Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Looking for suggestions (6ft 2in, 320lbs, 33 year old male, new-ish rider)

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 11:42 AM
tch34065

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All!

I'm a big guy (6ft 2in, 320lbs, 33 year old male, new-ish rider) from Los Angeles. I bought a nice hybrid bike with straight handlebars and have put about 200-300 miles on it now. The most I've ridden on it is about 30 miles. I've climbed about 2,000 ft with it. I am training for AIDS/LifeCycle 2019 and am feeling like I need a road bike for endurance rides (80+ miles). I was going to reward myself after dropping 50lbs with a road bike, but I worry that I need to get used to a road bike with hoods, and in general get riding a bike that I'll be used to riding. I prefer disc brakes as they stop better (especially with my extra weight).

First, do you have any suggestions for a decent road bike that can withstand my weight? I can afford about $2,000 for a bike. I'm not sure about what it should be made of. I've heard conflicting opinions that carbon fiber, while light, isn't strong enough for big guys like me. I also am tall, and don't want to hurt my back bending over so much.

Second, I'm having a rough time finding jerseys. I believe 4XL jerseys are my size. I'm not sure of my chest but I bought a 3XL jersey and it was too short (my belly sticks out).

Lastly, and I know this is a typical issue, but my butt hurts so much after a 30 mile ride. I have about 4 bibs that work well, I just don't know if my seat is right. With long distance rides, do you get to a point where you stop hurting, or is this just something that is apart of the sport?

Thanks for any help you can give!!
-Travis
Old 08-30-18, 11:50 AM
Vq30de

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey you’re me! I’m the same size (little taller). I just got a Specialized Roubaix Comp and it’s absolutely perfect for me. The base Roubaix lists at $1900. Carbon seems to be working out just fine for big guys. You just have to be aware of your weight and ride accordingly. Regarding the position, this bike is relatively upright, and that’ll be true of any “endurance” bike, which sounds like what you want. This was by far the most comfortable one I rode. And that’s key, go ride a ton of stuff.

regarding getting used to it, I thought I’d need time too. 8 days after buying it I did a 40+ mile shakedown ride and felt just fine. It’s not much of an adjustment.

also, my butt quits hurting after about 20 miles. You may have to experiment with saddles...

Old 08-30-18, 11:58 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by tch34065

First, do you have any suggestions for a decent road bike that can withstand my weight? I can afford about $2,000 for a bike.
A touring bike can handle your weight easily. Lots of options under $2k.
Old 08-30-18, 12:19 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
If you're still using your stock saddle, that's probably the reason your butt hurts. If you're going to get a road bike, might as well wait and sort your saddle issues out there.

Lots of guys your size ride road bikes, despite scary sounding "max weight" lawyer limits.

Let's see if we can drag @Beachgrad05 out of hiding - she has done a couple Aids Life Cycle rides and can probably give you better advice.
Old 08-30-18, 12:54 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
If you're still using your stock saddle, that's probably the reason your butt hurts. If you're going to get a road bike, might as well wait and sort your saddle issues out there.

Lots of guys your size ride road bikes, despite scary sounding "max weight" lawyer limits.

Let's see if we can drag @Beachgrad05 out of hiding - she has done a couple Aids Life Cycle rides and can probably give you better advice.
I actually referred him to the forum. I know that the knowledge base here and experience from those his size would be so beneficial.
Old 08-30-18, 12:55 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

I forgot...WELCOME TRAVIS
Old 08-30-18, 01:00 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

I can suggest for jersey's that maybe Aerotech would be good option as they make sizes that might work well from what I have read on this forum from others.
Old 08-30-18, 01:23 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
I actually referred him to the forum. I know that the knowledge base here and experience from those his size would be so beneficial.
Well heck!

Old 08-30-18, 01:29 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Well heck!

Hahahaha
Old 08-30-18, 05:24 PM
tch34065

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awwww, thanks so much for all your suggestions!! Thank you so much, Shawn, for the suggestion to reach out here!!! <3<3<3
Old 08-31-18, 08:51 AM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
I have had good luck with amazon for bibs. I wear either a 4x or 3x depending on the company. Look out for "Asian sizing" (hey that is what they call it) because a 3X Asian is an XL American. For me if they don't fit right i just make sure my shirt is long enough to cover my gut. The truth is bibs are horrible ugly garments but they are the best thing fir fat guys on bikes.

I suggest get the new bike then get the saddle to fit. some aching is to be expected but actual pain isn't. At your price range you could do to a retailer who can help fit your bike as part of the purchase which could help.
Old 09-01-18, 04:22 AM
Idak

Bikes: Felt Z70 and F30X

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are buying a road bike, get one that can use larger tires. I was a 3k a year rider 20 years ago. At 61, I'm almost 300 lbs and I get pinch flats all the time. I have to keep my top speeds down (Going down hill. Doesn't happen on flats). My road frame won't handle tires wider than 25mm. I'm buying a "gravel" bike, to get the wider tires. It will still have drop bars and road components. It will have disk brakes. As a big guy, I'd go there. Once I get the weight down, I'll be able to ride the road bike as my summer bike an the gravel bike as my fender/racks winter and errand bike.
Old 09-01-18, 06:31 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
+1 for steel touring/CX/gravel bike.
I am 6'1"/38y/just under 300lbs. Double Cross with 3x9 works for me. I run 42mm tires.
There are many options from Soma, Black Mtn, Salsa, Surly and others. If you or the shop build it from the frame you can leave the steel steerer uncut with a possibility of raising the handlebars higher. This will help you avoid being overly stretched out. It is harder to do with carbon.
Even if one can drop 10lbs of weight by getting carbon, it is not the most critical thing at our weight.
Old 09-02-18, 03:50 AM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
There’s heaps of bike options for you. The wheels will be the limiting factor so check them out. Also
speak to shops as some shops will be happy to swap out wheels if the stock ones don’t suit.

Re saddles, it’s personal so there’s no real way around trying a heap out.....if that’s your issue. If you’re ok on shorter rides than your 30 miles then chamois cream may be your saviour. Give some a try and see how you go. It’s an absolute must on longer rides, even if your chamois/knicks and saddle combo is sorted.
Old 09-02-18, 07:41 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Give Mike Varley at Home - Black Mountain Cycles
a ring.
He can build to a price specification, although a nicely equipped 105 or Rival 22 is around $2500.

Hand built wheels, so if you want 36 spoke, he can do it.

The frames are strong, either the Road+ or the Monster Cross Disc will work, just depends if you want more relaxed geometry or more aggressive geometry. Both will take 47mm tires.

I have the MCD and it is stable as can be while still being nearly as nimble as a typical road bike.

This is "Colonel Mustard":

More photos here of other bike builds:
https://www.facebook.com/BlackMounta...44LTwwdh6bfKoA