Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help Me Understand This Forum ...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-18, 03:57 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I get what everyone is doing here (buying and restoring classic bikes). But help me understand why for my own benefit. If it helps I restore vintage cars.

Is it that:

a) Its a nostalgia thing. Many of us car lovers buy cars we loved as 18 year olds but couldn't afford!
b) The bikes back then were very different than they are now. For example, the styling and space of some muscle cars have not been produced since.
c) The rarity of the bikes make them prize worthy? 1967 Shelby Gt500 routinely sell over $1M.
d) The joy of getting something to work? I restored an old Mustang and it was the closest thing a man can get to giving birth!
e) Something else?
Old 10-09-18, 04:03 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26424 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
e) There are a lot of very odd people in the world.
Old 10-09-18, 04:07 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I like the look and serviceability of older bikes. I have a particular thing for old 3-speeds. I love that Sturmey-Archer has been making essentially the same design with only minor changes, almost uninterrupted, for over 80 years. A lot of early examples are still quite usable, too!
Old 10-09-18, 04:17 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
I’ve learned a lot of this forum and have met a few friends. On the vintage bike side I cannot afford the quality modern bike like I can a bike from the 80’s.
Old 10-09-18, 04:23 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I think they're cool; others may differ. The differences between vintage and modern bikes is not that great. And I love working on them and restoring them. I like drinking a beer or two, listening to music, and working on an old bike.
Old 10-09-18, 04:23 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
For me its combination of things; I enjoy making something that was being neglected useful again. And I have never considered myself particularly mechanical but with old bikes the mechanics are straightforward enough that even I can figure them out (mostly). Finally when a bike fits and works right (and you made that happen) and your sailing down the road with the wind in your face that is a pretty good feeling.
Likes For ryansu:
Old 10-09-18, 04:33 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Yes, and then some.

Originally Posted by raria
I get what everyone is doing here (buying and restoring classic bikes). But help me understand why for my own benefit. If it helps I restore vintage cars.

Is it that:

a) Its a nostalgia thing. Many of us car lovers buy cars we loved as 18 year olds but couldn't afford!
b) The bikes back then were very different than they are now. For example, the styling and space of some muscle cars have not been produced since.
c) The rarity of the bikes make them prize worthy? 1967 Shelby Gt500 routinely sell over $1M.
d) The joy of getting something to work? I restored an old Mustang and it was the closest thing a man can get to giving birth!
e) Something else?
Old 10-09-18, 04:38 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
All of the above. Modern plastic bikes are just butt ugly, expensive, I don't have the tools or knowledge to work on them. A 30-50 year old road bike is a thing of beauty, to look at, to ride, and to work on.

Old 10-09-18, 04:47 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
All of the above. Modern plastic bikes are just butt ugly, expensive, I don't have the tools or knowledge to work on them. A 30-50 year old road bike is a thing of beauty, to look at, to ride, and to work on.
This^^^^

I can actually sit in my garage and admire my bikes for their beauty and symmetry. My guess is most roadies that ride the latest CF bikes don't really do that. Its more or less a tool for them and maybe I'm wrong, but beautiful they are not.

Oh, one more thing, this is a very nice community to be a part of. Vintage guys are just nice people to be around.

Last edited by Giacomo 1; 10-09-18 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-09-18, 04:52 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
1-Good therapy, and a lot cheaper.
2-Legal. Shooting people just causes so much hassle.
3-Fun. Eye-hand coordination, measurably declines while drinking, though.
4-Creative. We make junk look like clean and pretty junk.
5-Conversation. We are nerds on this subject.
6-Honesty. You can lie about your riding, but the bike is what it is.
7-Humility. Someone else's bike is always better.
8-Pride. Someone else's bike is always worse.
9-Magic. Sometimes, we accidentally create a really nice bike.
10-Aphrodesiac. Buy an Ironman and find out.
Old 10-09-18, 05:03 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
snip . . .

10-Aphrodesiac. Buy an Ironman and find out.
cheaper than a little blue pill?
Old 10-09-18, 05:17 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts

Is it that:

e) Something else?
it will be wildly different for each person.

not everyone is buying and restoring old bikes, some are working on bikes they got new, others are taking old frames and putting new components on the, while others it is friction only

there really are not many shelby gt type bikes when it gets to valuations....no one is making big bucks on bikes as an investment

for me personally it is a mix

Aesthetics, I like how the classic frame looks, with a classic stem and handle bars. For me brook leather saddles work. That said my latest build has very modern components...not everyone likes or will do that but I get the best of both worlds

Steel frames are durable, ride great, and have a soul.

classic 32 spoke wheels work and I am getting more into tubulars

the people here are good people, i have met several IRL and hope to meet more.

I do like fiddling and learning new things like wheel building

Old 10-09-18, 05:32 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 281 Posts
Pretty much everything RobbieTunes said.
And for the record, we each own more that one Ironman. I don't know what that means, but there it is.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 10-09-18, 05:46 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
I used to tinker with department store bikes as a kid, then bought a LeJeune a year before getting my drivers license. However, neither suburban NJ or Ithaca NY are good places to ride; too much traffic, narrow streets, and big hills.

In Ann Arbor, I rode a fair amount, particularly to UM football, campus, my office, Gallup Park, Dexter, etc. Also, there was a steady market of college students and faculty/staff in need of transit bikes.

Towards the end of the Great Recession, I found a renewed passion for bicycles and greatly increased my collection, all funded by acquiring, refurbishing, and selling bikes. I have about 30 bike hooks in my garage and want to limit my road bike collection to about that many, plus a tandem and a few MTBs. In the eastern suburbs of Detroit, bike riding is preferred to auto transit. The streets are wide, the traffic moves slow, it's flat, and the architecture is stupendous. Whether working out at the gym, taking in a movie, going yachting, visiting my mom in assisted living, chores, it's more fun with a ride.

Last edited by oddjob2; 10-09-18 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-09-18, 05:55 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I like to treat an old bike as a platform on which to build the bike I want, which will usually have a lot of old parts, some new parts that are indistinguishable from the old ones, and a bunch of new and modern stuff.

The bike I've been riding lately, for example, has new 10 speed drive train except for the front derailleur and the crank, which are from the 70's. It has new brakes and new brakes levers, new (modern) hubs, and new (modern) pedals, but the rims are from the 80's. The effect is off a classic or vintage bike, but it's really mostly new. The frame is new too, but could have been made many years ago.

I understand there is an analogy between classic cars and classic bikes, but it is weak. Cars have really changed pretty fundamentally, and they really have got better. It is difficult and expensive to maintain a vintage car, and relatively dangerous to drive one. In contrast, vintage bikes are cheaper, easier and cheaper to maintain, and functionally equivalent.

and then there's the engine. A strong rider on an old bike is still a strong rider.
Old 10-09-18, 06:00 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts

Is it that:

e) Something else?
Yes.

My own thing is kind of more of the letter "B" in your list.

I wasn't into bikes when I was a kid- I only took up bike riding as an aerobic activity so I wouldn't get fat after I quit smoking. It evolved into a bunch of other things. One of the things I was into was old guitars. I enjoyed being dorky about what made the guitars and amps that I liked "cool" to me. You know how the 66 and 67 GTO look really similar- but that tripower 389 is just so much cooler than a 4 barrel 400. Even if just because it is a tripower 389. And the wing windows. It's the same thing with bikes- the elegance of level top tubes, gracile frame tubes, and shiny components- maybe it's because I'm "that age" but those things on a bike look better to me than flat black bulbous carbon.

A new 6 cylinder Camry will outperform a 66 GTO in nearly ever metric possible- but it's not just about that.

There's bikes and parts that are rare or unique or for whatever reason they're "cool" to me, some are worth collectible prices, but it really comes down to what trips your trigger.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-09-18, 06:01 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Aesthetics. They appeal to me.

You can own the best of the best without mortgaging the house...it just happens to be 40 years old.

Satisfying to restore.

I like riding my bike.

My money wasn't disappearing fast enough between the drugs, alcohol, and houses of ill repute.
Old 10-09-18, 06:21 PM
bikemig 

All the bikes I thought were cool when I was in high school and college but couldn't afford are now on deep sale.
Old 10-09-18, 06:22 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I'm not the collector many here are, although if I had some extra space there would be a few more bikes around. But I ride vintage largely out of nostalgia. I didn't ride at all for many years and when I started again I wanted something I wouldn't have been able to afford as a kid. I'd been on a few newer bikes and really preferred the feel of downtube shifters. Maybe it was long ingrained muscle memory, but vintage rides just felt more comfortable to me. And I really prefer the style of older bikes. So even though I don't collect, I love to read this forum and covet the beautiful steeds owned by many correspondents.
Old 10-09-18, 06:31 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
for me its combination of things; i enjoy making something that was being neglected useful again. And i have never considered myself particularly mechanical but with old bikes the mechanics are straightforward enough that even i can figure them out (mostly). Finally when a bike fits and works right (and you made that happen) and your sailing down the road with the wind in your face that is a pretty good feeling.
+1.
Old 10-09-18, 06:52 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
It's just fun. Half of the fun, for me anyway, is tracking down that almost-unobtanium part that will cap a build and take it from good to great. The little details that most others (except for these forum denizens) won't even notice are worth the effort.

Rob and I rode with Steve (steelbikeguy) and a few others a couple of weeks ago to get a donut, and one of the guys was on a titanium something-or-other. I have no idea what group, wheels, tires, or anything else on that bike - just didn't notice. But we noticed Brian's Trek, Rob's Raleigh, my Lemond, Julian's paramount, and Steve's bike, but my memory failed on his - sorry Steve. Not intentional.

I have a modern carbon bike, but the components are being moved to a steel Fondriest. So my stable will soon be mostly steel (one C'dale ST), and the newest one is a 2001, the oldest one is a 1983. They're just fun.
Old 10-09-18, 07:23 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
If you have to ask, you won't get it.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 10-09-18, 07:34 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks!

I never appreciated the cost angle, but its a good point. Bicycles haven't changed that much so a great bike 30 years ago is still a great bike but just a lot cheaper.

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
If you have to ask, you won't get it.
Old 10-09-18, 07:42 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay

My money wasn't disappearing fast enough between the drugs, alcohol, and houses of ill repute.
I plead insanity, your honor. 😁
I was into bicycles up to around age 8, when my neighbor got a mini-bike. By 9, I had pestered the parents into getting me a good used one. 😎
Many years later, I lived in Seattle & Portland. It really is a whole nother culture out there, both of them. 😉 Then when I quit smoking, I really dove into bicycles. Mostly for a rider, and the learning along the way. 🙂
Old 10-09-18, 07:49 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Old bikes are fun.
New bikes are fun.
I can afford and ride both modern and vintage, 3 steel vintage, 1 aluminum, and 2 modern Carbon.
Don't over think it. 🤔

Last edited by Slightspeed; 10-09-18 at 07:52 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.