Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

AXS battery on charger 24/7 ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-24, 08:43 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts

I purchased a spare for my mt bike AXS system, want to know if it’s OK to leave the spare on the charger 24/7 ?. Or charge it up and just leave on my bench ? and will it lose charge just sitting around ?
Old 02-09-24, 09:14 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Edit: All cells lose energy just sitting around. How much depends on their chemistry.
Example, Ni-Mh retains ~70-80% after 1 year
What chemistry is the battery in question?

Barry

Last edited by Barry2; 02-09-24 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Added background for question.
Old 02-09-24, 09:17 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
I would contact SRAM or look for an online manual, probably available on their website, for info from the folks that make the product.
Old 02-09-24, 11:44 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I would contact SRAM or look for an online manual, probably available on their website, for info from the folks that make the product.
Manual doesn't deal with how long you can leave a battery on the charger, only says put the plastic cover back on to protect the copper contacts when off the charger or bike
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 02-09-24, 12:12 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I purchased a spare for my mt bike AXS system, want to know if it’s OK to leave the spare on the charger 24/7 ?. Or charge it up and just leave on my bench ? and will it lose charge just sitting around ?
It will self discharge from just sitting around, but slowly. It's bad to keep lithium on charge full time unless it's a particularly smart charger that does a maintenance cycle. Batteries last longest when kept something like 40-60% charged.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 02-09-24, 05:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Basically what grumpus said leave it around 60% or so if you are not using it for a while. Give the cells some food but not so much they overeat and start throwing up and you lose over all capacity. I am figuring out my set up for two AXS batteries. Luckily my set up is 1X and really the spare battery wouldn't need a full charge most of the time because it is a back up/spare for longer tours and such to get me further till I can charge.

Leaving a battery charging overnight or a day or two is not so bad but always keeping it on the charger is generally not a great idea. I have high doubts SRAM built in anything to manage the battery well enough to handle that but I would ask them. They are generally pretty good with answering questions.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-09-24, 06:04 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Basically what grumpus said leave it around 60% or so if you are not using it for a while. Give the cells some food but not so much they overeat and start throwing up and you lose over all capacity. I am figuring out my set up for two AXS batteries. Luckily my set up is 1X and really the spare battery wouldn't need a full charge most of the time because it is a back up/spare for longer tours and such to get me further till I can charge.

Leaving a battery charging overnight or a day or two is not so bad but always keeping it on the charger is generally not a great idea. I have high doubts SRAM built in anything to manage the battery well enough to handle that but I would ask them. They are generally pretty good with answering questions.
General answer here and at mtbreview was not leaving on the charger. One very good suggestion was carry it in my C-Back with a 2032 for the shifter, just in case. This is what I will do.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 02-09-24, 06:10 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Like any other lithium battery ...

All About AXS Batteries | SRAM

... leaving them on the charger 24/7 is no good.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-09-24, 06:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
General answer here and at mtbreview was not leaving on the charger. One very good suggestion was carry it in my C-Back with a 2032 for the shifter, just in case. This is what I will do.
Yeah I am looking to eventually get some professional grade 2032s to carry in the frame bag sometimes the coating on them to prevent kids, whose parents allow their kids to eat them, from eating them can cause issues in stuff and want some long life stuff. I got some freebie normal Energizers but they have that bitter coating which can be wiped off with alcohol so I have something to carry just in case.
Old 02-09-24, 08:00 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
What'll kill AXS batteries the fastest is leaving them in the der while driving somewhere, the movement of the car keeps the batteries in readiness mode. The ones I keep in the kid's seatbags don't seem to have a problem staying charged. I usually swap them every couple months so they don't die on a random ride, the app works poorly for me so I don't bother checking how full the batteries are, just assume they're close enough.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 02-09-24, 08:33 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
What'll kill AXS batteries the fastest is leaving them in the der while driving somewhere, the movement of the car keeps the batteries in readiness mode. The ones I keep in the kid's seatbags don't seem to have a problem staying charged. I usually swap them every couple months so they don't die on a random ride, the app works poorly for me so I don't bother checking how full the batteries are, just assume they're close enough.
My Karoo 2 shows battery level accurately, so I will power that up and check periodically. I don’t worry about driving as it’s rarely more then a 20-25 minute trip.
Old 02-11-24, 08:52 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yeah I am looking to eventually get some professional grade 2032s to carry in the frame bag sometimes the coating on them to prevent kids, whose parents allow their kids to eat them, from eating them can cause issues in stuff and want some long life stuff. I got some freebie normal Energizers but they have that bitter coating which can be wiped off with alcohol so I have something to carry just in case.
Some days I think we should just take a step back and let evolution take its course.
Likes For choddo:
Old 02-11-24, 09:33 AM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts
I got a couple of these countdown timers for my various battery chargers. This is a better solution than letting them “cook” 24/7.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1