Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Restoring a 1986 Raleigh 753

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Restoring a 1986 Raleigh 753

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-16, 01:57 PM
jafa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I certainly approve. I'm not active here or I would have said something before.

It's good that it will be used now. It's just too bad I didn't experience a late-life growth spurt of an inch or so that would have allowed me to keep it.

To correct the travel, it's actually been this

Ilkeston -> Aberdeen, Scotland -> California > Mendoza, Argentina > Aberdeen, Scotland > Denver > Houston > Dallas -> Germany

I bought it from a store at 458-464 George Street, in Aberdeen.

I never thought about asking them to fix it. That would have been worth trying. I ordered it when living in Aberdeen, then got transferred to California. I didn't see it until it got shipped with my furniture. I did take it back to Aberdeen with me, but that was years later and the shop had changed owners.

Last edited by jafa; 08-05-16 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 08-05-16, 02:00 PM
realsteel

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
1986 Raleigh 753

Hope you enjoyed the build.

RealSteel.
Old 08-05-16, 02:04 PM
realsteel

Originally Posted by jafa
I certainly approve. I'm not active here or I would have said something before.

It's good that it will be used now. It's just too bad I didn't experience a late-life growth spurt of an inch or so that would have allowed me to keep it.
Nice to hear from you. I'll take good care of your frame. J.
Old 08-05-16, 02:04 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 559 Posts
That's spectacular! Kudos on a fantastic job. The blue bits really tie in together nicely. Your execution, attention to detail, and extra touches are inspiring.
Old 08-05-16, 02:08 PM
SkUNkay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job! Loved the whole process you documented along with beautiful pictures. Would read through again!
Old 08-05-16, 02:12 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Great looking bike.
Old 08-05-16, 02:24 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Yes!

Ride pics next?
Old 08-05-16, 02:31 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
So much pretty bluuuuuuueee.
Old 08-05-16, 02:33 PM
jafa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by realsteel
Nice to hear from you. I'll take good care of your frame. J.
The color combination was chosen by me. I had a Descente ski suit that I liked in similar colors and had the bike painted accordingly.

If you want the suit to keep the set together, I can probably find it and send it over.
Old 08-05-16, 02:46 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 3,383 Times in 1,584 Posts
wonderfully done!
Old 08-05-16, 03:19 PM
realsteel

Originally Posted by gaucho777
That's spectacular! Kudos on a fantastic job. The blue bits really tie in together nicely. Your execution, attention to detail, and extra touches are inspiring.
Thanks!
Old 08-05-16, 03:24 PM
realsteel

Originally Posted by SkUNkay
Great job! Loved the whole process you documented along with beautiful pictures. Would read through again!
Thanks very much. Documenting each step is very useful for me too because I still make lots of mistakes, which are invariably spotted by the forum members.

The trick to getting a good picture is to use subdued lighting and long exposure times (up to ten seconds depending on the time of day).
Old 08-05-16, 03:25 PM
realsteel

Originally Posted by Michael Angelo
Great looking bike.
Thanks! I think the colors worked out quite well...
Old 08-05-16, 03:26 PM
realsteel

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Yes!

Ride pics next?
Count on it!
Old 08-05-16, 03:27 PM
realsteel

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
So much pretty bluuuuuuueee.
Old 08-05-16, 03:28 PM
realsteel

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
wonderfully done!
Thanks! I appreciate that.
Old 08-05-16, 03:39 PM
realsteel

The color combination was chosen by me. I had a Descente ski suit that I liked in similar colors and had the bike painted accordingly.

If you want the suit to keep the set together, I can probably find it and send it over.
I meant to say that it was a fine color combination and also fairly understated, which I like. You must have spent a fortune on the bike in 1986: Reynolds 753 + SBDU + first-generation C-Record. Did you carry on biking after the mishap? One thing puzzled me: why did you order an Edco Competition headset when everything else was C-Record?

Thanks for the offer of the suit! Are you still in the US? I lived in Scotland for several years but that was before I got hooked on bikes...

To correct the travel, it's actually been this

Ilkeston -> Aberdeen, Scotland -> California > Mendoza, Argentina > Aberdeen, Scotland > Denver > Houston > Dallas -> Germany
Thanks for the correction: that's amazing. We can also add Amsterdam to the list:

Amsterdam -> Ilkeston -> Aberdeen, Scotland -> California > Mendoza, Argentina > Aberdeen, Scotland > Denver > Houston > Dallas -> Germany

... assuming it was built by Jan Legrand.
Old 08-05-16, 03:39 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
That's a great look and color combo. I would have had a hard time not adding more blue anodized due to my love of old BMX stuff, but you did a great job not making it overwhelming. Pics are beautiful and in person it must be quite a sight.
Old 08-05-16, 03:51 PM
jafa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by realsteel
I meant to say that it was a fine color combination and also fairly understated, which I like. You must have spent a fortune on the bike in 1986: Reynolds 753 + SBDU + first-generation C-Record. Did you carry on biking after the mishap? One thing puzzled me: why did you order an Edco Competition headset when everything else was C-Record?

Thanks for the offer of the suit! Are you still in the US? I lived in Scotland for several years but that was before I got hooked on bikes...

Thanks for the correction: that's amazing. We can also add Amsterdam to the list:

Amsterdam -> Ilkeston -> Aberdeen, Scotland -> California > Mendoza, Argentina > Aberdeen, Scotland > Denver > Houston > Dallas -> Germany

... assuming it was built by Jan Legrand.
The bike shop stuffed me on a few components. It was all supposed to be C-Record. They substituted the shift levers and headset, which I never noticed until you mentioned it. Their explanation on the levers was that the C-Record levers looked good, but didn't work well, so they put on something that was more functional. Same could be true for the headset.

I read somewhere that the bottom bracket stamping was rider's initials, frame number, year. So the JL is either Jan Legrand or John Ladd. You probably have it right, but I prefer my version.

It's a long time ago, but I don't think that I paid much more than 1200 pounds for the complete bike. The exchange rate was great for me then, so it was something like $1400. I'd always wanted a 753 from when the US team road them - the orange and blue/black paint. When I found out the price, I couldn't resist.
Old 08-05-16, 06:52 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Absolutely beautiful, Realsteel, this one turned out fantastic. It looks like it is fresh from the custom builder's shop.

Thank you for the kind words, I truly appreciate them, and your putting up with my PMs as well. I continue to learn from all of your posts.

About the titanium spindle for the SR bottom bracket, I'd tend to think that Campagnolo had to take what titanium they could get from the Soviets, at that period in time. As said, it was a straight titanium being used then, perhaps they had in inside at Lockheed's Skunk Works shop, with Kelly Johnson, and could get a special allotment through the shell corporation the CIA set up to purchase titanium from the Soviets, to build an airplane that was used to ferret out may of their secrets. Now, we get the well developed alloys, with the aluminum and vanadium components, that make some fantastic frames.

Jafa, please come around more often, anyone that played that big a part in this beautiful frameset would be a great member here, I feel certain. Nice that you popped in to share with us about the history of Realsteel's newest beauty.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 08-05-16 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-05-16, 06:52 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 526 Posts
When you look at the overall bike it looks very good but when you get into the details it really shines. Nice job.
Old 08-05-16, 07:32 PM
Ed.

Bikes: 1938 Raleigh Record Ace (2), 1938 Schwinn Paramount, 1961 Torpado, 1964? Frejus, 1980 Raleigh 753 Team Pro, Moulton, other stuff...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
NICE!!!! I've a few projects that could do with your touch!
Old 08-21-16, 11:25 AM
realsteel

The bike shop stuffed me on a few components. It was all supposed to be C-Record. They substituted the shift levers and headset, which I never noticed until you mentioned it. Their explanation on the levers was that the C-Record levers looked good, but didn't work well, so they put on something that was more functional. Same could be true for the headset.

I read somewhere that the bottom bracket stamping was rider's initials, frame number, year. So the JL is either Jan Legrand or John Ladd. You probably have it right, but I prefer my version.

It's a long time ago, but I don't think that I paid much more than 1200 pounds for the complete bike. The exchange rate was great for me then, so it was something like $1400. I'd always wanted a 753 from when the US team road them - the orange and blue/black paint. When I found out the price, I couldn't resist.
That certainly complicates identification of the builder!

Aberdeen, Dallas, etc.? I think I can guess your profession.
Old 08-21-16, 11:42 AM
realsteel

Zero'th ride

I took the bike out for a test ride and found that the shifting was fairly poor: it kept auto-shifting, particularly in the middle gears. I checked for the usual suspects like a stiff link but all was well; also the chain was new and the freewheel was in mint condition. Then I remembered that the frame was involved in an accident which had impacted the derailleur:

... so I bought an affordable derailleur straightening tool:

... which indicated that the derailleur had indeed been bent:

This was soon straightened out: it's a bit nerve-racking doing this, but eventually I got it to within a couple of millimeters at the rim. After this, the shifting was improved but still not perfect: I may invest in a 7.1 mm chain which should stop the skipping entirely.
Old 08-21-16, 11:48 AM
realsteel

First ride

At last I took the bike into the country, with an Italian and American as companions:

Here's the Raleigh parked in front of an old church:

... and then on to some rough country tracks:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.