Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Are the TIS and other new metrics in WKO5 really that big a deal?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-19, 09:45 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

I curious. Also, I'm trying to decide if it's worth laying out the cash to upgrade from WKO4 to WKO5. One of the new metrics in WKO5 is the TIS. As I understand it, the TIS takes your power data, analyzes which energy systems you stressed during a workout, and gives you a report of where you may be over-doing it and under-doing it. If I'm correct, I see the value. TSS just gives you a total load. TIS tells you where you distributed that load. Although I'm sure the Garmin version is not as sophisticated, it sounds a little like the scoring / analysis the newer Garmin Edge devices provide at the end of a workout. Here are my questions . . .
  • Am I correct about TIS and what it does?
  • Is anyone using TIS on a regular basis? Does it provide anything you couldn't have figured out by looking at your power distribution data?
  • Is it worth the bother? In other words, is it quick and convenient to use?
  • And finally, is there anything else about WKO5 that makes it worth the price to move up from WKO4? (I'm a self-trained data junkie, but not a tech junkie. I value the data, but I don't want to spend too much time or effort getting it -- or learning how to get it.)
Old 10-02-19, 11:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Garmin's newer watches do that over a rolling (month?) period, based on HR. They're way more expensive than a software upgrade.
Old 10-03-19, 08:00 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Garmin's newer watches do that over a rolling (month?) period, based on HR. They're way more expensive than a software upgrade.
As mentioned in my original post, I'm familiar with what Garmin offers on its Edge and other devices. It is very easy to use (it happens automatically, whether you want it or not), but it's not very useful for a number of reasons. I think they've sacrificed a lot of accuracy and usefulness in order to make it easy. But it seems to be getting better over time.

Do you have any experience with the new WKO5 metrics? That's what I'm really interested in.
Old 10-03-19, 10:12 AM
Seattle Forrest

I have not used WKO5. I was in a car accident in August, I broke a rib, collapsed a lung, got a very bad case of tendinitis in my ankle. Everything but the ankle is better, but it's still preventing me from riding. I just hang out here because I love bikes and like the people.

I replied to let you know the newer Garmins have extended the feature beyond one ride to overall training balance, and was trying to frame it in a way that made WKO5 sound less expensive. 🙂
Old 10-03-19, 12:04 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Understood. I hope you're back on the bike soon!
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 10-03-19, 12:18 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Might be a good question to ask or discuss here https://forum.trainerroad.com/t/wko5...rent/18194/334
Old 10-03-19, 03:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Understood. I hope you're back on the bike soon!
Thanks!

I'm attracted to threads like these because I think it's really cool that we can use math to be better cyclists, and to improve our fitness all around. When you find the answer, let us know!
Old 10-04-19, 09:44 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

I haven't received any opinions. But the interface and sync is improved with WKO5. That's enough to get me to buy. I will let you know what I discover.