Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Homeless story on Rebecca Twigg

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Homeless story on Rebecca Twigg

Old 04-15-19, 05:45 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I'll push through it, I will make it through. So convincingly I told myself in the middle of January here in the snow belt. Sleeping in a car that didn't run, having to ride my bike or walk wherever I went wasn't easy, wasn't real smart, but when there is nowhere else to go, that is what you do to get it done.

Was homeless that winter. This was back when we got a lot of snow all season long, and it was darned cold to boot. Being homeless is sometimes of one's own doing, sometimes it is a matter of circumstance, and yet at other times it is a malady one has no control over. I empathize with Twigg as I lived a part of her story myself.

Much like the childhood Hollywood star who's light has dimmed, she needed help with the transition from limelight to just one of us, but how in the world can she recognize that when she is living in the middle of a mess? A mess created by a set of fateful circumstances that aligned nicely to create this situation? It is a tough spot to be in.
Old 04-15-19, 05:49 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Was college put aside to pursue pro sports?
She was actually a child prodigy and started at the University of Washington at age 14. But her mother kicked her out of the house at age 16 and then she managed to snag a spot on the United States Women's National Team shortly thereafter, and pretty much lived on the road while racing.
Old 04-15-19, 05:53 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,373 Times in 3,665 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
She was actually a child prodigy and started at the University of Washington at age 14. But her mother kicked her out of the house at age 16 and then she managed to snag a spot on the United States Women's National Team shortly thereafter, and pretty much lived on the road while racing.
The road to H**L, literally.
Old 04-15-19, 06:05 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
Alexi Grewal ain't doing so well the last time I looked him up either. Found Jesus and was working construction.

Steve Hegg is doing well enough; he's my neighbor. And I regularly see Nelson Vails and John Howard riding around my town, and they appear to be doing alright for themselves.
Old 04-15-19, 06:06 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Yeah, I had't read the article closely earlier.

So, she took some college classes at age 14 at UW, but only ended up with an associates degree (probably from a community college).

Living in a basement, kicked to the curb by her mother, it sounds like she was struggling all her life.

Natural talent, lots of drive, and some innate stubbornness.

Not showing up for work, or calling in?

As far as education, there are collegiate cycling clubs, but it isn't considered a sport with cycling college scholarships. And, I'd imagine the top tiers of cyclists invest a lot of time to cycling, not just a couple of hours a day of "practice".

So, cycling likely didn't move her towards a career.
Old 04-15-19, 06:19 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
The sadism was in the USCF. Does no one remember the LA 84 Olympic blood-doping scandal? Rebecca was one of those who did not want to do it. At all. There was coercion. It was a botched hurry-up job of blood-doping that, surprise, made her sick. Eddy Borysewicz as vampire. How that guy is walking free is beyond me. The "walkout" at '96 Olympics was about using the sponsor's experimental superbike that simply did not work. She could have won that easy riding her own bike or most any bike. Just as she would have had Olympic gold in '84 if racing clean. The lady was vulnerable and the lady was abused. Abused a lot. One of the few who has spoken freely about how it all worked is Inga Thompson, mentioned in the article. If you look up her articles and interviews you will get a good idea how bad it was. Cycling for young women same as gymnastics or tennis or ballet. Coaches who get off on abusing girls. As long as USCF excels at fundraising and pays off USOC no rules and no restraints. Follow Inga's example and don't let your kids or any other family go near competitive cycling.
×1000!

BTW: There's some recent documentary on Amazon Prime about that entire debacle. Fraud USA right up there with fraud Olympics. Money pig, dog and pony show.

Old 04-15-19, 06:38 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I agree. It wasn't just the USCF, either. Few remember Prefontaine, but the system he fought hadn't waned a bit during Rebecca's time. It took years for the power that Carl Lewis wrested from amateur "governing bodies" to slide towards those who made them their money.

Rebecca was "handled" like many athletes were. You're given a list of things to accomplish, and nothing but crap if you don't agree. They'd rip the rug out from under you in a heartbeat. It's always about the money. I had to pay TAC just to stay amateur.

She's a really nice person, and I hope the article triggers something good for her. Her sense of fairness about the entirety of the problem is a common leadership trait; it's the step you take for yourself, that is the hardest, because it feels like selling out.

I would not be surprised if certain people have already reached out to her; perhaps it's just finding the right combination of what she wants, needs, and where she wants to go.

She could come and live with me, any time. I think my crush on her still has some staying power....

Heck, I'd love to just sit down and have a cup of coffee with her. Maybe someday. She's interesting. I like the different drummer marchers.

It's not a sad story, it's simply an example of the often illogical times in which we live; changing perceptions of just what is "healthy" or not, what "help" is, and who gets it, or administers it, or controls it, or makes money from it.

One of my old troops asked me once if he'd be getting the help he needed (mental health wise), if he hadn't served. "Nope," I said, "and you'd also likely be incarcerated." People loved him when he was the right kind of dangerous for the moment. Not so much now.

As for the GT bike, I agree there, too. If the Flying Scotsman hadn't broken the hour record on his own bike, he'd have been done, kaput, and look what cycling's "overseers" did to him, time and again. Boardman played the game right.

The sadism was in the USCF. Does no one remember the LA 84 Olympic blood-doping scandal? Rebecca was one of those who did not want to do it. At all. There was coercion. It was a botched hurry-up job of blood-doping that, surprise, made her sick. Eddy Borysewicz as vampire. How that guy is walking free is beyond me. The "walkout" at '96 Olympics was about using the sponsor's experimental superbike that simply did not work. She could have won that easy riding her own bike or most any bike. Just as she would have had Olympic gold in '84 if racing clean. The lady was vulnerable and the lady was abused. Abused a lot. One of the few who has spoken freely about how it all worked is Inga Thompson, mentioned in the article. If you look up her articles and interviews you will get a good idea how bad it was. Cycling for young women same as gymnastics or tennis or ballet. Coaches who get off on abusing girls. As long as USCF excels at fundraising and pays off USOC no rules and no restraints. Follow Inga's example and don't let your kids or any other family go near competitive cycling.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 04-16-19 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-15-19, 07:01 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
While she may not be an addict she most definitely falls in to the other most common demographic of homeless people . Mental illness...

Her story while sad is punctuated with poor life choices and a recurring this isn’t what I was born to do , couple that with depression and anxiety and you have a perfect storm for homelessness.

it’s sad but a lot of her worries were self created . I ‘d love to see her get the mental health care she needs and become a functioning member of society again .

Old 04-15-19, 07:07 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Some of those "choices" were not.
Old 04-15-19, 07:23 PM
Fissile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
My wife is an LMFT who worked at a hospital that specialized in providing mental health services for the homeless. She hated it - it was a cynical exercise. The police bring them in when they cause a scene or almost die. The hospital medicates them, gets them stable, kicks them out in three days with a prescription bottle in their hands. And then bills the state government. Someone does find them a place to go, but no one makes sure they go there. There's no long term plan.

In some ways this state does a much better job than others. There was a hospital in Nevada that would put them on a bus and dump them out of state. The press called it "Greyhound therapy." In other ways we do worse. Probably because of the good weather we don't have shelters like cities in the north, and so we get town sized camps.
America blames the ill for their illness, always has. The US would rather treat the mentally ill as criminals (at a higher cost) them get the the medical and treatment and counseling they need.
Old 04-15-19, 07:25 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
I was saddened to hear that one of Americas brightest cycling talents ended up homeless, I always rooted for her when i saw her compete,especially at the 84' Olympics here in L.A..

But for every Rebecca Twigg theres a thousand other athletes that managed to become succesful people after their Cycling careers were over. Maybe she made a lot of bad decisions to get herself in the situation she's currently in,only She knows for sure.

Good Luck to her, and hopefully this attention shes now getting gets her on the right track,no pun intended..
Old 04-15-19, 07:37 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
If I had stayed in cycling, there would have been a reasonable chance to try out for the Junior World team. In 1976 though I was advised, Eddy B. runs the show, you are too self-made. He won't like you, even if your times are fantastic.
Did that have an influence? A bit, but at the time there was essentially no path really observable to me to make a living on a bike. Greg, soon did, I had no family backing to assist, I was realistic.
Guys I raced successfully against did make the team. So it goes, I did not stick with it, they did. Mark Whitehead was married to Rebecca for a time, no idea what she saw in him.
Unfortunately the events in her life obviously made things a huge challenge. She deserves better.
Old 04-15-19, 07:58 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Tautatis
A very very sad story. It happens to a lot of Americans with talents - academics and sports.

You nailed it. It is very clear from the article there is mental health issues here and not just being kicked to the curb or quitting a job and - far from not being able to find work etc.
It is a sad story. I think from the article that there is more to her mental illness than simple anxiety. Her family kicking her to the curb and inability to hold a job indicate some serious unresolved issues. She gave so much for her sport and country, I hope that she can get some help and her problems be resolved.
Old 04-15-19, 08:28 PM
CroManganMan

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I see many similarities with this also sad story: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/08/s...lin-death.html
Possible mental illness, extreme intelligence, computer science, the drive to win. At least these stories are driving conversations we need to have. How many very successful athletes are driven to be the best by mental illness? How many genius level people have mental illness? Athletes driven by coaches and a system that wants winners at any cost rather than caring that it is a human that is in their care. Doing whatever it takes to win such as the heinous crimes that US gymnastics hid for many years in the name of winning. Athletes (like Tiger Woods) being raised to tie love from parents to winning and not winning means you’re a loser. Problems caused by head injuries or maybe even long term effects of doping.

I’m tired of winning, money or intelligence without compassion being tied to success. Rebecca Twigg seems to have compassion for other homeless people but I wonder how much of it is her justifying her mental problems to herself. Also, the joy from a win is very short lived and is all mental, not tangible. Happiness is reliant on way more than winning. I need to remind myself of these things and be more compassionate and mindful.
Old 04-15-19, 08:31 PM
merziac

Gotta be time for a Go Fund Me page, if 10% of us gave 10% of what we spend on our deal, she could get some serious help.
Old 04-15-19, 09:01 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by jonafd17
I see many similarities with this also sad story: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/08/s...lin-death.html
Possible mental illness, extreme intelligence, computer science, the drive to win. At least these stories are driving conversations we need to have. How many very successful athletes are driven to be the best by mental illness? How many genius level people have mental illness? Athletes driven by coaches and a system that wants winners at any cost rather than caring that it is a human that is in their care. Doing whatever it takes to win such as the heinous crimes that US gymnastics hid for many years in the name of winning. Athletes (like Tiger Woods) being raised to tie love from parents to winning and not winning means you’re a loser. Problems caused by head injuries or maybe even long term effects of doping.

I’m tired of winning, money or intelligence without compassion being tied to success. Rebecca Twigg seems to have compassion for other homeless people but I wonder how much of it is her justifying her mental problems to herself. Also, the joy from a win is very short lived and is all mental, not tangible. Happiness is reliant on way more than winning. I need to remind myself of these things and be more compassionate and mindful.
The article was short, I can think of many missing or glossed over points that might paint a better picture if included, possibly edited out or verboten to discuss for whatever reason. Often I have observed that life experiences in the years of mental development can often sabotage long term success. The best choices really cannot be made, they are obstructed.
Old 04-15-19, 09:02 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Gotta be time for a Go Fund Me page, if 10% of us gave 10% of what we spend on our deal, she could get some serious help.
I am in.
Old 04-15-19, 09:05 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Thanks for sharing the article. And some very interesting comments!
Old 04-15-19, 09:22 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Few remember Prefontaine, but the system he fought hadn't waned a bit during Rebecca's time.
A bit of a local legend here. But, his death was while I was still in gradeschool, and I don't remember it.

A number of our bike and jogging trails are named after him. Ok, I suppose primarily jogging trails.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre%27s_Trail

Apparently he did battle with accepting non monetary gifts as an amateur.

Nonetheless, I wonder if some of the issues were different, and I can't imagine him being forced to run in shoes that he didn't like, or Nike providing him with bad shoes.
Old 04-15-19, 11:32 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
I don't know about a thousand other, world class, athletes making it. How well did Mark Spitz do after his golden olympics? How well does anyone do who gave their life over to a sport or art and had no time, no person of wisdom to keep balance in their life. Where is Bobby Fisher, where are 70% and more of professional athletes when they are cut, we had one when I was in High School, blown knee teaching PE and Coaching at our High School. But when you couple a hard childhood, Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys, it goes on and on. I think we fool ourselves. I feel blessed all kids are raised and never got into the sports or arts crazyland where parents and families end up living a sport/art for a "gifted child", but what about the other siblings? And what about that child, again, where's the balance, taken by money or those who see your kid as their means to money. You hear it over and over the kids would like to just play their game without the parents, without the coaches, just play and work it out among themselves.

Sad, sad story and hope she gets help, as so many many other's need.

Peace to you Rebecca Twigg and comfort in your rest tonight.
Old 04-15-19, 11:43 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Twigg's story -- what little we know of it -- is too familiar among folks involved in single minded pursuits and orderly careers with clear missions. Particularly when they've come from disorderly backgrounds. It's particularly common among boxers. Besides the ups and downs they also incur a greater risk of concussions and traumatic brain injury than most athletes. Many families and friends of troubled boxers and ex-boxers will talk about how the fighters' personalities changed after too many head blows. Combined with self medication through booze and drugs, too many become volatile.

Part of the problem with Twigg's story was the vague romanticized version of her biography perpetrated by journalists during her peak cycling career. They had to have suspected something was amiss in her background. But they whitewashed it as an eccentricity or colorful family background. We prefer the success stories, especially when the athlete succeeds despite a troubled background.

Her evolving story should resonate with veterans of the military, law enforcement, even academia, any profession or pursuit that's insular, orderly, with clear expectations, goals, standards... all the things that rarely exist in the "real" world of uncertainty.
Old 04-16-19, 03:42 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
A gofund sounds like a solution but its not. She'll still be in the same situation eventually. It's a Mental issue that needs to be addressed. Sadly I've seen this story time and time again.
Think of it another way, she has everything most employers are looking for, appearance, intelligence, drive. So she would shoot straight to the front of the hiring line. But that's not going to help her. The help she needs is mental balance and stability. By whatever means including drugs.
Old 04-16-19, 05:26 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3861 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
"Sad" doesn't quite describe this. "Tragic" is more apt.

Still, she has probably accomplished a lot more in this life than many her age.

I hope I run into her one day downtown. If I do, I'll be sure to tell her how to take the e-line to my place where piping hot coffee, a hot shower, and conversation without judgment can be had anytime.

Thanks for posting, @scozim.
Old 04-16-19, 06:39 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
A gofund sounds like a solution but its not. She'll still be in the same situation eventually. It's a Mental issue that needs to be addressed. Sadly I've seen this story time and time again.
Think of it another way, she has everything most employers are looking for, appearance, intelligence, drive. So she would shoot straight to the front of the hiring line. But that's not going to help her. The help she needs is mental balance and stability. By whatever means including drugs.
I would agree with this line of thought. Until the mental issues are addressed, the situation will stay the same.

Still, there is an opportunity there to change her life and the lives of others. She is a homeless person and knows about the homeless life. Was a cyclist and has some knowledge of that industry. There has got to be something there for a bicycle company to pick up on. Maybe a national campaign assisting people with the need for basic transportation. Repurposing older bikes instead of destroying them. That could be a fit.
Old 04-16-19, 06:58 AM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
As I ...
Please stop with the politics ... Lets stay on point here

Last edited by BillyD; 04-16-19 at 05:19 PM. Reason: cleanup

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.