Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

You guys should make an intro sticky!

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-11, 10:12 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I just traded my lightest bike, a Klein Stage Comp, for a Sun EZ-1 SX. The guy that got my Klein has just undergone a bunch of chemo and stem cell bone marrow transfusions, and the Sun is just too heavy for him.

So I'm looking at this recumbent, and it looks, frankly, scary. It has a short wheelbase, but I still don't know if it's safe in my bike rack. I heard you have to pull with your hands or something. I read something about taking the front fender off? What are the options for a rack on it? Is it actually harder on backs because you have compression when you are on rough surfaces?

Why is everyone moving towards trikes? What's the difference between starter models and advanced models? Do they require any extra maintenance?

etc. etc. etc. You guys should make a noobie sticky!
Old 03-13-11, 10:26 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Sun is just too heavy for everyone.

Old 03-13-11, 11:21 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
I just traded my lightest bike, a Klein Stage Comp, for a Sun EZ-1 SX. The guy that got my Klein has just undergone a bunch of chemo and stem cell bone marrow transfusions, and the Sun is just too heavy for him.

So I'm looking at this recumbent, and it looks, frankly, scary. It has a short wheelbase, but I still don't know if it's safe in my bike rack.
It looks less scary out of the bike rack and under your butt. I got my short-wheelbase recumbent 20 years ago (a Lightning P-38) and I've had it near 60mph downhill. About the scariest thing was my cheeks going whuppa-whuppa-whuppa in the wind.

I heard you have to pull with your hands or something.
Exactly wrong. You need to completely relax your arms and shoulders and keep a very loose grip on the handlebars. Tensing your hands, arms or shoulders will lead to pedal steer. It's a common newbie mistake to over-control the bike. Learning to push on the pedals without influencing the steering is a Zen thing.

I read something about taking the front fender off? What are the options for a rack on it? Is it actually harder on backs because you have compression when you are on rough surfaces?
Front fenders are a necessity, especially for me, in the Pacific Northwest. Many conventional racks work or can be made to work, and there are special under-seat racks for touring.

My lower back is in pretty good shape after 20 years of riding recumbents. If you're on rough surfaces, fatter tires help any kind of bike.

Why is everyone moving towards trikes? What's the difference between starter models and advanced models? Do they require any extra maintenance?

*Sigh* 42 is the answer.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 03-14-11, 05:11 PM
cranky old dude

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
solveg, it's good to see you've come back.

Lots of good info here in BF, and you might also look at BROL
https://www.bentrideronline.com/messa...isplay.php?f=2

Like Jeff said, just sit back and relax. Always try to remember to start up in a low gear. Keep a loose grip on the handlebars and take some practice rides in a nice big empty parking lot and before you know it you'll be rolling right along. It may seem a bit twitchy at first but don't be discouraged, you'll get smoother with more miles under your belt.

The Sun EZ-1 is a nice solid little bike, not a speed demon but fun to ride none the less. Try to take advantage of opportunities to ride other recumbents as they all handle differently. I personally prefer the way long wheelbase 'bents handle, though short wheelbase bikes are easier to manuver in crowded areas. For example, Bjjoondo has just gone from a Sun EZ-1 to a Sun EZ Sport and I'm sure he can describe the different handling characteristics of those two bikes.

Above all, have fun!! You're about to see the world from the seat of a bicycle in a way that is just fantastic.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 03-14-11 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 06:15 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
There is no one recumbent. There are many recumbent bicycle designs.

DF riders love to discuss the differences in ride quality and handling of relatively mimimal differences in diamond frame bicycle design. Recumbents encompass huge design differences. The differing designs handle and ride quite differently. Experienced recumbent riders make everything look so easy that you really have to try out a few bikes to appreciate how different they can be.
Old 03-14-11, 06:32 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
https://www.sunbicycles.com/manuals/r...structions.pdf This from the Sun website.

Just think of this bike as your starter recumbent.

Everyone is not moving towards trikes. Not interested, thank you.
One advantage of trikes that I consider an immediate-gratification advantage: Trikes do not have the learning curve of a recumbent bike, although some 'bent bikes are easier to get the hang of than others.
I'm five years into bent-riding and have not looked back.
Old 03-14-11, 06:49 PM
countersTrike
Recumbent Trike

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
(OT- sorry) I would recognise that beer drinking squirrel anywhere! I don't recommend him as pilot.. Welcome Solveg!
Old 03-14-11, 08:30 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Welcome aboard, Solveg. Good advice from Jeff, except for the fenders. I mean, fenders = YES if you ride a lot in the rain. Otherwise, not needed. The EZ-1 SX is a solid bike with good handling. But it's a 'long wheelbase' format, no matter what it seems. But it's great for bumming with the wife, but not so much for keeping up with the buds.

I have four 'bents, and none of them are a trike. If I ever get a trike, it'll be one that gives up very little to a 2-wheeler in the speed department.
Old 03-15-11, 02:01 PM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Oh I wouldn't say that...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3.jpg (91.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-15-11, 02:20 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts

So I'm looking at this recumbent, and it looks, frankly, scary. It has a short wheelbase, but I still don't know if it's safe in my bike rack. I heard you have to pull with your hands or something. I read something about taking the front fender off? What are the options for a rack on it? Is it actually harder on backs because you have compression when you are on rough surfaces?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome, the wife and I just bought new EZ-1 SX's and we've had FUN riding them around, yep their bit on the "hefty side" at 40lbs but, their easy to mount and once you've learned to start out in a low gear, (we like middle chain ring/2nd. cog on cassette), you put a pedal at just "past" top dead center, (which ever one you prefer), PUSH forward with that pedal and let your other foot come up naturally to the opposite pedal and head out!

Use only a "VERY" light touch on the handle bars, if you grip too tight it makes the front end "flop to and fro"!!! When riding up hill I don't "grip the bars", I just place my hands on them, push your bunns back into the seat and torque with your legs, while "totally" relaxing all of your UPPER BODY. (Note: For US, that "totally relaxing the upper portion of the body is the HARDEST thing to learn!)

The EZ-1 is NOT a screamer but it's a really excellent "commuter, rec ride and even a good Trailer Tugger"! The ONLY reason I upgraded to a EZ-Sport AX was that on the EZ-1 I felt a bit cramped, like a "elephant on a tricycle", it's just ME, the wife has NO problem at all. It's probably because I'm 6ft. and 230lbs, been riding MTB's and Hybrids which have a long wheel base, and feel Large and Roomy, especially with the "Trekking Bars", we had on them.

My best comparison is this: The EZ-1 SX is like a good compact car, the EZ-Sport AX feels like a "Cadillac" Sedan DeVille, Luxo car. I kept my EZ-1 for a "back up" bike and it has the "coupler" mounted on it to be my "utility" bike but I'll be "doing the heavy miles" on the EZ-Sport AX (20/26 combo, Alum. frame/cro-mo fork, Sram X9 derailers (9speed), only 35lbs.), really it should be called the "EZ-Cruise AX", wow, as the song says: It's like a smooth stretch of highway"!

Last edited by bjjoondo; 03-16-11 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-07-11, 03:41 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
It may seem a bit twitchy at first but don't be discouraged, you'll get smoother with more miles under your belt.
And actually the twitchiness is not the bike, but the rider. Since you can't use your shoulders to anchor your arms, you have to learn to keep your arms quiet. The recumbent, especially a short wheel-based one, is very responsive to the slightest input from your arms.

But once mastered, the combination of the low center of gravity combined with high pedals will have you amazed at how deeply you can go into a turn with full power and high speed. Its like driving the best small sports car ever.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-07-11, 06:38 AM
EriktheFish
Silly Party Member

Bikes: Rans Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Click on these links for an "Intro" to Recumbents:
https://www.bicycleman.com/recumbents/recumbent_faqs.htm
https://www.bicycleman.com/history/history.htm
https://www.bicycleman.com/recumbents...t_glossary.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recumbent_bicycle
Old 04-08-11, 04:04 PM
trestlehed

Bikes: Santa Cruz Heckler, EZ Sport AX, Lightfoot Rambler, Electra Townie 24D "The Holy Grail of Beach Cruisers"

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
10 Wheels wrote:
Not necessarily. It all depends on what type of riding you will be doing. If you have a lot of steep hills then the Sun EZ-1 SX and the Sun Easy Sport are probably not your best bet. I've had an Easy Sport LE (now called the AX) since 2002. It is indeed a Cadillac on 2 wheels. When people ask me what it's like to ride, I ask them if they enjoy sitting in a beach chair. When they reply "yes", I say that the bike is like pedaling a beach chair. I ride my bent on paved bike paths ONLY. No need to worry about potholes and teenagers driving a giant SUV while texting.

If you want to sell your EZ-1 SX in order to upgrade to a different bent, I might be interested. I would like a back-up bent for friends to ride. Can you post some pics?

Last edited by trestlehed; 04-08-11 at 04:25 PM. Reason: .
Old 05-14-11, 11:54 AM
Ecumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my EZ-1 SC in '03 and passed it on to my brother, I'm running a LWB now.

The EZ runs as good as any BikeE, maybe better. A great little bike with an indestructible steel frame.

The EZ is the easiest recumbent to motorize, it can handle an incredible amount of weight.

Last edited by Ecumbent; 05-14-11 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-15-11, 12:11 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Trikes rock and they're fun as hell to ride. But they are not created equal. Some of them have abysmal handling -- they get highly unstable much over 25mph. Others handle with confidence at 40+mph.

Differences in models vary in weight, componentry, handling, and feel.