Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Help with a choice, please?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-23, 10:26 AM
Gloor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello all,

I haven't been here for over 10 years as last time you guys adviced me and it worked great. This time, I'm facing new dilemma so would need a little help/feedback to pick the right thing, please.

I try to keep it brief for now.
Last time I got Marin Bolinas Ridge bike and was super happy with it. It was the best bike I've had as before I had some ****** 'kids' bikes when I was growing up as we had no money. That Marin was fantastic (and still is as my sister now uses it).
Now, I would like to get a bike for myself. Originally, I wanted to get mountain bike as that is what I'm used to but after talking to some friends they mentioned that I would be better off with gravel/hybrid bike instead.
My usage is mostly city during the week and then some out of city trails with gravel paths usually. For that I agree that mountain would be too much work as I don't do jumps, crazy downhill etc. (also as a group we are more into fun than competitive speed etc.)
So I started looking into gravel/hybrid bikes and kinda narrowed it down a little bit and I need help here as I have no clue about components etc. please.

My favourite candidate is Pathlite 7 (https://www.canyon.com/en-ca/hybrid-...rahmenfarbe=BK)
Second option would be Pathlite 6 (https://www.canyon.com/en-ca/hybrid-...nfarbe=GY%2FBK)
and third maybe Roadlite 8? (https://www.canyon.com/en-ca/hybrid-...rahmenfarbe=GY)

The only thing about Roadlite 8 is that maybe its too focus on the road and the gravel might not be a good choice and seeing that MTL roads are so messed up with holes perhaps Roadlite is not a good candidate but I just wanted to throw it here for opinions, please.

Do you mind sharing feedback, please? How much better is the Pathlite 7 compared to 6? The components seem to be very similar and the nuances I don't know about probably make the difference.

Any feedback/advice is appreciated.
Old 05-19-23, 03:59 AM
poiuyt

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
The difference between the 2 Pathlite are small but noticeable (by order of "importance").
- Carbon seat post vs Alu seat post: carbon seat posts have some compliance, while alu ones have none. It is noticeable on rough gravel or cobble stones, personally, it's an upgrade that I do systematically: with an alu seat post, I have back pain after 1h-1h30, while I have no issues with carbon ones (but I live in a region with loads of cobblestones).
- XT vs Deore shifter: the XT shifter can change in one stroke 4 speeds down, 2 up, while the Deore does 3 down/1 up. XT is also more reactive.
- XT vs MT200 brakes: slightly more powerful.
- There's a 700g weight difference.
- Thru-axles vs Quick Release (for the wheels): Thru axle is considered to be a better standard (more frame rigidity, easier positioning of the wheels). Quick release is not bad per se, my main criticism is that it becomes harder and harder to find good wheels with this standard, as it's a standard that is only used in entry level bikes.

The Pathlite 6 is for me a good bike, but if budget allows it, I'd take the 7. Mostly because of the axles, that cannot be changed afterwards, but I appreciate the other refinements as well.

Otherwise, it's for me a very good category, that is understated. They are very good on gravel, and better on trails that MTBers will admit.

On the Roadlite vs Pathlite choice, up to your preferences. The Roadlite seems very nice if you plan to stay on tarmac and smooth gravel. But if you plan to leave tarmac, you'll regret not having wider tires and the front suspension (Air suspensions are quite nice, if maintained properly). So the choice the question is whether you value more versatility or efficiency on tarmac.
Old 05-19-23, 06:47 AM
Gloor

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thank you so much, that is super helpful.
On the seat post, would you suggest that I upgrade that to a better one? I'm all about less bumping on my butt and these days the tech is impressive everywhere so is there a big difference? Would this for example be a big difference in comfort or its just a slight variation? https://www.canyon.com/en-ca/gear/bi...st/148286.html

I think Pathlite 7 is the way to go unless I find another info. Btw, how do you maintain air suspensions? In the past I would just clean them once in a while on the exterior and thats about it. Didn't know there is more to it
Old 05-19-23, 08:08 AM
poiuyt

The VCLS 2.0 is an excellent seat post. That being said, since I posted this message, some feedback. I replaced it by a "simple" carbon seatpost, because it was too short, and moved it to another bike. The difference between the two is significant, but not as much as as alu vs "simple carbon" (I couldn't compare the two at the same time on the same bike, but the "back pain" indicator reveals that the "simple carbon" one is OK). The one that is compatible with the Pathlite is this one though (20mm offset on the stock one):
https://www.canyon.com/en-ca/gear/bi...st/148287.html

If you take a 6, I'd go directly to the VCLS 2.0. But for a 7, I'd rather test other parameters before upgrading (tire pressure, saddle,...).

For the fork maintenance: cleaning and periodic joints/oil replacements — that should be another question though (probably already answered). But anyway my remark was not in the sense it's a "continuous work", but "better to know it in advance before to avoid having bad surprises".

Last edited by poiuyt; 05-19-23 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-19-23, 08:28 AM
Gloor

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thank you so much. Yeah, I'll most likely go for 7 unless something changes (like 8 announced :-) )
I'll leave the seat post for now and then will see what bothers me the most. I hope the actual saddle is comfortable as that will probably be a big factor.

Now lets hope Canyon will run a promotion just like they did 3 months ago so I can buy the bike already
Old 05-19-23, 08:31 AM
poiuyt

The stock saddle is the negative point that is the most often cited, according to the reviews left on Canyon's website.
Old 05-19-23, 08:46 AM
Gloor

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Is there a website that compares individual pieces that one with no knowledge can learn the differences (not just seat but everything - kinda like you knew about the shimano stuff)
Also, any recommended seat to consider?
Old 05-19-23, 04:07 PM
poiuyt

For the Shimano stuff, there are videos online such as:
Then also, the Shimano site: for each product, there's a "technologies" section, that gives some details.

Otherwise, I'm not aware of such website. GMBN/GCN Tech sections are generally interesting.
Old 05-19-23, 05:16 PM
Gloor

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thank you. That Deore, SL., XT and XTR explanation made sense. So basically one wants to aim for mostly XT to get the best bang for the buck.

I can see that Pathlite 7 doesn't have crank, chain and cassette from XT but the rest is so I assume its fine. I wonder if the chain really makes that much difference : )
Old 05-19-23, 10:44 PM
poiuyt

What is not XT on the Pathlite 7 are: bottom bracket, cassette, chain, pedals. The crankset is XT.
Bottom bracket: no big deal, replace by a XT when it's worn (to my experience, the XT is more durable in rough conditions, the bike given in picture came with "Deore" (BB-MT500), and has been replaced by a XT (BB-MT800), in terms of distance, the XT has already been used more than the Deore).
Chains: I remember there was a comparative for road that said that Ultregra (=road XT) were the more durable Shimano, but when off-roading, you need to clean the chain more often if you want it to last, so some prefer to take the "Deore" and replace them more often.
Cassette: the main difference is weight.
Pedals: that's a personal choice, depending on whether you want flat or clipless (or hybrid). On sport bikes, I prefer clips, so I replace directly. On utility bikes, I prefer flat, so but replace when it's worn.

On the bang for the buck, I would rather say that Deore is the best in general terms, and XT is if you want the additional features (that are mostly refinements), SLX should be "better built" than Deore, but without the XT features. If you want to optimise, you can mix and match. For example, take an XT shifter and a Deore derailleur (which is the opposite of what manufacturers do, they prefer to focus on the "visible" components). That being said, there are also personal tastes: XT shifters are more "firm" than Deore/SLX ones (but are more "reactive"), so some prefer to have a Deore/SLX shifter because they are more smooth.
Likes For poiuyt: