Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

German Bicycles?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

German Bicycles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-07, 09:34 PM
Radfahrer
California über Alles!!

Bikes: Steve Rex City Bike, Steve Rex Road Bike, Giant Rincon Grocery-Getter, Raleigh Superbe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winora
Old 07-28-07, 10:07 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 323 Posts
Originally Posted by texsunvdub
I have a Heidemann Werke bike from the early 60's that was bought from a VW dealership. It's a folding bike that will fit under the hood of a Beetle

if anybody is interested i am open to offers. I sold my beetle so i don't display it anymore
djeaudio@hotmail.com
That's pretty cool! We used to have a VW car show that would come to town each year up in CT. Tons of beetles were there, but none with a bike like that. It looks like a great idea too- fits right in a little spot in your car so you can drive and then deploy it as you need it. Two forms of transportation in one is convenient for sure.

I own a VW Golf and dig old VWs and Porsches for sure. I do wish I had a Beetle to tinker with sometimes.
Old 07-29-07, 10:19 PM
ahorner1946

Bikes: Raleigh, Schwinn, Sterling, Bianchi, Specialized and RANS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool looking folder. I had a '63 VW Bug, It was a delight to drive, and it got lots of attention. The VW Shows were tons of fun! The folding bike would have looked great in the display, but would also been fun to ride around the show!!! ! I sold my bug about 4 years ago. Sometimes I would like to have it back!

I have a Raleigh Twenty, it is a fun bike to ride around on! Maybe it could use some company! I sent you an email!

Al
Old 07-29-07, 10:50 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did a search on ebay for german bicycle, and there are lots of german bicycle army troops in WW1 and WW2. Maybe those collectors have all the bikes!

Old 07-31-07, 05:07 PM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
My aunt had a Fischer. I don't know if they still manufacture bikes or not. But when I used to ride bike about 17 years ago, the MTB's were in full fashion.
But bikes were really more used for commuting and running erands than for leasure.
Old 02-01-09, 04:00 PM
zacharyneal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i own an old kokhof super sport from 60's-70's
i have tried researching this bicycle but god help me i cant find out anything about this bike, it's a great bike, i little on the heavy side but it rides great. twelve speed with a simplex de-railer.
Old 02-01-09, 04:45 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Corrotec Hydro-Carbon, top end road bike. Bought the frame cheaply on e-bay about four years ago, then visited Germany that summer and found a bike shop in Essen and another in Leipzig that were stuffed with new ones! Really nice ride, but not yet C&V (or steel!, but I need to ride a plastic or ally bike every now and again to remind me how good steel really feels!) It's snowing outside so I'll see if I have a photo on this computer....
Old 02-01-09, 04:52 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

These are all I could find, mine's the frame on the right - now built up with full Campag, sorry no up to date or drive side photos - rides well, especially up hills.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CopyofCorratec.jpg (20.6 KB, 260 views)
Copyof6a_1_b.jpg (20.3 KB, 263 views)
Old 02-01-09, 05:26 PM
Mickey
Steel is a dream

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
East germanys "Diamant" is not equal to belgian Diamant!

Link to german bicycles today:
https://www.bike-fitline.com/fahrradh...eutschland.htm

Link to old and new Companys

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrradhersteller
Old 02-01-09, 05:59 PM
was?

Bikes: motta pista, merckx 753, snel columbus max, gazelle champion mondial aa-frame frisol team colours

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there were and are some rather small german bicycle builders like leto, rickert, kotter, schmidt sport, hami short for hans mittendorf, wechsel, stollenwerk, hertel, pyttel, krabo, gesta, technobull, lüders, hans lutz, nöll, norwid, herkelmann, jaeckel, enik, bauer, altinger, patria, rufa-sport, lauer, buschkamp, gudereit....
and there were some rather big manufacturers like schauff, corratec, kettler, kalkhoff....
but neither of those were very prominent, although some of those mentioned made very good frames...
Old 02-01-09, 06:50 PM
EatMyA**

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anybody tell me more about this bike? I saw it on craigslist, the owner claimed it was a German brand named otto klein.

Old 02-01-09, 06:54 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I've got the humble remains of a "Jaguar" 10 speed in the basement. Not really fancy. Kinda looks like it was made by robots from Yugoslavia. it had plastic simplex deraillers and cottered cranks. When I tried to flip it on CL I got one of those nasty "RE:your stupid Jaguar is a piece of crap" postings (what provokes people to do that?). He then included a link to a really obscure site that told all about how bad they were (He must have spent some time looking). The best reply I could come up with was "what do you care, it's got horizontal dropouts".

BTW, it's up for grabs.
Old 02-01-09, 08:27 PM
no*dice
best friends

Bikes: Albuch Kotter Scapin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...the germans

Hi,
I have a "Albuch Kotter" they use to sell frames from Romani /Pistrada under her label. Albuch Kotter started as "Kotter" only and before that they run under "Kondor". I used to ride as well an "Enik" bicycle, this company offered low-end & high-end road cycles last one known as "S4". My is a low end "karstadtstyle" r.i.p.
As well I know steel manufactors "Polrad" (hyperlink lead you to a list, just scroll down you will find nice german vintage steel bikes) & "Büchner" "Lüders" in Berlin
"Scheral" & "Altinger" in Munich
"Bushkamp" "Jaekel" in Bielefeld
"PYTTEL" ! in Raststatt
"Walter" in Offenburg
"Marshall Framework" in Möhnsee
"Hanz Lutz"
"Köthke"
"Mifa"
"Bauer"
"Stölpel"
"Agresti" in Rodgau
"Paupitz"
"RUFA - Rudolf Faust"
"Nöll"
"Rickert"
"Lindemeier"
"Wechsel"

"Mittendorf"
"Krautscheit Krabo" in Bochum
"Gesta"
"Rixie"
"Rabeneick"
"Lauer" in Altenkirchen
"Patria"
"Generator Radsport"...

Greetz
Attached Images
00 front.jpg (102.9 KB, 253 views)

Last edited by no*dice; 02-02-09 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-01-09, 08:49 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Staiger is apparently an old line German brand. I have seen one older single speed Staiger in the window of a closed store in Mansfield, OH back around 2000. At the time I would have guessed it to be from the early 60's based on the style. I have a relatively new one that is a trekking bike from around 2003.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-01-09, 10:07 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
I had a Rickert track bike back in the 70's. Very nice construction. Wish I still had it.

Also had a Rixie with fenders and lighting. Sold that one to my neighbor at a garage sale we had a few years ago. I think I might see if he still has it and try to buy it back. Never seen him ride it.
Old 02-01-09, 11:24 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I see German bikes show up periodically on Craigslist, but they're usually more the Dutch-bicycle type, single speed, etc. One thing that works against them is that they're uncommon here, so people assume they're "rare" and want more money for them, even if they're common as dirt in Germany.

My dad was in Germany from 1952-1964 or so. He rode a single speed. I forget the brand, but he said at the time he bought it, used, the local company that made it was already out of business.
Old 02-02-09, 06:18 AM
no*dice
best friends

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StephenH
I see German bikes show up periodically on Craigslist, but they're usually more the Dutch-bicycle type, single speed, etc. One thing that works against them is that they're uncommon here, so people assume they're "rare" and want more money for them, even if they're common as dirt in Germany.

My dad was in Germany from 1952-1964 or so. He rode a single speed. I forget the brand, but he said at the time he bought it, used, the local company that made it was already out of business.

yeah but its not that simple...just cause they are german road cycles they are not common as dirt here. For christ sake! A customer is a customer is a customer wh*re.
So, by the time germans where on a hype about road cycling they preferred foreign cycles (italian mostly, sure). The market here was dominatet by italian/french stalion. Most hand crafted german frames are rare and where high price even then. Most people choose the foreign trademarks then the german for no objektive reason. Guess it was different if we talk about 30-50's. They where just some big companies around which had the ability to produce or let produce frames for the big market.
German frame builder supported strong teams and so on but they had no chance to get a sureplus in the common peoples mind like italian brands did. That was one reason for some companies give road frames a italian touch by the name, just like Brügelman did with "Barelli" or Radsport "Lenzen" ---> "Lenzini". In the fifties has "Grunow" produced frames by the name "Pagelli"

So that an old Rickert is pricy is not because that not many make it abroad it's because they are rare even here.

Common greetz!

Last edited by no*dice; 02-04-09 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-02-09, 01:15 PM
javal

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gudereit made road bikes with classic features and decent gruppos. Perhaps they´re still around.
Old 02-02-09, 01:55 PM
no*dice
best friends

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.gudereit.de/ see for yourself...This is whats left of the bigger german bike producers which where known to produce decent steel road/track cycles...Oh Kotter is closed since ~2000 but actually it was a romani

Last edited by no*dice; 02-02-09 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-02-09, 01:59 PM
72fuji

Bikes: fuji finest, klien pinacle

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
My uncle talked about bicycles many years ago...to him there is no such thing as a German cycle.
All the German bicycles were imported from Holland (he still lives in Haarlem and think WWII) and yes he was joking

Cheers
Tony
Old 02-02-09, 02:08 PM
no*dice
best friends

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
by the way does "faggin" sounds strange in some sense to you englisch motherlanguage americans or native tongues ?

Last edited by no*dice; 02-02-09 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-02-09, 03:12 PM
no*dice
best friends

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sure about the BMW? Cause those things where mostly produced for advertisment where expensive and you wont find lots of people riding those brands. Its sort of a gimmick for yuppies like the porsche cycles and other car related crap of this time...

greetz
Old 02-02-09, 04:02 PM
Oldpeddaller

Originally Posted by no*dice
sure about the BMW? Cause those things where mostly produced for advertisment where expensive and you wont find lots of people riding those brands. Its sort of a gimmick for yuppies like the porsche cycles and other car related crap of this time...

greetz
Maybe, but that demountable rear triangle is a really neat touch!
Old 02-02-09, 04:11 PM
Mickey
Steel is a dream

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BMW didn`t produce that low-budget bike, it is a Montague.
https://www.montagueco.com/
Old 02-02-09, 06:14 PM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
after the Montague, BMW actually used their own development resources for bicycles. There was a MTB-line with a front suspension based on their motorcycle design

and a racing bike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.