Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Any specialized Sequoia owners?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-18, 09:07 PM
papaStrudel 

Bikes: '73 Motobecane Mirage, '94 GT Karakoram, '14 Surly Pugsley

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've googled but not found too many long term reviews of the 2018 // first impressions of the new 2019 spec. Anyone riding one? What do you think?
Old 11-02-18, 12:03 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
https://youtu.be/cUvJSMqsqsw
Old 11-02-18, 05:45 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
That's funny I'd just posted a similar thread and went to check if it'd had any replies and found your post immediately below mine asking about the same bike having never heard of it before yesterday.

The reviews I've found all highlight the weight of the bike with several people referring to it as a tank and I was concerned about a couple on the Specialized site about the wheel hubs and also rust

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/se...elite/p/129126

Be interesting to see what other comments come up
Old 11-02-18, 07:40 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Specialized Sequoia Elite costs $2400usd based on the pricing in England. It costs $2000usd based on the pricing in the US.

To me- neither is a good price. For $2000, and especially for $2400, I would want something besides a Specialized with generic no detail tubing and generic heavy wheels.

I get really irked with how Specialized advertises their steel tubing. Its just limited in detail and I naturally question why since steel is often now bought by people who geek on the specifics of a bike. It lacks a good bit of the appeal of steel, which is to know what type of tubing is used and the stats(butting profile, HT, air harden, etc).

Neat that it has really good gearing. 48/32 crank with 11-36 cassette is nice to see. Road gearing shouldn’t come stock on gravel bikes and its begrudgingly nice to see Specialized recognizes this.
Lame that it’s a no-name hub laced to no-name rims. At least lie and name em something in house like their terrible reputation brand Axis! <- joke about calling it Axis, serious about calling it something.
Neat that its thru axle.
Lame that it has plain gauge spokes at that price.
Neat that it has multiple bottle cage mount locations- 3 on frame and 2 on fork.
Lame that the frame isn’t advertised as having an electrophoretic deposition(ED) coating like so many other steel frames now have(less expensive ones at that).

Even though the frame isn’t ED coated, there is no reason to think it will rust after 1 ride or even after 1 year. That review has to be a defective frame finish.

Regardless, $2400usd would be too much for me to consider Specialized. Something else will for sure give me the same or more comfort with the same or better components for the same or less money. Maybe it would need to be built up, maybe bought and swap out things to make it right, maybe buying online- but any of those sound better and more fun.

Cough cough…All City Cosmic Stallion…cough
Thru axle, quality tubing, quality fork, not Specialized, and build exactly what you want(factoring new wheels into the price of that Sequoia for comparison).
Old 11-02-18, 10:08 AM
papaStrudel 

Bikes: '73 Motobecane Mirage, '94 GT Karakoram, '14 Surly Pugsley

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
That's funny I'd just posted a similar thread and went to check if it'd had any replies and found your post immediately below mine asking about the same bike having never heard of it before yesterday.

The reviews I've found all highlight the weight of the bike with several people referring to it as a tank and I was concerned about a couple on the Specialized site about the wheel hubs and also rust

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/se...elite/p/129126

Be interesting to see what other comments come up
Yes, I'm intrigued by the bike. Checks a lot of boxes!

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Specialized Sequoia Elite costs $2400usd based on the pricing in England. It costs $2000usd based on the pricing in the US.

To me- neither is a good price. For $2000, and especially for $2400, I would want something besides a Specialized with generic no detail tubing and generic heavy wheels.

I get really irked with how Specialized advertises their steel tubing. Its just limited in detail and I naturally question why since steel is often now bought by people who geek on the specifics of a bike. It lacks a good bit of the appeal of steel, which is to know what type of tubing is used and the stats(butting profile, HT, air harden, etc).

Neat that it has really good gearing. 48/32 crank with 11-36 cassette is nice to see. Road gearing shouldn’t come stock on gravel bikes and its begrudgingly nice to see Specialized recognizes this.
Lame that it’s a no-name hub laced to no-name rims. At least lie and name em something in house like their terrible reputation brand Axis! <- joke about calling it Axis, serious about calling it something.
Neat that its thru axle.
Lame that it has plain gauge spokes at that price.
Neat that it has multiple bottle cage mount locations- 3 on frame and 2 on fork.
Lame that the frame isn’t advertised as having an electrophoretic deposition(ED) coating like so many other steel frames now have(less expensive ones at that).

Even though the frame isn’t ED coated, there is no reason to think it will rust after 1 ride or even after 1 year. That review has to be a defective frame finish.

Regardless, $2400usd would be too much for me to consider Specialized. Something else will for sure give me the same or more comfort with the same or better components for the same or less money. Maybe it would need to be built up, maybe bought and swap out things to make it right, maybe buying online- but any of those sound better and more fun.

Cough cough…All City Cosmic Stallion…cough
Thru axle, quality tubing, quality fork, not Specialized, and build exactly what you want(factoring new wheels into the price of that Sequoia for comparison).
Yeah I had the same thought about their generic tubing as well. Have you ridden the bike? I've heard a lot about the wheels but the drivetrain spec on the new 2019 model seems pretty good. Of course, except the wheels.

​​​​​​​I've heard it's chunky but haven't heard many numbers, any idea on weight of the whole bike?
Old 11-02-18, 10:29 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
This isn't steel, but rather carbon, but has good wheels and a remarkable price for what you get:

https://www.rei.com/product/892430/c...es-ard-14-bike

It at least serves as a control for whether the Specialized pricing is realistic.
Old 11-02-18, 11:24 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by papaStrudel
I've heard it's chunky but haven't heard many numbers, any idea on weight of the whole bike?
If it's the 2018 model jut shy of 12kg I found in one of the reviews.
Old 11-02-18, 11:38 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by papaStrudel
Yeah I had the same thought about their generic tubing as well. Have you ridden the bike? I've heard a lot about the wheels but the drivetrain spec on the new 2019 model seems pretty good. Of course, except the wheels.

I've heard it's chunky but haven't heard many numbers, any idea on weight of the whole bike?
I have not ridden that bike.
I have ridden a couple modern steel specialized bikes and they felt fine- basically just like most anything else would feel over a few minute ride. The tires will affect ride feel more than anything else, really.
Its probably not going to break any weight records, but nobody buys an unknown spec steel frame with unbranded wheels in order to break weight records. it is what it is with weight. My gravel bike is still and weighs 25#. At my frame size, itll never weigh more than a few pounds less, so I let worrying about minor weight go.