Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best Earbuds

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-19, 08:56 AM
Chipbyrd 

Bikes: Giant Anyroad 1, Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Best Earbuds

I am looking for a recommendation for earbuds. Sound quality is important, as is connectivity, battery life, and durability. I want them for longer rides (3+ hours). I am willing to spend up to $300. Please let me know if there is a model you have found to be quite good. (I don’t want to come off snarky, but I am not really interested in debating whether cyclists should wear them.)

Thanks,
Chip
Old 04-03-19, 09:18 AM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Chipbyrd
I am looking for a recommendation for earbuds. Sound quality is important, as is connectivity, battery life, and durability. I want them for longer rides (3+ hours). I am willing to spend up to $300. Please let me know if there is a model you have found to be quite good. (I don’t want to come off snarky, but I am not really interested in debating whether cyclists should wear them.)

Thanks,
Chip
I am switched over to the Bose Soundsport wireless. They were like 150.00 a couple of years ago but now might be a little cheaper. The sound quality is great to me. I've had, JBL, Klipsh, Beats and some basic earbuds before the Bose. To "me", the Bose sound the best. They stay in too and are comfortable, again to me. Your mileage may differ. I know they have non-wired buds now too, but I like these ones because if they do happen to fall out, you will not lose them since I wrap the wire around my helmet strap. Plus, the non-wired ones would be easier to lose since they are akin to a hearing aid and you have to keep track of 2 buds instead of one item. Plus with the Soundsport you have the ability to remove one and just put it down the front of the jersey if you need to hear things around you better. I would not use the non-wired ones which are the Soundsport Free I believe.

Never had a problem with pairing to my phone and if need be I can answer the phone while riding although I never do, but they cut in with the ringer when I get a call. Not very often but it has happened a couple of times. If the call is from my wife, and my phone ID's her, then I just pull over and see what is going on since she knows I am riding and I can't really answer.

I use Poweramp for my music player (google play store, 5 buc app, well worth it) and the Bose will pause and move forward or backward in my playlist plus of course turn up and down the volume.

No real issues going on 3 years of using the Bose. I have no problem with 3 hour rides either. Not sure how long they will actually last, but on my century rides I don't use them cause I am riding in a pack and that is dangerous enough. Out on the road in east cupcake, it is nice to be able to listen to some music.

Just my 2 cents.

john
Old 04-03-19, 10:28 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,563 Times in 7,333 Posts
Old 04-03-19, 10:38 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
In before this one spins outta control....

Bose. Could end the thread there but I also use this Amazon cheapie called Mpow. Single ear use, leaving the other open for ambient sounds and the little thing sounds great and refuses to die.

-Kedosto
Old 04-03-19, 12:08 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Chipbyrd
[LEFT]I am looking for a recommendation for earbuds. Sound quality is important, as is connectivity, battery life, and durability.
The potential for high quality sound reproduction of expensive ear buds will be overwhelmed by the wind noise when worn while riding on a bicycle. I find that inexpensive wired ear buds (no battery necessary) from Amazon work just fine for listening to either music or audiobooks played back from an mp3 player while riding my bicycle.
Old 04-03-19, 12:15 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts

Might as well do it right

Old 04-03-19, 05:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
I prefer over the ear to actual buds because they stay in place better for longer(ever).
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Headpho...a-568804069870

these probably aren't ice enough for you, but they last hours and hours and are clear enough for me to hear music and spoken word. That's pretty much my standard though.
Old 04-03-19, 06:19 PM
Chipbyrd 

Bikes: Giant Anyroad 1, Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the input, guys.
Old 04-03-19, 07:57 PM
TheRef

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Bone conduction headphones - Got them for xmas and Love it so far. Doesn't block your ears and let you hear everything around you.
Not as good as a Bose or similar priced earbuds but it has the advantage of allowing you to hear around you.

Old 04-03-19, 07:59 PM
TheRef

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Review
Old 04-03-19, 09:07 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've had the anker pair from Walmart for almost a year they are around 50 bucks last about 6 hours on full power ...
Old 04-03-19, 09:18 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
After trying perhaps half a dozen BT options, I went back to my tried-and-true wired Klipsch S4 earbuds (long discontinued,) plugged into a TaoTronics BT receiver. I just run the wire inside the jersey, and the BT receiver is in my lefthand jersey pocket. Battery life is 40+ hours, and the earbuds themselves are comfortable for hours and hours. I never managed to find a BT pair that would last even 6 hours, or make it through the length of a full ride without dropping out several times.

Oh, and whatever earbud you pick, make sure Comply makes a foam tip for them. I don't and won't use anything else. For stopping wind noise, nothing is better.