Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Orlando Florida biking

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 03:37 PM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Orlando Florida biking

I am going to be in Orlando Florida in early April on vacation. I am debating on whether or not to bring my bike for the trip.

Is there good bking roads/trails from this location? 5015 tideview circle orlando florida
Old 03-04-10, 07:31 PM
AtlBentRider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The General Van Fleet trail is the closest trail to Orlando. A little further away (60ish mlles) is the Withlacoochee trail and the Suncoast Trail. All are over 35 miles long. Better to bring your bike and not need it than not to bring it and need it.
Old 03-04-10, 08:35 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The West Orange Trail (Appopka to Winter Garden then to Kilarney) is closer than the Van Fleet. You can ride it to west of Claremont (Lake Mineola) and then you have some good biking roads with some hills tossed in for good measure. The Florida Free Wheelers have some good maps on their web site. Bring your bike it will be well worth the trouble. The Withlacoochee is IMHO the best trail in FL. Seminole Co has some nice trails in the 10 to 15 mile length and if you link them together you can get a nice 35 to 50 mile ride. If I can assist with any other questions please ask.
Enjoy your trip.
Old 03-04-10, 08:55 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Touch base with CommuteOrlando. They can probably recommend some good stuff.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-08-10, 12:38 PM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are some good bike trail. I think the best is the West Orange Trail which extends from just north of Apopka to Clermont. The Seminole Wekiva Trail is OK. I have not ridden the Cady Way Trail. There is also the Cross Seminole Trail.

The Florida Freewheelers web site has a number of maps. There are several ride starting points. Lake Mills Park has basically 2 routes to ride and both are good. There are a number of rides that start in Mount Dora and they are good. There are several that start at the old end of the West Orange Trail. Some start in Clermont, a few start in Groveland and some start in Deland.

Some of my favorites are Ramerez Romp to Seville (there is no barber in seville and no dentist either). The Ya La Ha Bakery ride is good. For old Florida the Boogie in the Boondocks is good or any of the rides starting in Groveland. You could look at the map for the Horrible Hundred and do the 70 mile option. That ride runs you up and down central Florida's "alpine" region. The Thrill Hill Ride is good.

You could also print out the maps. Many of the rides kind of overlap so you can combine or mix and match.

I did not see any of the rides south of town. We used to do a metric that started in Poinciana and that was interesting. We rode "Spook Hill" and through Lake Wales, which is a pretty little town.

The ride around Lake Monroe is pretty too or at least part of it is.
Old 03-15-10, 09:29 AM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like there is a trail called the Shingle Creek Trail that I will ride on while I am in Orlando. I want to avoid driving to do any bike riding.
Old 03-15-10, 11:25 AM
Porter20

Bikes: Trek Madone 6.9; Madone 5.1; Trek 6500 & Trek 1500

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joe_5700
It looks like there is a trail called the Shingle Creek Trail that I will ride on while I am in Orlando. I want to avoid driving to do any bike riding.
Enjoy it! I hope you are bringing a mountain bike though. Shingle Creek the last I heard was a dirt / mulched paths (nature trails). Also, be careful riding down International Drive - it is a MAJOR tourist road with heavy traffic of typically lost patrons who's eyes are on everything but the road.
Old 03-30-10, 03:26 PM
BlackAce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll bump this.

West Orange Trail from Apopka-Vineland to Kilarney is prob my favorite stretch right here in Orlando. It's 14 miles one way, but you can continue on into Lake County on the Kilarney side (bring your legs for the hills once you cross the county line), or continue on the West Orange towards Apopka for another 10+ miles or so. This takes you through a rougher part of town in some places if you choose to head that way, so be aware of that.

I just did Cross Seminole on Sunday and enjoyed it, particularly once you get further out of town. Lots of cool bridges, including a big suspension one over Interstate 4.

I also enjoy the one that starts in Altamonte Springs, San Sebastian Trailhead and heads north, eventually connecting up with the Cross Seminole using the aforementioned suspension bridge. You could link these together for about 30 continuous miles, more if you are willing to hunt for the trail connection points a bit.

Now's a great time to be here, the weather is fantastic for biking. If you want more specifics on the trails mentioned above, just reply or PM me. Happy to provide input, factual or opinionated. :-)