Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is my ritchey seatpost fake?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-22, 04:18 PM
KptRex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So aware of all the fakes running around decided to check mine and after sticking flashlight inside I saw that ending (right before the rail mount and after the curve) has this transparent thing that reflects light a little. Is that how it's supposed to end?
imgur.com/a/cn0gLQc
Model is Ritchey Superlogic 1-bolt 31,6mm,300mm (might be an older series). Any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 05-01-22, 07:16 AM
trailflow1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
The genuine Ritchey Superlogic have a hollowgraphic reflective sticker with the Ritchey logo on the inside near the entrance of the base. The reflective thing in your picture is left from the manufacturing process. It doesn't say much about it's authenticity.

Post more pictures of the external seatpost. The counterfeit seatposts are easy to spot from the rail clamp design.

Last edited by trailflow1; 05-01-22 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-01-22, 07:57 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Why not ask Ritchey? They would know.
Old 05-01-22, 10:54 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked 4,010 Times in 2,677 Posts
I would post a photo of it if you want help here (I am not going to a URL that isn't a hyperlink). If you wish to do that get involved with the forums and make some posts and when you get 10 or more you can post pictures. Otherwise google is your friend or just reach out to Ritchey.

If you buy your parts from authorized dealers you don't have to worry about fakes. If you buy random stuff on ebay or alibaba and his forty thieves you could run into a lot of fakes. Generally if the price is too good to be true it probably is.
Old 05-01-22, 11:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6202 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Here you go,.... and for those that think a written out URL without a hyperlink is some how a security risk <grin>

IMO, it's actually safer as the hyperlink can be to anywhere and the displayed text of the hyperlink appear safe.

https://imgur.com/a/cn0gLQc

And too the noob.... Welcome to BF! and kudos for being able to figure out how to simply write or paste the text of the URL to your pic.

So many other noobs are stymied trying to make hyperlinks or post pics because they try to use the linking tools or image tools and run up against the SPAM filters.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-01-22 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-01-22, 11:04 AM
KptRex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailflow1
The genuine Ritchey Superlogic have a hollowgraphic reflective sticker with the Ritchey logo on the inside near the entrance of the base. The reflective thing in your picture is left from the manufacturing process. It doesn't say much about it's authenticity.

Post more pictures of the external seatpost. The counterfeit seatposts are easy to spot from the rail clamp design.
Yeah. Although in hours I spend resarching this specific model found that you got 3 "batches" of these: 1. Holographic sticker at the end, 2 .Holographic sticker + serial number sticker to it's right, 3. Just serial number.

If the thing at the end is from manufacturing proces then it's likley authentic. Rest fully checks out, Weight is spot on with ritchey specs, And also bought it from a guy that build superlight bikes for last 10 years and when I came to pick it up he got whole garage of super expensive parts there too, It's been havily used for last few years and he modified part of rail clamp for his use (still works for me so no problem here) so sorry if they will be harder recognize

Here are the pictures: imgur.com/a/tsH4RCG (At the end I added few authentic new/lightly used modeles from big shops for eisier recognition)
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Why not ask Ritchey? They would know.
Already send serial number to them on this adress: ri_info_line@ritcheylogic.com . Currently waiting for reponse
Old 05-01-22, 04:27 PM
KptRex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, replied to trailflow1 with complete set of pictures of the outside and serial number with ritchey contact few hours ago but it prompted me something about moderator approval so just waiting for it to get posted
Old 05-02-22, 08:12 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6976 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
I think OP has too much time on his hands.
Old 05-02-22, 08:34 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
How did you acquire the seatpost? If you purchased on Amazon or Ebay, and the price was less than online bike stores, I'd say there is a good chance it's fake regardless of whatever stickers or labels it may have. Doesn't mean it won't function perfectly fine as a seatpost though.
Old 05-02-22, 08:38 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,777 Posts
Are people really faking seatposts??
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-02-22, 08:57 AM
schwim

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Are people really faking seatposts??
They provide fake brands of pretty much every carbon part. I'm a frequent parts bike flyer on eBay and I will classify the fake parts into two groups. The first group is parts that are likely made in the same factory by the same workers with the same materials that then somehow get siphoned off into other sales channels and the second group is a part where they're not even trying. I've gotten both.

I've gotten some parts that I compared to my brother's legitimate parts and they seem identical, both in branding and in build quality. Then there's other parts where the carbon is a ton thicker and poorly formed and the stickers look like they were designed and placed by a one-armed blind person. I've ridden both for years without issue but would never promote the practice to others.