Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can I drop in a 7 speed freewheel?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-01-18, 12:23 AM
johnspack

Bikes: 2012 Giant Trance, 1979 Dawes Echelon, Late 80s Walmart MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Have a late 80s mtb that's all shimano. Has 126mm dropout, I shouldn't have an issue replacing my 6 speed with a 7 right? I have to pull my freewheel apart anyways, so might as well.
Old 09-01-18, 03:04 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
1. What are you trying to achieve by going 7 speed?

2.. Are you planning to use the same wheel with 7 speed freewheel?

3. Is your frame steel?
Old 09-01-18, 05:48 AM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
Should be OK :

Freewheels (Thread on Type) for Bicycles from Harris Cyclery
Old 09-01-18, 06:12 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Both 6 and 7-speed freewheel and cassette hubs are 126 mm OLD so your current wheel and frame should accept the 7-speed freewheel with no difficulty. If you have 6-speed indexed shifting, it won't work with the 7-speed but if you have friction shifting it will be fine but you will probably have to adjust the rear derailleur's limit screws a bit.
Old 09-01-18, 06:26 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by johnspack
Have a late 80s mtb that's all shimano. Has 126mm dropout, I shouldn't have an issue replacing my 6 speed with a 7 right? I have to pull my freewheel apart anyways, so might as well.
My situation may be unique or it might be different going from 6 speed to 7 speed, but I recently replaced a 5 speed freewheel with a 7 speed, and I had to add spacers to the drive side and redish to make enough room for the new freewheel. It wasn't that big a deal, but it wasn't as easy as I had hoped it would be.
Old 09-01-18, 06:36 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
I just tried it in the non-profit shop the other day, and it didn't work. It looked fine until the chain went on, with no clearance to the seat stay. The solution the post above was too involved for the bike and the volunteer mechanics involved.
Old 09-01-18, 06:59 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
The replies give the range of likely results. The FW will thread onto the hub well enough, it will likely clear the frame when the wheel is installed and the chain might even clear the stay ends too. But just as likely is that the chain will contact the seat stay end, if not when running on the small cog then maybe when it lifts up as it shifts off and climbs onto that next cog. This can cause the chain to jam and stop moving, not good if you're not expecting it.

What will really be the case is dependent on the dimension of the freewheel width, the axle end nut to freewheel seat on the shell and the frame's stay ends (how far down to the slot is it and how far to the inside the stay's 'thickness" extends). That's a lot of variables to anticipate fully, even for an experienced guy.

So once again the best answer is maybe why don't you try it and report back. Andy
Old 09-01-18, 08:14 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by clengman
My situation may be unique or it might be different going from 6 speed to 7 speed, but I recently replaced a 5 speed freewheel with a 7 speed, and I had to add spacers to the drive side and redish to make enough room for the new freewheel. It wasn't that big a deal, but it wasn't as easy as I had hoped it would be.
5-speed freewheel hubs were typically spaced 120 mm so substituting a 7-speed, requiring a 126 mm hub, is not straightforward.

Andy is correct that a 7-speed freewheel is slightly wider than a 6-speed, even thought the nominal hub width is the same. So, respacing the axle with a thin spacer on the drive side may be needed to get chain clearance.
Old 09-01-18, 08:56 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26375 Post(s)
Liked 10,351 Times in 7,190 Posts
Originally Posted by hermanchauw
1. What are you trying to achieve by going 7 speed?
...+1. What's the point ? You can get the same overall range with a six and your chances of running into the above issues are zero.
Plus you can still use your indexing, which is an advantage on a mountain bike. Assuming you are using it as such.
Old 09-01-18, 10:13 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The replies give the range of likely results. The FW will thread onto the hub well enough, it will likely clear the frame when the wheel is installed and the chain might even clear the stay ends too. But just as likely is that the chain will contact the seat stay end, if not when running on the small cog then maybe when it lifts up as it shifts off and climbs onto that next cog. This can cause the chain to jam and stop moving, not good if you're not expecting it.

What will really be the case is dependent on the dimension of the freewheel width, the axle end nut to freewheel seat on the shell and the frame's stay ends (how far down to the slot is it and how far to the inside the stay's 'thickness" extends). That's a lot of variables to anticipate fully, even for an experienced guy.

So once again the best answer is maybe why don't you try it and report back. Andy
Just to add to Andy's comments: different 7 speed freewheels have different overall widths, even though the cog to cog spacing is the same. Just more variables to deal with.
Old 09-01-18, 10:35 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Andrew,
Excellent, cogent reply. Upped my knowledge - thanks!

Gratuititous joke warning - completely off topic (the used of the word "upped" triggered this):
As an aside, you may be amused to recall a humorous slogan used by Pat Paulsen. Paulsen was a comedian who gained great notoriety for his roles on the Smothers Brother's show. He played a deadpan milquetoast fellow (in reality, he was pretty tough - he'd been US Marine who served just as WW II was ending). Anyway, he declared his candidacy for presidency, and his compaign speeches were hilarious and clever- he really parodied those in power. His campaign slogan is the point here: "We're raising our standards. Up yours!".

I also recall him talking about Hawaii and informing folks that a wahine was something you served on a bu-hun with mu-hustard. Ah, the good old days.
Old 09-01-18, 10:39 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
5-speed freewheel hubs were typically spaced 120 mm so substituting a 7-speed, requiring a 126 mm hub, is not straightforward.

Andy is correct that a 7-speed freewheel is slightly wider than a 6-speed, even thought the nominal hub width is the same. So, respacing the axle with a thin spacer on the drive side may be needed to get chain clearance.
My dropouts are 126mm, but I suspect the hub was indeed 120mm OLD. After I added spacers, I had to buy a longer axle.
Old 09-01-18, 11:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
all the 7 speeds I've seen, the added cog is in the middle , High gear still a 13t..
screwing onto the Freewheel body.

the spacers between the cogs got thinner and as a result the chains had to be thinner as well

overall width close to same, add a little shim spacer on axle if not clearing frame ..

Old 09-01-18, 03:00 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
So in 1988 I went from a 6 speed freewheel to a 7 speed freewheel on a Cannondale frame with 126mm dropouts. No issues. Same thing on a second 126mm Cannondale. And a steel Univega, and a couple of others I don't recall the bike. Have run various wheels, freewheel mfg's and everyone worked. I am running a KMC 8.93 chain even indexed on the wider Sach Aris cogs with no issues.

I suppose there is a 126mm that will have a frame issue, but just add a 1mm washer/spacer. Life was certainly easier years ago when you just did it without a laundry list of potential, usually rare issues to consider. The way things are now it is a wonder anyone tries anything without a dozen positive responses.

John
Old 09-01-18, 04:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...+1. What's the point ? You can get the same overall range with a six and your chances of running into the above issues are zero.
Plus you can still use your indexing, which is an advantage on a mountain bike. Assuming you are using it as such.
Since the Op never said what he was trying to achieve we don't know if the 7 speed freewheel might have a different ratio range, or he's looking for tighter gaps between shifts. both are worthy goals. Andy
Old 09-01-18, 04:18 PM
johnspack

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Well I looked at the 7 speed specs and there is an extra gear in the middle some where. I assume that will give me smoother shifting from high to low. It uses friction shifting, and has a steel frame. I'm slowly restoring the bike for fun.
Couldn't even ride it at first, but now riding many miles a day on it. If I'm going to pull the freewheel anyways, figured a nice new 7 speed in there would be nice! I don't think a different chain is required for going from 6 to 7, but I don't
mind replacing that anyways. It's just a silly project that I now can't stop.....
Old 09-01-18, 06:17 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26375 Post(s)
Liked 10,351 Times in 7,190 Posts
Originally Posted by johnspack
Well I looked at the 7 speed specs and there is an extra gear in the middle some where. I assume that will give me smoother shifting from high to low. It uses friction shifting...
...speaking generally, this is not true. If you want "smoother" shifting, look for a 6 speed freewheel with ramped teeth as your replacement, and buy yourself a KMC 8.93 chain for 12 bucks. Use plastic lined cable housing, and if you want the deluxe version, buy die drawn (smooth) stainless steel cables for your derailleurs. If you are using used but still functional parts, look for an old Shimano 6 speed freewheel with the teeth on the cogs slightly twisted to assist in chain pickup. Suntour did a similar thing by grinding the teeth so they were a little high on the pickup side.

I would caution you against buying a used freewheel off e-bay or similar sites. They often have one cog (often in the 18 or 16 range) that got used a lot more than the others and is worn. You cana repplace cogs if you have a source, but they are getting harder to find unless you rob other freewheels. nttawwt
Old 09-01-18, 07:16 PM
johnspack

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Was actually looking at 7 speeds with ramped teeth. I believe I can get a brand new one. Not buying from ebay, only accredited online bike shops. My local bike shop may actually have one. And yes, might as well replace my chain as well. And nice idea on cable housings,
hadn't really though of that. Will replace now. Yes, old bike is going to cost me a bit to get right....
Old 09-01-18, 11:06 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I’ve made the 6 to 7 cog switch four times. Three of the swaps worked flawlessly, but one of the swaps necessitated adding a spacer for the chain to clear the chain stay. Just depends on the bike, I guess.
Old 09-02-18, 05:03 PM
johnspack

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, I'm prepared to add a spacer if that is needed. Also think I want a new derailleur and chain to go with it. Whatever makes shifting from high to low on a hill easier.