Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Imagining the evolution of discontinued product lines

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Imagining the evolution of discontinued product lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-18, 05:07 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
The Ironman was pretty much a train on / race on / century on bike. It was affordable, steel, and well balanced, with excellent quality across the spectrum of models. It was offered for 5 years.

The Ironman did not evolve with the times, but perhaps, if it did....it might be this:

Keeping the flame alive, Adam Eldridge of Stanridge speed decided to make a frame affordable, steel, and well balanced, with excellent quality across the spectrum of models. He's now in his 5th year, I think, with Wraith.
Old 10-16-18, 06:29 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
This is sort of like bike geek fan fiction. I like it.
more like steampunk alternative gruppos

Old 10-17-18, 06:11 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Delta disk brakes!
Old 10-17-18, 06:33 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Thank you!

The question is, of course: did I achieve the perfect vintage build? Well, on paper I came pretty close, I think (it all works as expected, i.e. perfectly) but with that perfection it also lacks the flaws and idiosyncrasies that give a bike character.
Give it time. Time heals all perfection.

Old 10-17-18, 08:30 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Give it time. Time heals all perfection.
There's that, of course.

Old 10-17-18, 08:42 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
In my view, MAFAC went out of business because they didn't update their products frequently enough. People want new stuff, and it's necessary to grab their attention. The trouble is, bike brakes were pretty much perfect already, so MAFAC didn't see the need.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-17-18, 08:46 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I wish for the continued evolution of the down tube shifter.

Shimano has its pretty and efficient 6sp to 10sp Dura Ace. Would be nice to see 11 and the inevitable 12.

Campagnolo failed miserably in regards to indexing, but Bike Forums ingenuity has it working with converted bar ends, at least for 10sp; 11 and 12 should be possible.

What say you, Shimano? Campagnolo?
Old 10-17-18, 09:15 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 281 Posts
I've wondered whether friction shifting would have persisted had Shimano perfected it's hyperglide cogs before they got into SIS. A 7s HG freewheel with Simplex or Doppler retrofriction DT shifters is pretty much unbeatable.
Old 10-17-18, 09:23 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Not C & V related, but,........

Since we already have some wireless electronics on the bike...and we evidently have disc brakes that require very little physical pressure needed,....

Why can't the shifters and brake levers be eliminated completely? Replace them with handlebars embedded with sensory pads or something similar. Maybe a thumb pad for braking and a couple of finger pads for shifting? Maybe a strip that runs the entire length of the bar that controls both? Maybe a "smart" handlebar. The technology is there. It will come in the future.

Last edited by seypat; 10-17-18 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 03:22 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
more like steampunk alternative gruppos
+1 to that. Those of us in the "classic and vintage" category often times are rabid collectors. I know I am. But we're often damn good bike riders. Being a bit iconoclastic in our choices makes it kind of fun to make these subtle parts substitutions . We're mechanically inclined enough to know what it takes to execute/implement the build we're setting out to implement. I'm from the birth place of the Wright Brothers and their bike shop! We're innovators, its in our blood. Steam-punk, YES! If I could use more brass parts, titanium parts, brushed unpainted, stainless, chrome plated - all that stuff tastefully done but functional. We've seen it done and note its absence today. So we set out to set the record straight.

I'm just waiting to set my next wheel build into motion using Winner hubs. Not SunTour Winner but Winner (manufacturing?) from California. These odd needle bearing, zero backlash hubs have an 8 speed Dura Ace Uniglide freehub body. They are very high quality. The few reviews of these that I have seen on-line, are negative. They says they can't handle riding in the rain and that the clever zero backlash roller bearing freehub "pawl-less" design isn't durable. Odd thing is - I still want to try it out for myself. I'd love to order some Araya Super Aero polished aero profile rims from Japan to put an exclamation point on the wheel build.
Old 10-17-18, 03:50 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by seypat
Not C & V related, but,........

Since we already some wireless electronics on the bike...and we evidently have disc brakes that require very little physical pressure needed,....

Why can't the shifters and brake levers be eliminated completely? Replace them with handlebars embedded with sensory pads or something similar. Maybe a thumb pad for braking and a couple of finger pads for shifting? Maybe a strip that runs the entire length of the bar that controls both? Maybe a "smart" handlebar. The technology is there. It will come in the future.
You are a sick puppy.

But you are my friend and probably right.
Old 10-17-18, 03:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@seypat, how are you imagining the brake actuation? We need to modulate the brakes, so are you imagining finger pressure will indicate the amount of braking needed?

We already have electronic shifting, so is your proposal to have it accessible over a greater area of the bar?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 10-17-18, 04:21 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
I've wondered whether friction shifting would have persisted had Shimano perfected it's hyperglide cogs before they got into SIS. A 7s HG freewheel with Simplex or Doppler retrofriction DT shifters is pretty much unbeatable.
I've wondered about that. I friction shift 9-speed, and it works fine. I also friction shift 11-speed on one bike. Again, no major issues (other than cable pull issues that I'm still dealing with).

In fact, in some senses, friction works better than indexed as one naturally selects the gear and adjusts as needed.
Old 10-17-18, 04:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I wish for the continued evolution of the down tube shifter.

Shimano has its pretty and efficient 6sp to 10sp Dura Ace. Would be nice to see 11 and the inevitable 12.

Campagnolo failed miserably in regards to indexing, but Bike Forums ingenuity has it working with converted bar ends, at least for 10sp; 11 and 12 should be possible.

What say you, Shimano? Campagnolo?
Microshift seems to be picking up the slack in a few places that Shimano is dropping the ball.

Perhaps it would be worth sending them a note.

As mentioned below, I have have vintage 9-speed shifters in use on one bike. It seems like just about anywhere I throw the lever, I'm in gear. I'm quite pleased with the ease of use.

I've been also experimenting 11s using bar end shifters (+ M8000 RD). I had some cable pull issues with my Suntour shifters. So, I have been using a right Shimano really springy shifter. It does reasonably well, except it uses the full range of motion, and is too springy on the high end, and not springy enough on the low end.

Anyway, friction will work with the 11s. The MTB derailleurs take a little extra cable pull which may be a good thing, but is hard for some of the vintage levers.
Old 10-17-18, 04:56 PM
seypat

You are a sick puppy.

But you are my friend and probably right.
I didn't say that would be positive for my riding experience. It would be a big negative for me. I'm just saying that is the direction the industry is going.
Old 10-17-18, 05:15 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by noglider
@seypat, how are you imagining the brake actuation? We need to modulate the brakes, so are you imagining finger pressure will indicate the amount of braking needed?

We already have electronic shifting, so is your proposal to have it accessible over a greater area of the bar?
Yes, as much as I hate to say it. I don't think it would take long to adjust/get used to it. Think about this. You get off you bike with hand brake levers and go for a ride in your car with foot brake levers, clutch and gas pedal. You never skip a beat. Then you get out of your car and hop onto your motorcycle. That vehicle has both foot/hand brake levers, a hand clutch and a hand twist gas throttle. The shifting between the 3 also is different. Yet people can do all with ease. I don't think it would take long to get used to it.

For me, it would eliminate a lot of the enjoyment from the riding experience. It would not be something I would use. But, I think the industry is moving in that direction.

Last edited by seypat; 10-18-18 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-17-18, 05:28 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
There are lots of electronic controls and generally engineers have found that people need to have movement and feedback. A gas pedal in a car (like the ones lately blamed for unintentional acceleration) has both a spring and a friction assembly so it resists movement, emulating cable friction and throttle return spring and whatever a throttle body does on the inside. The first generation of fly by wire aircraft had basically feedback free joysticks with only spring action, so the airplane’s surfaces moved in response to how far the stick was pulled. The second generation used strain gauges on the stalk to sense input load and didn’t move at all. The current fancy version has force feedback.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-17-18 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-18-18, 05:14 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

@seypat, how are you imagining the brake actuation?
Servo, and ABS, powered by the front wheel dyno?

The "fly by wire" of birds like the F16 is, of course, now "old," but there are joysticks out there that don't actually move, instead responding to pressure, like any laptop mouse pad. I supposed this could be made to work. But heck, if going that far, just program a helmet with heads-up display and use a power meter/cadence sensor/biometrics to set automatic shift points and speed/altitude sensors to modulate braking.

All customized per the rider. Solving Pat's climbing issues.

But wait, since it can be optimized for one rider, it can be predicted for others, and tactically programmed in real time. Which is about where they are now, with Bluetooth shifting controlled by a pad in the team car, based on what software has predicted other riders are capable of doing. A lot of riders simply ride and do what is told via their earpieces. Perhaps they'll just be asked to pedal, and be considered an engine on a bike, to be controlled like any RC car.

Teams have a lot of statistical data on what other riders can do, analyzed vs. the data on what their riders can do, and orchestrated in the team car.

And a chimp wins the TdF. Beating other chimps.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-18-18 at 05:27 AM.
Old 10-18-18, 05:23 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by seypat
For me, it would eliminate a lot of the enjoyment from the rising experience..
Hey, this is a family forum.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-18-18 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-18-18, 06:31 AM
seypat

Hey, this is a family forum.
Dang auto correct.
Old 10-18-18, 06:38 AM
seypat

Servo, and ABS, powered by the front wheel dyno?

The "fly by wire" of birds like the F16 is, of course, now "old," but there are joysticks out there that don't actually move, instead responding to pressure, like any laptop mouse pad. I supposed this could be made to work. But heck, if going that far, just program a helmet with heads-up display and use a power meter/cadence sensor/biometrics to set automatic shift points and speed/altitude sensors to modulate braking.

All customized per the rider. Solving Pat's climbing issues.

But wait, since it can be optimized for one rider, it can be predicted for others, and tactically programmed in real time. Which is about where they are now, with Bluetooth shifting controlled by a pad in the team car, based on what software has predicted other riders are capable of doing. A lot of riders simply ride and do what is told via their earpieces. Perhaps they'll just be asked to pedal, and be considered an engine on a bike, to be controlled like any RC car.

Teams have a lot of statistical data on what other riders can do, analyzed vs. the data on what their riders can do, and orchestrated in the team car.

And a chimp wins the TdF. Beating other chimps.
I forgot about ABS. That should be here soon. As for the rest of your quote, I sadly agree. Riders will become hamsters on a spinning wheel controlled by the team car. Or chimps as you say. Or rented mules, whatever beast of burden comes to mind. Maybe that "dancing chicken" at the traveling carnivals back in the day.

The only thing that will solve my climbing issues would be an E-bike.

Last edited by seypat; 10-18-18 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-18-18, 08:40 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

But braking requires modulation of pressure. It's not an on-off function.

Old 10-18-18, 09:08 AM
seypat

But braking requires modulation of pressure. It's not an on-off function.
Elecronic controls/functions are replacing mechanical functions in all kinds of areas. Medical, military, etc. etc. The video game industry now designs/tests a lot of Military applications. Driving a tank or flying a drone is just like playing a video game. Here is a somewhat humorous example.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/18/1...box-controller

https://medicalfuturist.com/the-tech...ure-of-surgery

Last edited by seypat; 10-18-18 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-18-18, 10:19 AM
seypat

Speaking of discontinued/dying product lines, my opinion is that the industry will move back to 3 rings in front/less cogs in the back eventually. If, if, electronic shifting becomes good/fast enough where the system/computer takes over the shifting of the FD, then I think we will see 3 or 4 ring cranks with 6-9 cogs in back. If the rider is not shifting the FD anymore, why do they care how many gears are in each place? If there is no weight penalty, that is no longer an important issue. The industry could go back to a rear spacing in the 115/120 range and have plenty of future room for disc guards/ABS, etc, etc. The current rear spacing issues are holding back frame evolution now.
Old 10-18-18, 11:02 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

CVT is now becoming fairly common for cars, after a lot of attempts, products, etc over the last 80 years.

Perhaps the synergy of all this technology, biometrics plus CVT, power meters, sensors, etc, will develop the automatic bike. You set your power/cadence, and ride. The bike shifts when it senses that changes need to happen.

I was once a guinea pig on a treadmill, in a human performance laboratory. After fairly controlled benchmarks were set (VO2), the computer was set to run me at 80% VO2 Max until I dropped. Not sure how that worked, but if I got into a groove, the computer both sped up and raised the treadmill, and if I had a problem, it lowered and slowed it down. It was perceptible, but hey, it was 1986. 30 years later, no doubt the same can be done with cycling, at a much more precise and consistent level.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.