Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Have you ever see one fail like this?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Have you ever see one fail like this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19, 01:20 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
First, I hope she's getting better. To those guessing it was the reflector, why would there be two on the same wheel?
Old 06-06-19, 02:03 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
You don't use carbon forks because somebody broke an aluminum fork on the internet?

This thread is like the tin foil hat club.
It can be said in other words - I don't use forks that aren't steel.
Old 06-06-19, 02:24 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
wow, she was lucky, or maybe not. how fast was she going? what might she have surgery on? my Wife crashed her bike into a bollard last July 4th breaking her wrist. when that healed she then also needed carpal tunnel release surgery

when I ws a kid trying to ride thru a pile of leaves on my stingray the front wheel planted & I went over the bars, but luckily landed in the leaves so I was OK. cpl years ago I got spoked riding the edge. that trashed the fender & derailer & maybe 1 spoke? the bike just skidded to a stop. here's one of my favorite biking pics. (never found the stick)

maybe I didn't break a spoke just net one? I mushed everything back into place to ride in just one gear
Old 06-07-19, 12:57 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Just one.

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
First, I hope she's getting better. To those guessing it was the reflector, why would there be two on the same wheel?
I asked, and there was only a single reflector, so that's ruled out.
Old 06-07-19, 02:46 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Would a squirrel really cause that much damage? I know the reflector thing is a joke (did anyone mention the valve cap yet?) but wouldn't a squishy squirrel just get folded in half by the spokes and get sucked into the fork between the blades?
Old 06-07-19, 03:08 PM
Berg417448
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
Would a squirrel really cause that much damage? I know the reflector thing is a joke (did anyone mention the valve cap yet?) but wouldn't a squishy squirrel just get folded in half by the spokes and get sucked into the fork between the blades?
https://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7...Squirrel_3.jpg
Likes For Berg417448:
Old 06-08-19, 10:44 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
Wicked cool.
Old 06-08-19, 12:57 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone
if you look really close you will also see that a few spokes got torn too. a reflector would at most break one spoke then i would shatter. I'm guessing a stick or steel squirrel got in there.

Its obviously not one of those classic "JRA" incidents where everything just exploded for no reason at all.
Old 06-08-19, 12:59 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
I'm telling ya those squirrels are no joke!

Likes For carlos danger:
Old 06-09-19, 08:08 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
The string of blown out spokes, buckle visible on the backside of the fork and the angle of the tear from upper/forward to lower/aft indicate that something was jammed in the wheel as she rode.
While she could have kicked up a stick or other debris, brakes and crown would have gone straight into the wheels upon fork failure.
Old 06-09-19, 08:59 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
While she could have kicked up a stick or other debris, brakes and crown would have gone straight into the wheels upon fork failure.
If the fork fails and brakes and crown go straight in to the wheel... then what? The wheel is completely free to move on its own at that point - it doesn't have the kind of mass and inertia to break a half dozen spokes when unmoored; something jammed in the spokes would just kick the wheel in to another direction.

Last edited by WhyFi; 06-09-19 at 09:03 PM.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-09-19, 10:52 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If the fork fails and brakes and crown go straight in to the wheel... then what? The wheel is completely free to move on its own at that point - it doesn't have the kind of mass and inertia to break a half dozen spokes when unmoored; something jammed in the spokes would just kick the wheel in to another direction.
I think I agree with you.

It takes a lot of force to sheer those spokes off and the wheel was rotating in direction of travel when it happened. If you look at the spoke the reflector is connected to, it is bent in significantly -- whatever broke the other spokes hit the end of the reflector.

Whatever the case, not much consolation for the person hurt and if they had no chance to see anything, there's nothing they reasonably could have done to prevent it.
Old 06-09-19, 11:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Come on, now. Occam's Razor the situation.
Great name for a brake rotor.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-09-19, 11:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I once had a bird fly into my front wheel, get spun around and spat out the other side, apparently unharmed. Probably had a great story to tell his buddies.

I'm still betting on something like a wire stake for lightweight signs made of posterboard or gatorboard. I saw two of those damned things in the bike lane Sunday, in different areas. Guy riding ahead of me struck it and flipped it up, but just missed my wheel. I rode around the second one and called out to the riders behind me. Those wire stakes are a menace, and practically invisible until you're on top of them. That's also why I removed the old style SKS Bluemel fenders from my hybrid until I get breakaway mounts. Another reason to avoid sticking slavishly to "bike lanes" -- they're mostly kill zones.
Old 06-10-19, 12:14 PM
felt15

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was riding an organized ride in nc and a rider had a trek front fork failure. He died at the hospital from internal injuries. My understanding is that he didn't hit anything. Saw a State trooper carrying the bike and the forks broke at the top just like the pic.
Old 06-10-19, 12:23 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by felt15
Was riding an organized ride in nc and a rider had a trek front fork failure. He died at the hospital from internal injuries. My understanding is that he didn't hit anything. Saw a State trooper carrying the bike and the forks broke at the top just like the pic.
So Treks are trying to (and apparently succeeding) in killing people. Got it.
Likes For autonomy:
Old 06-10-19, 01:42 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Ekkk!! I have hit twice some wire in the road near by but only heard it didn't see it at all. Think I will pick it up today. I have hit a stick and had it get caught up in my fender, popping one out of the snap. Didn't know how close I got... Yikes. Poor squirrel.
Old 06-10-19, 03:24 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
At what stage is the enormous-damages lawsuit?
Old 06-10-19, 03:31 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Saw a State trooper carrying the bike and the forks broke at the top just like the pic.
So they had something get kicked up in to their wheel, too?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-10-19, 03:48 PM
felt15

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know about lawsuits. I didn't know the guy and didn't see the wreck. There was storm debris in the road from a previous nights storm but people said he didn't hit anything.
Old 06-10-19, 04:18 PM
amaroo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cable ties

Those broken cable ties make me wonder if a computer sensor was attached to the right hand fork, and it became jammed in the spokes.
Old 06-10-19, 04:27 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I once had a bird fly into my front wheel, get spun around and spat out the other side, apparently unharmed. Probably had a great story to tell his buddies.
A bird flew into my face once while I was riding after dark once, the day I bought my Cervelo.
Old 06-10-19, 06:49 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 309 Posts
OP: Close examination of the fracture surface will determine if the failure was rapid yield (wheel impacted something) or slow fatigue failure (possible design deficiency), or initiated by a fatigue crack followed by catastrophic failure. The examination can also tell which side that failure initiated on.

The blown spokes could be an indication of failure mode, foreign object jammed in the spokes, but not necessarily. One side of the fork could have fractured first, then folding laterally onto that side and the remaining stubs of the fork crown or the lower fork could have jammed in the spokes. Close examination of the spokes, and most especially, if the fork tubes show any signs of impact, will give the answer. I cannot tell from here whether the slight distortion in the fork blade below the fracture is due to an impact, or localized buckling under bending stress, the latter of which might indicate a frontal impact and then fracture initiation on the side opposite the compression buckle.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 06-10-19, 08:26 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Wish I could un-see post 1.
Old 06-10-19, 08:37 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
Squirrels are squishy, true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.