Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Indoor trainers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 04:53 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Indoor trainers...

do any of you use them?

I prefer riding outdoors (and in southern California, that's an option 98% of the time) but with kids who can't be left alone, impending rain, darkness that hits early and stupid California drivers, it would be nice to hit the trail AND watch football at the same time, from time to time.

My wife has been going to spin classes at lunch and love them... so she thinks we want a spin bike for the den now. Costco has one that's basically the same as the one she uses at spin class but a little less stable (same brand, smaller base). I'm not sure riding a exercise bike without somebody yelling at you would be effective, would it? I guess it's better than nothing.

My thought was to get an actual bike trainer like one of those Kurt Kinetics trainers - much smaller and you use your own bike.

Anyway, do any of you have experience or advice to offer in the area of rollers / trainers / spin bikes?
Old 01-09-12, 06:11 PM
green427

Bikes: GT Fitness series, IBEX Vantage 5500, Raleigh M-80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Anyway, do any of you have experience or advice to offer in the area of rollers / trainers / spin bikes?
Yes. If you have had treadmills or any other exercise machines in the past, take a look at them. If you used them for exercising for two weeks, then used them as laundry drying racks for a few years afterwards, you will probably do the same with the exercise bike.

Also, having very young kids around also means more distractions from your routine.

I got a trainer for my road bike, thinking that I would use it, but gave up after a couple weeks. Even with a TV in front of me, I lost motivation. I lost motivation going to the YMCA trainers, too.

It takes real willpower to keep up the training on these indoor trainers.
Old 01-09-12, 06:38 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
One of the years I was serious about making gains on the bike, I bought a trainer becaue believe it or not we had rain that year.

I set up my own routine with intervals, big ring TT, 100rpm, and sprints in mind. It helps a bunch imo, but you've got to have your mind set on going all out.

I use a stop watch, one minute intervals, 3 minutes rest between (average spinning pace).

If you go when the clock say go, it gets tough in the later portion of the workout. Then the 3 minutes between feel like 30 seconds.

I can get a toally dripping sweat workout in 45 minutes. Watching tv or reading a magazine while on the trainer would be a waste of time imo. When I actually train for a ride, I'll use the trainer and intervals even when it's not raining.

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 01-09-12 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-09-12, 08:11 PM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used rollers years ago, but for the last 18 or so years have preferred a trainer. The original wind trainer was incredibly noisy, so I bought a Minoura Mag Turbo about 10 years ago and it's still going strong.
In the winter here it's hard to get a quality workout any other way when the temperature is way below freezing and there's ice everywhere. Mine gets used about 3 times a week, including a spin class where we bring our own bikes and trainers.
Old 01-09-12, 08:36 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

The kids aren't THAT young... newly 9 and 11. They're self sufficient, just not old enough to leave on their own for an hour + bike ride. I frequently force them to go with me, but then it's a really leisurely pace and a short ride and not exactly what I want and I have to put up with whining on the hills... or maybe that's my saddle. ha ha.

We do have a treadmill and my wife does use it, so I think a trainer would get used (and I want to get something that I'll be inclined to use from time to time too) which is why I was thinking trainer...

I do know from prior experience that buying anything less than excellent will result in my not going near it, so I'm not looking for a cheap solution.

I like the interval idea Beanz - good call.
Old 01-09-12, 09:04 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The trainer is definitely hard to use - just hard to make myself do it. But it has gotten more use since November than did my stair-stepper or NordicTrac.

Training videos have made it tolerable for me - I use Sufferfest, since they are cheap and are a fun disguise for interval/tempo, etc work. But I really prefer to get outside and ride.

Just be sure you purchase quality - you want your bike held well, and a bit less noise is nice. I like the Kurt trainer, since the impeller is magnetically coupled to the shaft, meaning no seals to leak the silicone fluid. Very nice trainer, can be had for under $300.

I have an appointment with mine tomorrow night about this time....
Old 01-09-12, 09:18 PM
aaronreyna

Bikes: 2014 Felt F5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been wanting a trainer for awhile now. I have a son that is about to be a year old and a wife that some times gives me a hard time when I go ride. I actually got a magnetic trainer for Christmas (Blackburn). IMO its nice and I ride while my son is napping or ride before I go to bed. I don't ride nearly as far as I would if I went on my own, but I ride at a harder spinning pace.

I still ride my charity rides once or twice a month. But a trainer (if you use it and continue to use it) is a good investment.
Old 01-09-12, 09:32 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
FTR, the trainer doubles as a workstand just fine. I do all my bike work on it.

Old 01-09-12, 09:51 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
FTR, the trainer doubles as a workstand just fine. I do all my bike work on it.

Yer jest a-showin' off yer steed, thar. Nobody's a lookin' at that trainer...
Old 01-09-12, 09:55 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by david58
Yer jest a-showin' off yer steed, thar. Nobody's a lookin' at that trainer...

Old 01-09-12, 10:05 PM
magohn

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just performed a 30 min session on mine. I sweat WAY more than I ever sweat on a bike ride - probably because there is no "freewheeling" time.

As Beanz states, if your doing it right the sweat will pour. All I use is my Garmin to race against my "best " time etc.

I have the CycleOps Fluid 2 - Highly recommend it. Very quick mount/dismount and rock solid taking my weight - Im in the 280lbs.

I prefer the open-road but tonight I got home from work and its in the low 40's, windy and rainy. I jumped on the trainer - so much better than a dangerous ride or no ride at all
Old 01-09-12, 10:58 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Rollers. If you're gonna train inside, do it right and get some rollers so you don't get sloppy with your technique during your indoor rides. Stationary trainers and spin bikes are tolerant to all sorts of things since the rear wheel is clamped in place and the bike is stabilized. Rollers make you pay attention to every detail.
Old 01-10-12, 01:15 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Clifton - if I were to say, um, stop paying attention for a few seconds, would I go flying off the rollers? I'm willing to take the abuse with a little cussing but I"m not sure my wife would enjoy it.

That's a mighty fine bike repair stand there... how long till Gina gets one too?
Old 01-10-12, 09:25 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Clifton - if I were to say, um, stop paying attention for a few seconds, would I go flying off the rollers? I'm willing to take the abuse with a little cussing but I"m not sure my wife would enjoy it.

That's a mighty fine bike repair stand there... how long till Gina gets one too?
Rollers aren't that difficult to figure out your balance and get fairly smooth on them. I started out the usual way and put them in a doorway so I could fend off with my elbows if I started to drift to either side. It was only about a week and a half before I had moved them out from the doorway and was confident in riding them with just a footstool there to catch my balance when I stopped.
The biggest "trick" to riding rollers is to not watch your wheel. I know the initial reaction is to look at the front wheel so you are sure you're not drifting to either side, but the best thing I've found is to set up in front of the full length mirrors in our gym so that if I'm focused on the faceplate of my stem it's about 8 - 10' (about 4' back from the mirror). When I first started out of the doorframe, I just set up in front of my computer so I could watch movies while riding and use that as my focus point.
Old 01-10-12, 09:53 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
No trainers, studded tires and wool for me.
Old 01-10-12, 09:59 AM
jlp1976

Bikes: 2011 CAAD 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far my experience with a trainer has been excellent. My wife and I both bought bicycles this year and she was having difficulties balancing outdoors. Come to find out it is because she has MS. Well we bought a couple of cheap trainers and with the crappy weather we have been riding indoors. We have both been successful in losing quite a bit of weight by riding indoors and being on a strict diet. It has really helped her since she doesn't have to balance as much. Definetely worth the money.
Old 01-10-12, 10:12 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
mag: Use a fan. it really helps. You dont sweat as much when you are riding outside because of the wind. it keeps you cooler.
Old 01-10-12, 10:15 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
You can bring your trainer outdoors. I had one for a while, and this is what I did with it. When the sky opened up and started to pour, I would do an hour on the trainer, then go inside for a hot shower and change of clothes. If you're wondering, the difference is that you won't be 20 miles from your house when you decide you're done ... and you won't have to stop and change a flat somewhere while you get pelted with driving rain.

But I gave mine away. It's mind-numbingly boring, and I prefer dealing with the elements in exchange for the inertia of a bike ride.
Old 01-10-12, 10:49 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
It's mind-numbingly boring...
That's been my issue with trainers, too. I've had a Specialized wind trainer for probably 30 years now, and haven't used it at all for about the past 20. And the memories of how dull it was kept me from using my company's Christmas gift card to my favorite LBS as a $200 discount on a shiny new Kurt Kinetic. Instead I took advantage of the shop's current winter clothing sale and got a new long sleeved jersey, a new jacket and a new pair of winter gloves. That should help with the cold weather training better than a trainer would, for me anyway.
Old 01-10-12, 11:02 AM
Mr Sinister
Am I evil? I am Man!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a cheap mag trainer. I wanted a nice one, but bought this one so I could find out if I like them before dishing out $300+. So far I don't really like it. I mean I would rather be outside riding, but living in New England this time of year doesn't help me with that, too much. Riding the trainer 30 minutes feels like 2 hours, that is how bored I am on the trainer. I have it set up so I can watch tv, or listen to music. I will give it atleast a month before I cast my final judgement on the thing. But so far, not so good.

Any ideas on how to get over the bordom?
I can't wait for spring/summer...
Old 01-10-12, 11:07 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Sinister
Either TV shows/movies that are hyper-attention-grabbing, or music you like that has a BPM somewhere near the cadence you want to maintain.
Old 01-10-12, 11:14 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
But I gave mine away. It's mind-numbingly boring, and I prefer dealing with the elements in exchange for the inertia of a bike ride.
+1 I've owned two trainers and between them they've probably only seen 5 hours of use. Riding a trainer has little in common with riding a bicycle, so just because you like bicycling doesn't mean you'll enjoy the intense boredom of a trainer.

Before buying one, I'd suggest doing an experiment. Simulate the boredom you'll encounter a trainer by: getting dressed in work-out clothes then walking or jogging in place for the same amount of time you expect to use the trainer. Make sure you're looking at whatever you expect to see on the trainer (blank wall, TV, exercise video). Try to do that 3-5 times week (or however much you expect to use the trainer). If you can keep the routine up for at couple of weeks then consider investing in a trainer.
Old 01-10-12, 11:34 AM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are great for double duty as a work stand. Unlike Beanz I do the heavy cardio stuff at the Y. The trainer I use for base miles and to maintain saddle toughness. CraigB's correct in that action movies are easier to endure the boredum than anything else.
Old 01-10-12, 11:38 AM
CliftonGK1

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Sinister
I embrace it. The ability to ride long hours without any conversation or changing scenery closely simulates what it's like to ride long distance through the overnight hours, especially when it's rainy and overcast or foggy out and you can't see anything outside of your headlight beam. I find that it's good mental training for when I'm outside doing those sorts of rides.
Old 01-10-12, 11:43 AM
Push
Zeusmeatball

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Nomade Sprint, 1988 Specialized Rockhopper comp, 1991 Schwinn Crisscross, 2009 K2 Zed 3.2, 2011 Trek X-Caliber Gary Fisher collection

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have only had my trainer since Christmas but so far I think its awesome, its a Cycleops fluid 2 and I use a mountain bike with a slick mounted on it , its pretty quiet and I honestly feel it after riding not like on a stationary bike. Its easy to put the bike on and off of and I usually watch television when I ride it or time it when my wife is doing a workout video and we chat while I ride and she jumps around the room

I would recommend a trainer for sure, especially if the other option is no ride at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.