Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Adventure 5 Bottom Bracket Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-20, 10:23 AM
Dandjsdad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good Morning Everyone,

This is my first post to the forum and thank you for looking at it. I have come across a Cannondale Adventure 5 bare frame and have begun to build a bike using some parts that have been accumulating in the garage. The one part that I do not have is a correct sized bottom bracket. I am looking for some guidance on what to put in the bike. The width of the bb shell is 68mm and the internal measurement of the shell is 33mm. A check of the Cannondale Adventure 5 spec sheet states that it has a Tange Cartridge BB. I have looked for the Tange Cartridge and it appears that it may be old technology. My question is this, do I need to stay with the Tange Cartridge or is there another compatible bb that would be recommended. I am guessing the correct bb for this frame would be a 68mm English BB? I have not yet thought of cranks for the bike. Thanks again for your input and looking at the post.
Old 12-23-20, 10:29 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
The correct bottom bracket will depend on the crank you decide to buy. Buy the bottom bracket after you buy a crank, not the other way around
If you already have a crank you will need to buy a bottom bracket that is correct for the one you have

Last edited by alcjphil; 12-23-20 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-23-20, 11:29 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
The correct bottom bracket will depend on the crank you decide to buy. Buy the bottom bracket after you buy a crank, not the other way around
+1
Buying the BB first is like buying an engine and then looking for a car to fit it.
"Older" cranks tend to use longer BB's than "newer".
Old 12-23-20, 12:23 PM
trailflow1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Your frame has a BSA English Threaded shell. The technical size of the shell is 1.37'' x 24 tpi.

The bb unit or cups will need to also be English threaded for the 1.37'' x 24 tpi shell. Look at the specs of the bb for these numbers.

You need to choose the crank first. Before buying the bb. And which type of crank you choose, will determine the correct bb to choose for your 68mm shell.

The crank type and bb type have to match for compatibilty.

The BSA English threaded shell is compatible with number of different cranks types - Shimano Hollowtech, Sram GXP, Sram Powerspline, FSA MegaExo, Square Taper (JIS and ISO) and Shimano Octalink, and others. with their matching bb's.

The most popular option on the market is Shimano Hollowtech cranks, with matching Hollowtech threaded bb cups. For example. This is the easiest to install on a 68mm BSA shell.

or for a cheaper option. There is square taper cranks with their square taper bb's.

The Tange Cartridge BB is a square taper bb that was fitted to the bike's original builds, but the bike doesn't have to be re-fitted with that Tange Cartridge BB. You can fit an other square taper bb. As long as it's English threaded.

Last edited by trailflow1; 12-23-20 at 12:43 PM.
Likes For trailflow1:
Old 12-23-20, 12:36 PM
Dandjsdad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. Trailflow, your information was exactly what I was looking for. Its greatly appreciated.
Old 12-23-20, 04:30 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I have used a BSA English threaded 68 X 122.5 as a replacement. At present you might consider the Shimano BB-UN300 for an under $20 replacement.