Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Vintage Electric

Old 07-07-14, 08:32 PM
vintage4cmo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vintage Electric

Hello,

I am part of a business camp and I would like some feedback on how to improve the Vintage Electric bike charger. My goal is to completely recreate the charger and I would like some ideas on how to make the charger portable, lightweight, under $250, and very efficient.

E-Tracker

Thanks,
Old 07-07-14, 09:00 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Moved from Classic & Vintage.
Old 07-08-14, 06:04 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vintage4cmo
...I would like some ideas on how to make the charger portable, lightweight, under $250, and very efficient.

E-Tracker

Thanks,
If I understand your question correctly, this well beyond the scope of this forum. Designing electronic circuits that convert wall socket voltages (120/240AC) to a DC voltage/current required to charge batteries requires very specific skills limited to a niche electronic engineer called "Power Supply Designer". These type of electronic circuits are not for the naive or uninitiated, incorrect design can be lethal. To that end, any electronic circuit designed for this application must be UL compliant (in the USA) so that it is certified not to be life threatening.

Having said all of that, $250 retail pricing is a very aggressive target for the power level required for reasonable battery charging time. As a first pass, I would take a look at an off-the-shelf solution from an Asian internet vender just to see what kind of ball park you're in wrt pricing.