Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket Conversion

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-20, 12:27 PM
alfhasian

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking to replace my crankset with a power meter crankset, and stumbled across a deal from a friend but I'm not sure if it's compatible with my bottom bracket (or if my bottom bracket can be changed out).

The power meter crankset I'm looking at uses the Quarq DFour DUB spider and has a 24/22 stepped GXP spindle. My current bike has a BB-R60 bottom bracket. I can't find much information on the BB-R60 that I can use to verify if this crankset would work or not. If not, would I just have to replace my bottom bracket with a SRAM DUB bottom bracket, or could there be frame compatibility issues as well?

Thanks!
Old 04-14-20, 01:27 PM
trailflow1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
If the PM spindle is a 24/22 stepped, then you need a SRAM GXP threaded bb. or you could try a GXP adapter for the non drive side of the BB-R60 bb.

DUB bb's are for DUB 30/29mm spindles, they won't work with a GXP 24/22 crank.

Last edited by trailflow1; 04-14-20 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-14-20, 02:14 PM
alfhasian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailflow1
If the PM spindle is a 24/22 stepped, then you need a SRAM GXP threaded bb. or you could try a GXP adapter for the non drive side of the BB-R60 bb.

DUB bb's are for DUB 30/29mm spindles, they won't work with a GXP 24/22 crank.
Thanks for the response! I'm really new to the world of bottom brackets and all of the guides I've read online couldn't really answer my question.

Being that bottom brackets are so cheap, it would probably just be safest to replace my BB-R60 with the SRAM GXP threaded BB that you mention? Do I not have to worry about fitment to the frame or is that a universal diameter?
Old 04-14-20, 02:34 PM
trailflow1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by alfhasian
Thanks for the response! I'm really new to the world of bottom brackets and all of the guides I've read online couldn't really answer my question.

Being that bottom brackets are so cheap, it would probably just be safest to replace my BB-R60 with the SRAM GXP threaded BB that you mention? Do I not have to worry about fitment to the frame or is that a universal diameter?

That would be the safest option yes.

Theaded bb's are universal. Diameter is the same. If your frame is a Specialized, then is has a BSA English (also known as British) threaded shell. Choose a GXP English threaded bb

99% of Shimano BB-R60 bb's sold are BSA English threaded. Unless your riding an italian frame with a ITALIAN threaded shell. Then you would then need a different version - italian threaded specific BB.

The majority of frames around are BSA English threaded.

Last edited by trailflow1; 04-14-20 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-15-20, 03:38 PM
alfhasian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great! I think I'm starting to get my head wrapped around bottom bracket standards.

I guess the only other option I have here is whether or not I buy this GXP-based PM at a great price or fork out an additional ~$300 and get the same PM with a DUB setup. I've been reading some iffy reviews of the GXP performance and longevity, but I'm wondering if this is more related to press-fit GXP BB's? I don't think I can justify a $300 increase in the PM just to get a "better" BB standard? Thoughts?

Sorry if this derails the thread.