Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Caught in the Pouring Rain!!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-19, 07:10 PM
Nikon Fan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Having lived in Florida so many years, I have always been extremely careful about not riding in the rain. Unfortunately, yesterday I got caught in what felt like a monsoon while I was 6 miles away from home!

I was soaked, my bike was soaked.

When I arrived home I quickly dried my bike and sprayed "Blaster Silicone Lubricant" on my gear set, chain, cassette, every nook and cranny excepr for the frame. Actually, on my chain I sprayed it with "Blaster Chain & Cable Lubricant" (can said it was designed for bike chains, and I was in panic mode).

Not sure if I caused more harm than good. Any other suggestions? Believe it or not, this is the first time I get caught in the rain!

The bike I was riding was a Fuji Tread 1.3, aluminium frame, carbon fork, disk breaks, magnesium platform pedals, a.r.s. Planet Bike saddle. Luckily the lights held up well as did the tiny sigma riding computer. This is the closest I have to a "gravel bike" (Vera Citywide 32-622 / 700x32 tires).

p.s. I have no plans on intentionally riding in heavy rain again, but if I'm unlucky enough to encounter it again (againis Florida, after all), what recommendations do you have?
Old 03-17-19, 07:50 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts

Waterproof cycling cap and you should be fine

Old 03-17-19, 09:02 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
If you got any of that on your brake discs, make sure to get it all off before your next ride.
Old 03-17-19, 09:08 PM
PickleRick

Bikes: Felt Z4, Trek Remedy 9.8, Pivot 429SL Di2, Salsa Warbird Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Yeah, other than the psychological and physical discomfort it causes (me) there is not much to worry about with a bike. No worries, just dry her down and lube her up after a soaking like that.
-- Electronics may be a worry. I did lose a CatEye Speedo years ago after getting caught in an almost biblical lightning storm, but the bike was fine.
Old 03-17-19, 09:08 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikon Fan
Having lived in Florida so many years, I have always been extremely careful about not riding in the rain. Unfortunately, yesterday I got caught in what felt like a monsoon while I was 6 miles away from home!

I was soaked, my bike was soaked.

When I arrived home I quickly dried my bike and sprayed "Blaster Silicone Lubricant" on my gear set, chain, cassette, every nook and cranny excepr for the frame. Actually, on my chain I sprayed it with "Blaster Chain & Cable Lubricant" (can said it was designed for bike chains, and I was in panic mode).

Not sure if I caused more harm than good. Any other suggestions? Believe it or not, this is the first time I get caught in the rain!

The bike I was riding was a Fuji Tread 1.3, aluminium frame, carbon fork, disk breaks, magnesium platform pedals, a.r.s. Planet Bike saddle. Luckily the lights held up well as did the tiny sigma riding computer. This is the closest I have to a "gravel bike" (Vera Citywide 32-622 / 700x32 tires).

p.s. I have no plans on intentionally riding in heavy rain again, but if I'm unlucky enough to encounter it again (againis Florida, after all), what recommendations do you have?
No need to freak out, bicycles can handle rain just fine. Lube the chain when you get home and let the bike air-dry in a warm environment.
Old 03-17-19, 09:21 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I hear you.

last week there were multiple showers, plenty of mud, even some hail.

The poor chain had actual rust on it when I got around to looking at it later.

Anyway, I recommend oiling the chain before the next ride.
Old 03-17-19, 09:27 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
No need for panic. If the bike was properly lubed prior the water probably wouldn't even bead up on your bike, Or on the discs or the chain. Frankly, it's not a lot different than driving your car in a down pour. No worries...
Old 03-18-19, 04:21 AM
Nikon Fan

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Feeling much better after reading all the feedback here!! Thanks!!
Old 03-18-19, 04:48 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Didn’t check your location, we may have hit the same one. I got it on mike 29-39. I generally avoid rain (yeah, I know I live in FL) as I totally detest it. Clean off the road muck, dry off, with a compressor preferably, and clean and lube well. I ride steel, so I use a little extra precaution.
Old 03-18-19, 05:19 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
All I do is take the air hose and blow the water off the chain and out of the rear derailleur. Nothing to panic about IMHO.

Then... I take off the leather saddle, run inside, dry it off and get it into a warm place for a bit.
Old 03-18-19, 05:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,535 Times in 7,328 Posts
Next up: Snow.

Old 03-18-19, 05:55 AM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

Bring soap! Riding in the rain is fun!
Old 03-18-19, 06:48 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Rain is a fact of life. There is no need to panic.

It isn't going to kill you or harm your bike. Relax.

Lube is only needed on the chain. Clean the rest off.

-Tim-
Old 03-18-19, 07:09 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
If you are prepared, it can be fun!

Old 03-18-19, 07:44 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Depending on your wheel/tire/tube set-up, you might want to take your tires off so your wheels can dry out. Moisture in the tire can cause corrosion on the tire/tube side of spoke nipples.
Old 03-18-19, 09:33 AM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Don’t forget to dry your shoes. Take out insoles and put newspaper in shoes overnight.
Old 03-18-19, 09:44 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
At least you don't have to deal with salt on the roads. That's one thing that will rust the bike far sooner than you expect. When I lived in the Midwest I always had a beater bike for winter riding. If you want something that really sucks, try riding a recumbent trike in the rain. You need beater clothes for that.
Old 03-18-19, 10:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Cell phones don't like rain, otherwise, it usually isn't a big deal.

I've gotten caught in a couple of big thunderstorms in places where I couldn't shelter to wait it out. Not a big fan of that, especially the wind and nearby lightning strike parts.
Old 03-18-19, 10:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I'd have to stay home most of the year .. I own a Cycling Rain Cape it keeps me dry..

IGH, well oiled chain, bike has Mudguards and dynamo hub - lights..

Old 03-18-19, 11:57 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I used to ride daily in Central Florida ... not sure how you managed to live there and completely avoid rain. I guess with readily available weather radar online, it can work.

Generally it is okay unless there is some strong wind pushing it ... then you need goggles. it doesn't hurt to have a plastic grocery bag to cover the seat if it is a type which absorbs water. I have heard that one should not use high pressure water (and I'd assume air) around bearings as it can blow some of the grease out of them. I guess the chain is okay because it is easy to re-lube, but be careful spraying solvents into the BB and wheel hubs and such.
Old 03-18-19, 12:26 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
If you are prepared, it can be fun!
Old 03-18-19, 08:57 PM
Nikon Fan

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
If you got any of that on your brake discs, make sure to get it all off before your next ride.

After the chain, the brake disks were the next part I aprayed with the silicone spray! Trying to prevent them from rusting up. Bad idea?
Old 03-18-19, 08:58 PM
Nikon Fan

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I flipped the bike upside down after washing it (to paint the frame)..and quite alot of water poured out of the hole on the frame tube.

So now I always let it sit overnight flipped over, after riding in the rain.

Good call! I'll probably do the same!
Old 03-18-19, 09:07 PM
General Geoff

After the chain, the brake disks were the next part I aprayed with the silicone spray! Trying to prevent them from rusting up. Bad idea?
Yes. Lubricating your brake rotors will drastically reduce the brakes' effectiveness.

Bicycle brake rotors tend to be made of stainless steel which resists corrosion. They might start to rust over if you leave them outside unridden for months, but the first few heavy brake applications will scrub off any surface rust that gets on them.

Buy a can of brake cleaner from your local auto parts store and give them a thorough spraying. I suggest taking the wheels off the bike before doing this because the brake cleaner will dissolve most greases and lubricants that you have on other parts of the bike.
Old 03-18-19, 09:08 PM
General Geoff

Good call! I'll probably do the same!
Most frames have a drain hole under the bottom bracket shell, specifically to let any accumulated water drip out when the bike is upright.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.