Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Converting vintage french bike into commuter/trekking

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-23, 02:53 PM
arupaka

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi everyone,

Have a Peugeot 203 performance with pretty much no use. It's too small for me (57/58cm seat tube) so the gf has been riding it here and there, but she has a few complaints about it.
Would be easy to get a new bike but it's not as fun and this one has sentimental value.

Still can't post links here but you can look up the model on google.

Original setup:

Triple crankset (30-)40-50 BCD 86mm 5bolts: small chainring got pretty banged up a few years back and was discarded.
Cassette: Can't remember but something like 7s 11-28
Downtube shifters 3x7
Quill stem: 140mm length, 120mm (!) extension
Shimano 200CX derrailleur. Not sure if the super long cage version which takes up to 32T in big cog.

I would like to convert it into some sort of urban bike, a bit more comfortable and also adjust it better for her dimensions.

The ideas so far:

Replace drop bars for 600mm flat bar.
Stem quill 230mm length 40mm extension.
Rear downtube shifter for thumb shifter to place on flatbar, will get a cable stopper for that (The front is rarely used because she rides 95% of time in 40T so no point to bother).
Swap derrailleur for 7/8s SGS up to 40T
New cassette: 8s 11-40
Normal brake levers.. thinking deore
Will probably throw in a new rear wheel too, shimano RS100 or similar

I was thinking of getting a new small 30T chainring, but the BCD is so exotic that I could only find one vendor and it goes for about 35€, more than the cassette/derrailleur combo.

That's about it... maybe. Feels like a good start in the journey of turning it into a solid commuter/trekking-ish bike.

This would be the most ambitious bike project ever for me, and I've basically been learning about mechanics as the problems appear.
Hoping my plan is doable, does it make sense?
Would love to hear some opinions!