Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Men riding a womens bike????

Old 03-18-18, 01:24 PM
RichardHaas

Bikes: Schwinn S7, Schwinn '66 cruiser, couple of MTB's

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Men riding a womens bike????

I have a few bikes but the most comfortable for now is a cruiser style bike. Someone gave me a womens mountain bike and am now going through it for maintenance and cleanup.
I have a prosthetic left leg and sometimes the cruiser is a little hard to get on and off by swinging my good or bad leg over the saddle and top rail.
I am just wondering if many men ride a womens bike for ease of getting on and start going. Once I am going, I feel good with the cruiser but it is only a 7 speed and inclines give me a little trouble if I haven't built up enough speed to compensate for the incline.
I am 73 years old and just bike for the exercise and scenery viewing along local greenways. I don't ride roads because I don't trust my riding and others in cars don't seem to care or lookout for a bike rider.
The gearing would be great with the mountain bike since I would have many more to choose from and getting on and off would be a lot better also.
Do many men ride womens bikes**********?
Just something that popped in my head while working on it and just wondering about it.
Any comments about this would be great.

Thanks
Richard
Old 03-18-18, 01:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I get the step thru convenience of a 'womens' bike with my folding bike..

Several years ago 2 guys from Sweden passed thru, down the Pacific coast , they had started in Alaska,

and had loaded their gear on a commuter bike, 8 speed IGH , step thru frame,

planned to ride across the southern US and fly home from Florida..

really, metal has no gender..

Likes For fietsbob:
Old 03-18-18, 01:53 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
For energetic, dedicated riding I prefer the traditional Diamond frame.
Step-thrus are flexier and/or heavier for a comparable price/level of engineering.

For more casual riding, beater bikes etc I’m quite happy to use step-thru frames.
A good quality mixte frame can be a decent compromise. Lower instep, with considerably less drawbacks in added weight and lost stiffness.
Old 03-18-18, 02:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
One issue is that often women's bikes are made in smaller sizes than men's bikes.

But if you hunt, you'll find one that you like. And, at age 73... you may well be smaller than you were when you were younger.
Old 03-18-18, 02:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

By the way, a workaround for diamond frame bikes .. with leg mobility issues..

lay it on the ground.. stand over it, pull it up underneath you, then off you go..

I've had to do this myself..

Old 03-18-18, 02:57 PM
RichardHaas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the comments. I am going to check it out farther and see what actual size I need. The one given to me is a 26" tire size and it is a walmart type bike. I think I will enjoy riding more with one than with a high framed one. Looks like I need to visit my LBS and check what he has to offer and try one on for size also.
For me, riding a bike is a lot easier than walking since I don't have the weight on the leg. I don't normally stand while riding. Just sit and pedal.
I am 5'9" and 155 lbs.
Are we having fun yet? I sure am.

Richard
Old 03-18-18, 05:23 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Also keep in mind that by definition "mixte" literally means universal, not women's. Many bike makers only offered them in the one form as utility bikes for all. The diamond frame as we know it was primarily borne out of racing and of course became the standard for its machismo since we all think we are so fast.

Originally Posted by RichardHaas
Thanks all for the comments. I am going to check it out farther and see what actual size I need. The one given to me is a 26" tire size and it is a walmart type bike. I think I will enjoy riding more with one than with a high framed one. Looks like I need to visit my LBS and check what he has to offer and try one on for size also.
For me, riding a bike is a lot easier than walking since I don't have the weight on the leg. I don't normally stand while riding. Just sit and pedal.
I am 5'9" and 155 lbs.
Are we having fun yet? I sure am.

Richard
Old 03-18-18, 07:14 PM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DH has to lay his bike down as he can't lift his leg over the top bar of his mountain bike.. he was looking at womens frames yesterday when we were ordering my new trike.. he was also looking at e-assists,,, his hips are worse than his knees and he can pedal more than walk, but lifting the leg over doesn't work so well anymore.. I have a feeling his next bike will be a step through frame of some sort.. he's due soon too but I made him promise to try riding a bit more before we get him a bike as I am not sure he'll really use anything right now and what he is looking at is up there in price..
Old 03-18-18, 07:32 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
If it is any help, in Europe men and women ride step-through frames of all sorts. Being able to mount and dismount easily is a benefit for everyone, not just women.

It is regrettable that sexist notions could get in the way of getting the bike style that works best for you.
Old 03-19-18, 01:42 AM
RichardHaas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
If it is any help, in Europe men and women ride step-through frames of all sorts. Being able to mount and dismount easily is a benefit for everyone, not just women.

It is regrettable that sexist notions could get in the way of getting the bike style that works best for you.
Yes it is regrettable that it seems to be the norm. When I was growing up it was almost a sin for a boy to ride a girls bike and it seems to be a lot better now days on that thinking. Back then he sure didn't want his friends to see him ride one and if he did, they would give him a hard time.

Thanks
Richard
Old 03-19-18, 06:12 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You're 73. Ride what you want!
Old 03-19-18, 08:55 AM
RichardHaas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmie65
You're 73. Ride what you want!
My way of thinking also.
Thanks
Old 03-19-18, 09:56 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Yes it is regrettable that it seems to be the norm. When I was growing up it was almost a sin for a boy to ride a girls bike and it seems to be a lot better now days on that thinking. Back then he sure didn't want his friends to see him ride one and if he did, they would give him a hard time.

Thanks
Richard
Same in my childhood neighborhood. You'd be ruined forever if you were spotted on a girls bike.

Now that I'm older, and realize how stupid we all were, I'd love to have a mixte or a step through. I think the frames look cool.
Old 03-19-18, 11:27 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I like to ride my wife's mixte once in a blue moon. And we've talked about getting a Soma Buena Vista that could be shared.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
really, metal has no gender..
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-19-18, 11:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Shared Oma with a Baby seat makes sense, because you have that child in the seat..

Vs Duck kid !
Old 03-19-18, 05:10 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
another advantage?

After a year of experimenting and adjustments I determined my "best fit" measurements only to find out there was a near perfect match. A "women's" model Specialized in a 57cm. Found one. Bought it. Best fit ever. And used women's bike sell for less also. And this old ex-army NCO is not threatened by a little pink paint trim either.
Old 03-19-18, 07:21 PM
RichardHaas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grayEZrider
After a year of experimenting and adjustments I determined my "best fit" measurements only to find out there was a near perfect match. A "women's" model Specialized in a 57cm. Found one. Bought it. Best fit ever. And used women's bike sell for less also. And this old ex-army NCO is not threatened by a little pink paint trim either.
Yeah I've thought about painting the pink black or white. Never cared for pink anything. I'm thinking enamel paint would work oK.
Old 03-20-18, 09:59 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
A woman's bike is a bike owned by a woman.

Crank forward or flat foot technology (Electra) bikes often have lower top tubes and some are also available in step thru styles. These bikes have the advantage of the rider being able to place both feet on the ground while still sitting on the seat. (While stopped, of course.) https://www.bicycleman.com/crank-forward/

Last edited by JanMM; 03-20-18 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-20-18, 10:31 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I've ridden plenty of step-thru bikes. Never once had an issue with any of it.

I'd actually like a nice mixte as a city bike.
Old 03-21-18, 09:57 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
As long as there's not a basket on front with plastic daisies stuck to it, it's not a "women's" bike. Not a thing wrong with a man riding a step-through. In fact, in a sane world, a step through bike would be a man's bike if you think about it for a bit. Much better than having a high bar so close to the boys.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 03-21-18, 12:15 PM
RichardHaas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
As long as there's not a basket on front with plastic daisies stuck to it, it's not a "women's" bike. Not a thing wrong with a man riding a step-through. In fact, in a sane world, a step through bike would be a man's bike if you think about it for a bit. Much better than having a high bar so close to the boys.
I agree with that. I have never understood why there had to be a difference but for some reason it started out like that for the gender's.
Old 03-21-18, 10:34 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
My daily commuter

Old 03-22-18, 07:05 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I agree with that. I have never understood why there had to be a difference but for some reason it started out like that for the gender's.
Skirts. Women wore skirts and dresses in the 1800s, and a low bar kept them from having to hike the skirt up to get on the bike. Wouldn't want to expose the knickers accidentally.

Also,dropping the top bar weakened the frame. Since it was assumed women would only ride recreationally and not competitively, this wasn't an issue for women's bikes.
Old 03-22-18, 07:06 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
What's wrong with plastic daisies?
Old 03-22-18, 07:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
By the way, a workaround for diamond frame bikes .. with leg mobility issues..lay it on the ground.. stand over it, pull it up underneath you
hey thanks for this!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.