Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fork Choices

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Fork Choices

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-17, 08:03 AM
qko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fork Choices

I have a Schwinn LeTour II Mixte frame that is being prepped to become my next commuter.

Currently it is configured with a 700c fork from a Centurion and 650A/26 x 1 3/8 wheelset I had built for another project.

The Weinmann centerpulls just reach the proper pad location with this fork, but there are no eyelets to mount fenders or the low-rider pannier rack.

I'm looking at the idea of replacing the fork rather than trying to install eyelets.

Should I go with another 700c fork, a 26 x 1 3/8 fork, or are there other options I should consider, and why?

Would like to stay with the centerpull brake, but will consider other ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
Old 12-30-17, 09:16 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
it originally came with a 700c fork, so that's probably what you want. The measurement you want to replicate is the axle-crown (AC), preferably of the original fork.

You may not have the longest reach brake, I'm pretty sure these came with the mid-reach version. Could be wrong, of course.

The original fork had eyelets. I don't know if you can get one of those though.

I'm moving this from framebuilders to C&V so you can get better help.
Old 12-30-17, 12:47 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
it originally came with a 700c fork, so that's probably what you want. The measurement you want to replicate is the axle-crown (AC), preferably of the original fork.

You may not have the longest reach brake, I'm pretty sure these came with the mid-reach version. Could be wrong, of course.

The original fork had eyelets. I don't know if you can get one of those though.

I'm moving this from framebuilders to C&V so you can get better help.
I don't think there's a need to replicate the axle-crown measurement if you understand that the head tube angle will change slightly, which will affect trail, but you'd only notice it if it were significant.

That said, I prefer very long AC measurements, as this gives more room for fatter tires and fenders. Soa shorter AC measurement than your original fork might be an issue. If you're trying to use the original brakes, that's another consideration.
Old 12-30-17, 11:04 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Obviously it depends on the rake, but going to a much shorter fork will probably mess up the handling. I was hoping someone had an idea what the A-C was on this bike. I know they are relatively popular bikes in the CnV world.