Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which bike to set up to ride in winter?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-19, 06:12 PM
Jeff of Vt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I've got a 29er hardtail and a rugged drop-bar bike. Both sporting disc brakes. The 29er has the typical tire clearances and front suspension. The drop-bar bike can easily clear 32mm wide tires(35mm is pushing it in the rear though the front can likely take 40s). The 29er is pretty typical of its class. The drop-bar bike is the oddball. The disc brakes, wheelset, and drop bars are all aftermarket. This is why the rear tire is slightly offset to the one side and can't take as wide of a tire as the front.

I'm torn between which one I should give the winter treatment, studded tires and full fenders. The LBS recommended the hardtail as components are cheaper and easier to replace and the lower pressure tires won't hurt. I can see the advantage of either.

I plan to ride mostly marginally maintained village and rural roads. I guess it comes down to studded tires in either the 700x32mm format or 29x2-ish. Does one really outshine the other on snowy/icy roads? I'm also wondering if full fenders on the hardtail will hold up on the trails come spring time. I can keep them from getting directly hit but I'm not sure if the hardware can take the frequent jarring of trail use.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-29-19, 06:18 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I'd fix the dish in your rear wheel and use the drop bar bike. Adjusting dish in a wheel is pretty quick, just do a quarter turn on all the spokes on one side and a quarter turn the opposite way on the other side until the wheel is centered. I have a 60km round trip commute so need a fairly aero position which is tougher on a MTB.
Old 09-29-19, 06:44 PM
Jeff of Vt

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Are you saying that I can correct the offset by dishing the wheel(or do I have these terms conflated)? Does that weaken the wheel at all? I'm not entirely sure how this works. The chainstays are tight at the front so it wouldn't buy more than the ability to go up to 35mm with a rear fender installed which would still be of benefit.
Old 09-30-19, 03:37 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I would go with the 29'er, they offer a lot more possibilities than a skinny tired drop bar road bike. Bigger tires run a lower pressures will roll a lot better and give you better control on poorly maintained rural roads, plus with a 29'er you can ride off road trails which you couldn't do with a road bike.
Old 09-30-19, 04:57 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff of Vt
Are you saying that I can correct the offset by dishing the wheel(or do I have these terms conflated)? Does that weaken the wheel at all? I'm not entirely sure how this works. The chainstays are tight at the front so it wouldn't buy more than the ability to go up to 35mm with a rear fender installed which would still be of benefit.
Yes you can move the position of the rim relative to the hub. It shouldn’t weaken the wheel. Spoke tension is usually different on each side in the rear because of the cassette. They make a dishing tool but I’ve just done it while the wheel is mounted on the bike. If you’re not comfortable a shop could do it for you.

How far far is your commute?
Old 09-30-19, 08:39 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
for riding paved roads I'd prefer narrow. lets the tire dig down to the hard stuff better. I think you can find 32mm studded tires. they may not have as many studs but it could be just enough to keep you from going down
Old 09-30-19, 07:40 PM
Jeff of Vt

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm not commuting. My job makes bike commuting impossible. This is for exercise and enjoyment. I probably will need to have that wheel dished properly. It does annoy me a bit. It will still be a tight fit but should have enough clearance for something like the Crud Roadracer Mk3(the fenders I'm considering for that bike).

I've heard the narrower 30s-40s mm tires dig down well but I have no experience with that. Is there really a big advantage between either choice? I take it that the colder weather, rougher roads, and studded tires will render the better top end of the drop bar bike moot.

Fender choices are more limited for a trail rig(I don't really want to buy and fit different fenders for different seasons). I see there are trail fenders for the front that are extended and provide nearly the same coverage as "full" on the front but the rears only go as far down as the seatstays and extend rearward. Would this still keep the majority of the road muck out of the drivetrain?
Old 10-01-19, 09:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
hmmm ..., your questions are personal choices. I've equipped a roomy hybrid for the winter, for commuting & joy rides on the road. I leave my road bike as-is & only ride it if the roads are dry & clear of ice. didn't ride it much last winter, mostly cuz I had a new-to-me MTB that I was riding thru the winter off road

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-01-19 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-01-19, 09:52 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
The 29er will be more fun in snow, and as your shop pointed out, its components are cheaper. Winter beats on a bike. Road fenders on a bike with tight tire clearance is also going to be frustrating. Slush and ice will collect. If you rely on studs, your tire choices are worse. And mountain tires will be way better anytime the snow is deep, hardpacked, actually mud, etc. It sounds like your shop gave you good advice. They saw your bikes and know the area. Trust them.