Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My Kingdom for a freewheel! (that fits) any suggestions?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My Kingdom for a freewheel! (that fits) any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-19, 03:38 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by gilatm
speaking of old parts, I've been planning on using my old trust Suntour VGT - I cleaned it and it works but has seen better days. Any suggestions on a replacement?
A VGT in better condition? A Cyclone would be the bees knees. There’s not much better in the vintage variety.

Welcome! Kudos to you for trying higher gears - most people want lower gears as they age (no exception here and I’m only 44). But I also appreciate closer gear ratios, so maybe a triplizer would do it for you. Pair that with a long cage replacement for your NR and you could go campy? (Google NR long cage, they’re floating around out there - did it on a Gitane TdF with a granny gear.)
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 10-19-19, 04:10 AM
gilatm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Is there a suntour derailleur that would fit more exactly my range - to be a bit "tighter"? 42/52 x 14-28 freewheel cluster?

Gil
Old 10-19-19, 04:22 AM
gilatm

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
The bike is a 1972 Paramount. I traded for it 1n 1974 giving up my Nishiki touring bike that I had just ridden to Lake Tahoe and back from Pasadena, CA. I had to add an additional $100 (about $400 in today's dollars) for the deal. I've ridden it up the California coast to Canada, back in the day, as well as several tours and commutes over the years. It was originally brown, I had Cycle art paint it back around 1986. I have a touring bike also, but I don't care for the feel of that bike as much.
Gil

Last edited by gilatm; 10-19-19 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-19-19, 04:24 AM
gilatm

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

picture
Old 10-19-19, 04:36 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
Nicely done beautiful blue Paramount! Looks as if it is a P-13 since it is missing the rear brake cable stops on the top tube. Are the wheels clinchers? 700c or 27"?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 10-19-19, 05:37 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
That is a beauty! Love that color blue.
Old 10-19-19, 07:37 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
That’s a beauty. It looks like your rear axle is barely in the dropout - I would give it a little more margin than that.
Edit - never mind, now I see the fw is off and it’s just propped in for a picture.
Old 10-19-19, 08:18 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I had the same issue with the sunrace 14-28 5 speed being too wide because the lock ring is on the outside of the smallest cog.

The sunrace 14-24 happens to not use the lock ring and fits these narrower dropouts.

Last edited by Narhay; 10-19-19 at 09:34 AM.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 10-19-19, 08:38 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 661 Posts
nobody has mentioned the Suntour winner pro in Ultra-6. These have become pretty sought after in desireable ratios. They allow you to run a 6 speed block on a 120mm axle which is as cool today as it was 35 years ago. I have a couple of these NIB that I picked up years ago.

As always, a new chain is a good idea when putting on a new freewheel and for the Ultra-6 spacing you will likely need a Sedisport or Sach PC-850. I don't care for the KMC chains, but that's just me.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 10-19-19, 09:30 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
Also Suntour ProCompe, Perfect, New Winner and Winner came in Ultra spacing, as well as a version of the Regina CX and the Atom Compact. All 6 speed in just a hair over a 5 speed width.

FWIIW, I've had good luck using modern SRAM & KMC 8 or 9 speed chains on the narrow spaced six speeds.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 10-19-19, 12:50 PM
gilatm

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Nicely done beautiful blue Paramount! Looks as if it is a P-13 since it is missing the rear brake cable stops on the top tube. Are the wheels clinchers? 700c or 27"?
700c, Mavic rims and Campy record high flange hubs. I built the wheels some time ago - probably in the 90s. Thanks for the offer for the derailleur - let me see how this one works out once I have it all together. (Derailleurs always look like improbable machines until you put them to the test.) I did look up the Cyclones mentioned below - they look cool.

The triple crank would be great for touring - if I manage to get back into that - my absolute favorite type of bicycling - it would be a wonderful modification. (Or I might find my aging body needs it for normal riding at this point.)
Old 10-19-19, 12:53 PM
gilatm

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mpetry912
nobody has mentioned the Suntour winner pro in Ultra-6. These have become pretty sought after in desireable ratios. They allow you to run a 6 speed block on a 120mm axle which is as cool today as it was 35 years ago. I have a couple of these NIB that I picked up years ago.

As always, a new chain is a good idea when putting on a new freewheel and for the Ultra-6 spacing you will likely need a Sedisport or Sach PC-850. I don't care for the KMC chains, but that's just me.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Good idea, I'll pick up a chain - I was surprised how inexpensive the Sach pc-850 is. I had just cleaned my old chain, and did not notice wear marks on the pins - but for little money, I'll change it out.
Old 10-19-19, 01:38 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Is there a suntour derailleur that would fit more exactly my range - to be a bit "tighter"? 42/52 x 14-28 freewheel cluster?

Gil
A Suntour short cage of that era will likely handle the 24-tooth spread just fine, but you may run into some issues with a 26 or 28-tooth large cog, depending on the specific derailleur. These issues can usually be overcome with some fiddling, but it’s beyond my expertise, because I have only used long cage derailleurs.

Disraeli Gears is a great site to help understand the limits of various derailleurs. Here is the Suntour page, but many other brand are covered:

SunTour derailleurs
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 10-19-19, 02:41 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts

picture
I've got some serious paint envy. Very nice.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 10-19-19, 05:23 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by imabeliever1
If anyone on here would have one, it would be Pastor Bob. He is a longtime member here.

He is the freewheel man.

https://www.freewheelspa.com/
Yes, I'd bet he has a suitable freewheel for your Paramount. And freshly serviced and overhauled, and looking like a new one. Pastor Bob is a fine artisan when it comes to freewheel restoration.
Likes For Kent T:
Old 10-19-19, 06:56 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Keep perusing the Classifieds here in the C&V section of BF for a spare freewheel. Personally, I like the SunTour Winner Ultra series that fit the six cogs in the same total spacing as the original five. I have several that I swap out depending on the expected terrain of my ride/tours. Here on the glacially-scoured south shore of Lake Erie, we seldom see anything over a 100-foot climb (and that is a big river valley!). As such, I habitually use a 13-21 six speed freewheel and ride almost exclusively on an inner chainring, like my Fuji's 38, or the 42 of either the Miyata or Univega. I have others ranging from a 'straight-block' of 13-18 to a wider range of 14-32. For really hilly rides, two of my bikes have triple cranksets with 26t or 28t 'granny' inner rings.

If you really want to waste some time, check out this bicycle gear calculator https://www.gear-calculator.com where you can change chainrings and rear cogs by moving the sliders. You can input different tire sizes and cadences as well... This also works for the NUMBER of chainrings and number of rear cogs on your freewheel/freehub, from 2x5, 1x11 or 3x7
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 10-19-19, 07:23 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Oh, and keep a lookout for a early Cyclone GT rear derailleur. The VGT Luxe is a bit more 'robust', but the early Cyclone is next to perfection...
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 10-19-19, 09:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Are there any spacers or washers on the left end of the axle? You can move all the spacers and washers to the right end of the axle. Re-center the axle, and re-dish the wheel.
Likes For CliffordK: