Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter is right around the corner.

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 10-03-19, 07:02 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts

The arm warmers have been on for a month now, and the leg warmers have made a couple visits already. Winter is just a hop skip and jump away, and I'm can't wait to go play in the snow.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 10-04-19, 09:12 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
I'm hearing rumors about frost tonight. Too soon!
Old 10-04-19, 04:38 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Bring it on....I am looking forward to it.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-04-19, 06:15 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I'm looking forward to playing in the snow.
Old 10-04-19, 06:15 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Originally Posted by TriBiker19
I'm hearing rumors about frost tonight. Too soon!
Going to be cold this weekend.
Old 10-04-19, 06:44 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Alabama hit 102°F today! Winter? If that's winter, bring it on! I'm going water skiing.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 10-04-19, 08:19 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
It snowed a foot in Calgary a week ago. Am not happy
Likes For Buglady:
Old 10-07-19, 02:32 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Dude, you're Looney Tunes! but I mean that in the best way possible. this is the kind of thing ppl think of but never execute. well done! you've been saving this one! thinking it's time to bring the palm plants in

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-07-19 at 02:35 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-07-19, 07:23 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'm going to miss winter this year...just a little bit

I did bring a pair of lightly studded tires down to North Carolina - it will be priceless to see the looks if there is actually snow or ice
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 10-08-19, 04:23 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Winter is right around the corner
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
The arm warmers have been on for a month now, and the leg warmers have made a couple visits already. Winter is just a hop skip and jump away, and I'm can't wait to go play in the snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM9e-ISp6Ik
Originally Posted by wolfchild
On several threads, I have posted my slogan for winter riding, “Gear and Gumption,” obviously mostly clothing. For me, it takes a while to make the transition between warm and cold and vice versa.
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Seems like every year when the temperatures drops I have to rethink about what I did the previous year that worked for that particular temperature.

So this year I'm putting together a chart for myself as a guide forwhat to wear for the range of temperatures in 5*C increments. Hopefully it'll take some of the thinking out of the whole production.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
The way I organize my winter dress is by levels (link), 1 to 6. (I got that scale from whitewater rafting, where difficulty of a river is rated from 1 to 6, and it works for me). The levels do not mean layers, but the combination of gear for temperature intervals, in increments of about 10 degrees F…

The level makes the job of selecting clothing very easy for that decision to be made on the morning of a commute, without going outside. Sometimes I may bring along a piece of apparel from a higher level just in case.

The scheme is particularly useful at the change of seasons to remind me of what works. Also, I choose by ambient temperature and usually ignore the reported wind chill temp, because there always is a wind chill on the moving bike.

I’ve shown this scheme to a few acquaintances at work, and when they ask “How (cold) was the ride?,” I can reply, for example “Level 3,” as happened just this morning.
As for the bicycle, the definitive transition to winter is mounting the studded tires, early in December, and removal signals winter is over, usually in late March.

PS: And I transition entirely to the beater bike with the studded tires until a late winter storm thoroughly rinses off the road salt; then I bring out the pristine carbon fiber road bike.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-14-19 at 12:34 PM. Reason: added PS
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 10-08-19, 09:13 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I did bring a pair of lightly studded tires down to North Carolina - it will be priceless to see the looks if there is actually snow or ice
I remember walking into Chapel Hill through 8" of fresh snow to try to get my brother a good calculator on closeout at the bookstore. (Missed my chance, I was #23 for about 8 calculators that were on sale.)

I also remember waiting for a bus after another snow. An idiot in a car slid to a stop at a traffic light, then spent 2-3 minutes trying to start again. He eventually gunned it, spun his tires until they melted down through the ice and hit pavement, giving him enough momentum to get rolling.

Drivers here aren't any better. My winter slogan is, "When we're playing bumper cars, I want 3,000 pounds on my side."
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-11-19, 01:37 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I can deal with the near freezing cold we've had all this month, but not in addition to the 40 to 60 km/h wind nearly every day. It is just plain miserable to ride in. 3 years in a row the fall weather has been 10C below normal, maybe its the new normal. Half the farmers crops are stuck out in the fields again due to record intermittent rain. Usually the wind is all blown out by October making for cool but pleasant riding.
Old 10-14-19, 11:01 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
I haven't let the cold temps stop me yet. I'm in Wisconsin and the last three nights have been pretty cold. I think last night it was in the high 30's when I went but it was colder the other night because it was a lot windier on the 11th. Last night there wasn't much wind. I'm right off Lake Michigan but the wind has been from the west lately.

I just bundle up and it's no big deal. But I'm only going around 2 miles for some mild exercise. Nothing like what some of you probably do. I don't plan on stopping, although I'm not really sure what I'm going to do once the roads get icy or snowy. I'm not sure I have the right tires for it or not.

I'll say this, it's been windier than normal and my legs are getting more of a workout the last few nights.

If you guys have any tips on tires, I'm all ears. My main two bikes are a chinese Schwinn cruiser with the stock tires and I also ride a mid 90's schwinn mountain bike that I put more like street tires on it. I actually feel like the cruiser tires are better when I go over gravel. They make the bike feel more stable. I think it's cuz they don't have much of a curve to them and the mountain bike tires I have on there are a lot more rounded.

Here's a pic from the night of the 12th (last pic).

Old 10-15-19, 05:16 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Yep. Got to get the wood in before snow falls. We've got 40F here at the moment. I've had to actually wear clothes. I'm usually a T-shirt guy, but long sleeves are de rigueur for the time being. I've been working on the lighting in my shop, but after that gets done, I'll start a build thread here. I want to build a bike suitable for rain and cold weather/winter.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 10-23-19, 04:53 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Originally Posted by NoControl
Yep. Got to get the wood in before snow falls. We've got 40F here at the moment. I've had to actually wear clothes. I'm usually a T-shirt guy, but long sleeves are de rigueur for the time being. I've been working on the lighting in my shop, but after that gets done, I'll start a build thread here. I want to build a bike suitable for rain and cold weather/winter.
Hey NoControl if you don't mind me asking but where in NH do you live. I believe you had mentioned in a different thread you have been on the bike path in Winchendon.
Old 10-23-19, 05:33 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Hey NoControl if you don't mind me asking but where in NH do you live. I believe you had mentioned in a different thread you have been on the bike path in Winchendon.
I think I started a post in the Northeast riding forum about the Winch/Gardner trail.

Today was almost 60 degrees. Quite lovely.
Old 10-23-19, 06:15 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

I'm in the Contoocook Valley Region.
Old 10-23-19, 06:32 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Drivers here aren't any better. My winter slogan is, "When we're playing bumper cars, I want 3,000 pounds on my side."
You would think Michigan drivers would be more than acquainted with winter driving conditions. Nope! First decent snow results a bumper car tournament. They seem to have short memories.
Old 10-24-19, 08:46 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
You would think Michigan drivers would be more than acquainted with winter driving conditions. Nope! First decent snow results a bumper car tournament. They seem to have short memories.
You must be from a different part of Michigan.

Every few years, when we have snow or ice, this area shuts down for a half a day or a day to let it all melt. Then for the rest of the week, everybody from up north regales us with stories from there. There's a fleet of snow plows in every hamlet waiting to catch every snowflake. Drivers from up there know how to handle snow and ice. Everyone puts on snow tires before the first snow. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Funny thing is that, despite how much better things are north of here, hardly anyone wants to move back there. Even though there's not many of us riding bikes through the "winter," the fact that we can seems attractive to a lot of people.
Old 10-24-19, 02:51 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The weather says we are suppose to have freezing temps and snow on the 31st. But then it sounds like the middle of November before it goes freezing again. I think I'll hold off on the studded tires a little longer.
Likes For baldilocks:
Old 10-24-19, 03:00 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

It got up to 64F here with some sunshine today, but I've had such a wicked cold. My throat feels like its on fire after a short ride not to mention the copious flow of snot to deal with.

Working on a winter build though! I'll start a build thread soon.
Old 10-28-19, 11:09 PM
gecho

Seems like winter is here, but will it stay. Cold enough for the 5-6 cm of snow we got to not melt. I didn't get out today because 40 km/h wind plus active snow makes for a miserable ride, what with snow immediately melting on contact with face causing rapid cooling. A brief warm up for a few days later in the week before getting colder, probably not enough to melt what we got.
Likes For gecho:
Old 10-29-19, 10:58 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

I actually love this time of year. Last night my bike ride was 45 degrees and no wind. Crisp and cool and really enjoyable. The other night it was about the same temp and raining and that was actually invigorating. I prefer this over really hot. Although in the summer when I'd wait until late it usually wasn't overly hot.
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 11-02-19, 11:45 AM
3S1M

I did figure something out last night, I think I'll either put my fenders back on or just ride my wifes bike in the wet. It leave less of a mess on my jacket that I wear for riding. Which I also wear for normal stuff too. LOL.
Old 11-02-19, 04:39 PM
gecho

We had a few warm days in a row which left crusty ice in the alleys and shaded side streets this morning. That stuff is plenty of fun on a studded fat bike, the studs have plenty to grab onto so I can ride as hard as I want to. Reminded me of my end of season rides when everything is melting but sets up overnight. Some fresh snow / rain tonight and tomorrow, then some cold days, warms days, then back to cold.

I've held off putting the studded tires on my other bikes, but I think the ice is here to stay.
Likes For gecho:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.