Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Going back to 23/25 from 28/30...?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Going back to 23/25 from 28/30...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-24, 01:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
... I think this has been known and accepted for quite some time. Cannondale frames were famously stiff, with their large diameter tubing. And this was used as one of the selling points, along with the lighter weight of the frame. If efficiency is your goal, and you feel like a stiff frame will actually contribute significantly to the efficiency of your rides, I can't argue with that. I am inherently inefficient in so many ways in life that a list would take up too much space.
Efficiency is ONE of my goals, since I am an Old, and don't have energy to spare like I did when I were but a lad. But comfort is another of my goals, which is why despite its efficiency, the Cannondale tends to hang on its hook, unridden, while I ride other, less efficient bikes. But I must have other goals, because even though the Canyon is unquestionably the most comfortable and most efficient bike in the stable, I still ride the others.

"Love. Who can explain it?"

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-16-24, 02:20 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
In modern times, running modern tires, 140 is impossibly high, over the tire max sidewall pressure.
My modern Veloflexes are designed for and run wonderfully at 140. Love 'em.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-16-24, 05:58 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
My modern Veloflexes are designed for and run wonderfully at 140. Love 'em.
Which Veloflex and where do you buy them?
Old 03-16-24, 06:01 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Which Veloflex and where do you buy them?
They’re Veloflex Master 23s. I think someone here mentioned the model name may have changed (Corsa Race?). I got them online; not sure what the site’s name was.

Interestingly, the Veloflex website says I’m running my tires five pounds below the max!

Last edited by smd4; 03-16-24 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-16-24, 06:32 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I think car sidewalls became NARROWER, mostly. The outer diameter of the tires isn't all that different but the diameter of the wheels is a lot larger. That simple reduction in width greatly reduces the flex.
with cars, trendy aesthetics helps market the newer stylish vehicles. The old pimped out cars do the same when someone wants to be flashy with status. the cost to that are suspension & steering parts wearing out faster & ride quality going down.

With non competitive road cyclists, I'm pretty sure we mostly tend to aim for comfort, durability, & speed. So finding that sweet combo that does the job without going bankrupt is how I'd expect marketing to align.
Old 03-17-24, 11:33 AM
NVFlinch 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 40 Posts
Daaaamn - do I dare enter this thread without a bodyguard?

I fit tubeless 32's on the front of my CSI, and 30's on the back, because that's the biggest that fit. Tire pressure is the thumb test, and if more than ~t.h.i.s.~ much deflection, then more air. How much more, you ask? ~T.H.I.S.~ much more.

I fit tubed 28's on the front, and 28's on the back of my Centurion/CInelli, because that's what I have on hand. Tire pressure is thumb test, etc, etc...

Not gonna tell ya what I use on my Mongoose Cipressa Ti, nor my Serotta Concours - They're titanium so that's classified!

Daaaamn - it's only air and rubber people!
Old 03-17-24, 09:23 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
I've never fully gone the whole wider is better though I've moved somewhat wider. I can remember starting with 19c tires and I do have some left over 23s that are now just dedicated for track use as older tires wear out. But I've found that 25c seems to be my sweet spot. I tried some 27c tires and just found that they felt sluggish/heavy. Currently many of the wheels on mine and the kid's bikes are 19mm internal so the Michelin Pro 25c on my oldest's track bike measures 28.4mm, within .2mm of the external width of the carbon rims she's running. Her road bike has conti 5000s in 25c and it measures a little over 26mm, while my bike this week has 25c challenge elites that measure 27mm on velocity ailerons. I've also used the silca site to get an idea of tire pressure based on rims and they're recommendation was 82/80 for her and 85/83 for me so that's what I run in them. I have to say that for me the ride can still be noticeably harsh over rough pavement, did a circuit race this weekend that had a lot of poorly filled potholes and the ride could be jarring even at this pressure, which is surprising since I run a steel frame. Guess I'm not as tough as I was at 130psi in a 20c tire on Albany streets. Maybe the sluggishness is in my head, I do have to admit the 25c with 85/83psi feels every bit as fast as those older tires but I'm just not fully sold on going still wider. Don't know why anyone would want to still run narrower than 23c.