ok bikes. I hav'nt been able to find any info on the web about them, except the bikeswholesale.com sells them.

Thanks
Mike wannabe roadie on a Fuji
Old 10-14-02, 12:34 AM
steversk

Bikes: Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also interested in any info on them...I saw the same ad on their website. Any idea of when they might be available there? It's only listed as coming soon. :confused:
Old 10-14-02, 07:04 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Name's been around awhile. The current ones from BikesWholesale look to be a decent buy at the advertised price but despite the name you're not gonna get hand made Italian beauty here. If you're riding one of the higher line Fujis I don't know how big a move up one of those Tomassos will be.

Old 10-14-02, 07:24 PM
kewlrunningz
The clock's run out

Bikes: Fondriest Top Level

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Tommaso Capri, the equivilent of the Trek 1000. Shimano Sora components and a descent pair of wheels considering I only payed $400 for it. I got mine off of ebay from bikeswhosale which was selling them and still is. They are a good bang for the buck but require frequent ajustment of the derailers as do all Sora equiped bikes. For a 24 lb bike I'm satisfied with it and since it's not the racing season I'm not worried about the weight. I do however plan on getting a :::drum roll please::: Trek 5200!!! in February/March. The Sora components are not the best in the world and certainly don't shift very cleanly but they get the job done. Other than that, the bike is great but you might want to look for some of the higher end Fuji's or any other bikes with Shimano 105 which won't cost that much more but will be far more productive components.
Old 10-15-02, 03:29 PM
crowtee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments. The bike is for my wife and the capri comes in 48 size so that was a selling point for us. I actually have been riding a fuji finest AL and i like it alot. So we wanted something similiar for her and could'nt get the fuji in 49 for the price she wanted to pay so it will probablly be the tommaso.

Thanks again, MIke
Old 10-15-02, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally posted by crowtee
I was wondering if anyone has heard of Tommaso road bikes, and if so are they ok bikes. I hav'nt been able to find any info on the web about them, except the bikeswholesale.com sells them.

Thanks
Mike wannabe roadie on a Fuji
I found the following post on the internet...not sure how accurate the info is. I was surprised at how little information was out there. I visited bikewholesales. The only reason I wouldn't purchase this bike is "if" anything happened to it after delivery, I would worry about replacement or repair costs. I believe there are other stable mfgs that have better bikes for the money.

Tommaso was a line of bikes that Ten Speed Drive imported from the mid 1980's til about 1994. They were made by several OEM builders in Italy.
Amoung them are Scapin and Gueciotti. The nicer ones(Columbus SL,SLX,TSX) all had very nice appointments and generally had some chrome. The lesser ones(Alle, CroMor) were more plain. Most of them can over sans paint and got painted at TSD in Florida. I have 3 of these fine bikes and another sister
bike in a 91' LeMond(TSD did them for a while too).
It seems that CCM in Canada has resorected the name and is selling some Chiness made bikes with the Tommaso name on them. I have seen one of these, do not confuse them with the older ones. Generally the older Tommaso's rode very nice, had excellent workmenship and lasted a long time. I will almost always buy one if they show up in my size(52-54). I have a NOS CroMor frame hanging over my computer desk right now!

Old 10-17-02, 12:44 PM
pokey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tommaso,the name, like several others was sold to someone else.Current crop,no direct relation to the older stuff.
Old 04-26-03, 04:16 PM
FOG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not worried about support after I buy a bike, only the value I can get. I end up doing my own maintenance anyway. I see from the pics on the bikeswholesale page that the newer tommasos seem to have a lower seat, higher handlebars- is this right? How do the bikes feel? How good is their carbon fork?
Old 08-26-04, 03:46 PM
RoadBiker1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a Tommaso Capri and absolutely love the road bike. You can't get a better value in the industry. I have taken it on long rides and the value for the price is GREAT. I looked at Treks which are exaclty the same and they want over 600 dollars. I am not going to pay extra to a dealer just for the Trek name. In addition, I bought it off of Ebay and have gotten great customer service. I onwed a Giant previously that finally died and i purchased the Tommaso. This is a good company that has responded to me in a timely manner.
Old 06-01-05, 06:49 PM
kinger9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Tomasso bike from Bikeswholesale.com a few years ago. This season, there was a crack in the frame in the head tube. I contacted Bikeswholesale.com which turned out to be the Randall Scott Cycling Company. I paid to mail the frame to them. They did determine that it was a defect in the frame and said they'd mail a new frame back to me as it was still covered under warranty. I did get a frame but it had been built up as a bike previously and had been scratched. Someone at the company tried to touch up the scratches with paint but used maroon paint instead of the red color of the frame. I can't speak to the general quality of Tomasso but can express dissatisfaction with the company you asked about.
Kinger
Old 06-13-05, 09:05 PM
roadie.extreme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Though I would ad my expereince about Tommaso. I purchased a Tommaso As2 from Randall Scott Cycle Company and couldn't be more pleased. Besides the great quality of the bike I was most impressed with the service of an online company which in my opinion was better than any of the 5 LBS I visited who didn't give me a second look, and were priced much higher. I 100% recommend Tommaso and Randall Scott Cycle Company. I have been riding for over 20 years and they took over 1 hour on the phone with me ( I am a pain in the butt) to go over sizing and which bike would be right for me. When the bike was delivered, I felt that the stem was too long and they replaced it no questions asked. I am very pleased and will buy online again from them and look forward to upgrading at some point to a full carbon fiber Tommaso.
Old 06-27-05, 03:07 PM
pacalolo

Bikes: Synapse Carbon, Vintage Spesh Steel, something aluminum

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Overall, I believe they're a pretty mediocre bike. Not as good as they say they are. My biggest beef is that I bought a TR 300 which was supposed to weigh 18.7 lbs..it's 23.5!! Their response was that I weighed it wrong (used a fishing scale--accurate to 2 oz) and that I needed to pull the pedals and reflectors. Yeah, that brought the weight down a pound or two.

I hate...hate...HATE being lied to by marketing people.

Pacalolo
Old 10-03-05, 01:26 PM
roadrider09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own the TR 300 and absolutley love it. For 829.00 nothing compares and trust me I did my LBs research first. In regard to the weight. I foyu know anyhting about bikes you YES need to take off pedals nand relectors. My bike comes in at 18.9 in 54cm w. seatbag on it.
Old 04-28-06, 09:59 PM
Romans1013

Bikes: GMC Denali Road Bicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was looking a www.rcycle.com, and they sell the Tommaso bikes. The new models I guess. I was trying to find some info on them to. They seem really nice for the price. If I am serious about getting into the sport, should I even consider these?
Old 04-28-06, 11:12 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Romans1013
i was looking a www.rcycle.com, and they sell the Tommaso bikes. The new models I guess. I was trying to find some info on them to. They seem really nice for the price. If I am serious about getting into the sport, should I even consider these?
You might save a few bucks with a mail order bike, but bike shop services are especially valuable to beginners. With a new bike, a good bike shop will include free sizing, free custom fitting, free tune-ups for a year, etc. An experienced cyclist might be able to study geometry charts and component specifications to figure out exactly what they want and what they will get. A beginner could easily find themselves with something that they cannot ride comfortably and/or efficiently.
Old 04-29-06, 01:05 PM
Romans1013

Bikes: GMC Denali Road Bicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You do have a excellent point, and I do want to get with my LBS and show support, and start a relationship with them. Right know I got a GMC denali from walmart to get started. In a few months I plan on something better. I was hoping to spend around 1500, and there are a lot of decent bikes in that price range.
Old 04-29-06, 06:09 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
What's with all the "newbie" posts in this thread? They sound like a bunch of shills. Or maybe one shill with multiple accounts.
Old 08-13-09, 06:34 PM
chestes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tommaso Bikes sold by rscycle.com (Nick's a Dick!)

This post has been removed.

Last edited by chestes; 11-06-09 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-13-09, 07:09 PM
dnslater

Bikes: 2011 Guru Praemio Ti (Rival), 03 Gary Fisher Franken-hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread was dug up from long ago, interesting that all of the "newbee's" from 2005 that posted never were heard from again. That is shilling, plain and simple, and not very well done. The shill from Bikeswholesale should have at least made a few comments on other threads to cover tracks....
Old 08-13-09, 07:34 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
I bought a Mondial on 07 for my son. It is a lovely, well made bike and a reasonably good value. Shipping was a bit slow though.
Old 09-17-09, 12:47 PM
mchyzer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bunch of years back, I got a Tommaso Capri. It was fine. Then I sold it and got a Tommaso Imola (replaced the capri). I start commuting 5000miles per year, and I had that for a year. Besides normal maintenance, the bottom bracket was creaking. I think the threads just needed some lube (thats what LBS said). Anyways, it didnt bother me. I fixed it up, sold it, and bought a Tommaso Monza. The 105 is better than sora. The bad part for me is the wheels. I have some rough roads (pot holes), and Im not super light. The tires that come with the bike are crap. So, after a few broken spokes and a some flats, I now have the Monza with continental kevlar tires, and a new rear rim (handbuilt wheel) (LBS charged $150 for that). Im not sure getting another brand of bike at a similar price would have given tremendously better wheels. So the monza at $700, plus $90 for tires, and $150 for a new rim, handbuilt on the hub it had, leaves me at $940. I would rather have that (with bulletproof tires and rear wheel) than whatever $940 gives me at LBS. A trek pilot 2.0 is $1150 + tax, and that gives to a Tiagra rear derailleur.

Bottom line is, if you dont ride a LOT, Tommasos might be fine. If you ride a lot, and know what you are getting into, I think they are a good value. You might have to replace some stuff, and do some work on it. I will keep buying them for commuting bikes.

I have been doing triathlons and racing on tommasos, and I am in the process of getting a tri racing bike. But will commute on Tommaso... I wont care so much if someone steals it.

Chris
Old 09-17-09, 01:33 PM
shin1ichi2002

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Orion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BAck in the 80's

I purchased one of the late 1980's Tommaso's that came in through Ten Speed Drive Imports.

Columbus SL tubing ( I was skinnier then), Campy Victory Corsa. Mine was a beautiful blue/white fade paintjob, wonderful lugs, all around a great bike. The fork crown was georgeous too. That ear Campy was barely soso, but the bike/frame was excellent.

I stupidly sold it cheap when i bought a Cannondale.

I wish i kept the bike and put it on a wall!
Old 09-21-09, 10:55 AM
chestes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This post has been removed.

Last edited by chestes; 11-06-09 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-21-09, 01:18 PM
milnerpt

Bikes: Scott scale 29er, Gary fisher Rig SS 29er, Fuji Cross pro, Novara Randonee, Scattante TI custom build, Fuji Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Furthermore... rscycle was involved with the whole Iron Horse fiasco. They were basically screwing over their suppliers overseas by moving inventory around. Then promising to uphold the original warrantees on frames, only to go back on that promise weeks later.

Some of the big threads were closed and deleted (thats what happens when rscycle sponsors the messageboard), but still interesting reads.

https://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

They are shady weasles.
Old 12-29-09, 10:01 AM
bikemaven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/Tommasobikes

Favorite Ride:
Tommaso Mondial

Bike Setup:
Frame: Semi-Compact Butted Aluminum with Integrated Headtube.
Fork: Carbon Fiber with Aluminum Steer tube, 1 1/8"
Rear Shock:
Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra
Shifters: Shimano Ultegra 10-Speed
Brakes Levers: Shimano Ultegra
Brakes: Tektro Alloy R350
Chain: KMC
Crankset: FSA Gossamer Compact 50/34T, (20 total gears)
Cassette: Shimano 105 11-25 10-Speed
Pedals:
Bottom Bracket: FSA Mega EXO
Headset: FSA IS-2 Integrated Headset
Saddle: Selle San Marco, Ponza Power
Seat Post: Tommaso TRS Aluminum 27.2
Handlebar: Tommaso TRS, 31.8mm, Black
Grips: Velo Cork Tape White
Stem: Tommaso TRS ± 7 Degree 31.8mm, Black
Tires: Continental Ultra Sport 700x23c,
Wheelset: JY/Alex R-450
Weight: 19.4 lbs
Color: Blue

Summary:

Very Happy with my Tommaso Bike. 100% recommend. Once the word gets out about Tommaso these guys are going to kill it. Truly great bikes for the price and better experience than going into my small local shop.

I couldn't be happier with the experience. . Buying online is the only way to go now!!! Anyone who says it is not is not thinking about the customer. Its impossible to match the price, quality, and overall experience that buying online offers. Just ask Amazon and Zaoppos and its millions of customers!!! Dont be fooled by your Local Bike Shops disgruntled rumors. BUYING ONLINE IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!

I bought this bike after looking around the shops and finding that I'd have to spend at least $1700-1800 to get a decent road bike. I found Tommaso through this website actually and took a chance after reading decent reviews.

I did the pro build option for $60 plus the bike cost of $999 for $1059 total. There was no cost for shipping or any taxes (I live in CA, shipped from CO). The bike came well packaged and it took me about 20 min to put it together. The instructions were crap but it wasn't hard to figure out how to put it together. The only thing that I think you need help with is the fit. You can try getting help at a bike shop or mess around with it a lot until you get your fit.

The bike rides great. I used it for a sprint triathlon for 20k ride and it did great. It climbed really well on hills and went very fast on the downhills. I passed many nicer road bikes and even a lot of tri bikes.

Tommaso has a great facebook and twitter presence. Contact them directly or chat with other fans. Its what convinced me they are a solid well run company with great and smart staff.

https://www.facebook.com/Tommasobikes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.