Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sew-Up Lump...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sew-Up Lump...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-16, 05:41 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
yes, and people bicycle without helmets and hold up the fact they've survived thus far.
just the wrong head injury at 12 mph will kill you

there is a memorial on one of our greenways where a police officer hit a tree

answer to the valve stem click is a pair of o-rings

Last edited by bulldog1935; 09-09-16 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-09-16, 05:49 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by bulldog1935
I'll give you guys a couple of old links

Technical FAQ: Gluing tubular tires for cyclocross | VeloNews.com

How To Glue Cyclocross Tubulars

could have been the same mechanic that sold you the Vittoria Rally tire?

if you guys want to explore the question, google tubular tire roll off

https://kuktl.dept.ku.edu/bicycle/Part9.pdf

Life Saving Tubular Advice - Wheel Fanatyk

if you want to replace glue with tape, knock your lights out
For me, I use tape because it really simplifies rolling and finally seating the tire - and there's a sense of satisfaction when you pull the tape liner.
but it doesn't replace glue

No one is suggesting these wheels be used for CYCLO-CROSS. That is a specialty purpose, where tape is generally not recommended. The extremely low PSI coupled with wide tires used in cyclo-cross changes the equation substantially. -

I doubt using both actually increases adhesion. It just puts even more flexible sticky stuff between the tire and metal rim, to adding rolling resistance and possibly allowing the tire to move around more under certain conditions. I would be very interested to find out what either tape or glue manufacturers would say about the practice. Use one or the other, according to directions, and seat properly.

After riding a few km , that bump flattens out, in my experience. I would certainly not grind the rim to accommodate it.

Beautiful stuff Randy.
Best regards, Eric
Old 09-09-16, 06:03 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts

could have been the same mechanic who sold you the Vittoria Rally tire?

For me, I use tape because it really simplifies rolling and finally seating the tire - and there's a sense of satisfaction when you pull the tape liner.
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Would you mind elaborating on the glue plus tape method? This the first I've heard of this. I am new to riding tubulars as of last year. I glued a set of Continental Sprinter Gatorskins and taped a set of Schwalbe Ones. Both seem to be "sticking" well. In all my pre-reading I never ran across this recommendation. I'd appreciate your insight.
Bulldog, thanks for joining the forum and contributing to the great C&V discussions. We always enjoy a new contributor and the insights he/she can bring to our quest for helpful and informative knowledge. However, being snarky (i.e. "if you want to replace glue with tape, knock your lights out"), especially twice in the same thread, is not our style.

I asked a question and others were also curious about your reference to "tape and glue". We are hoping you might explain why you take this approach, i.e. taught this by Obi Wan Kan obi bike mechanic, real life experience, revelation from the bike spirit, etc.

So again, I ask for a real explanation as to why you take this approach? I truly am curious about why YOU glue and tape road tubular tires. Since the discussion in the thread is about road tubular tires on C&V bikes and not about cyclocross tires, track racing, the professional peloton, or even about amateur road races, let me encourage you to stay on topic.

You have our attention. We are curious to hear what you have to say. We don't need another snarky comment. Thanks for understanding and embracing the kind and encouraging tone of this sub forum!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 09-09-16, 06:03 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
you're welcome, but it's not snark, and I didn't ask for this discussion - I was called out by several, and assumed your call out was not snark, either
I may have learned differently

they measured roll-off forces which should address doubt

I've been well over 40 mph on my tubular tires and I'm going to stick with this

I was followed by a p/u truck for over 4 mi of twisty descent this day because I was exceeding the speed limit for that distance
(he passed me when I was climbing the next creek divide)

the bell, btw stopped a charging buck in his path, which was also going to be my path (@ 40mph)

I'm not going to give up any safe edge for convenience or weight
God bless.

ps - a buddy laughed at me on the trail one day for ringing my bell at a squirrel. Squirrels are the most dangerous animals on the road, because they change their mind and direction 5 times, can't see your spokes and try to run through your front wheel.

Last edited by bulldog1935; 09-10-16 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-09-16, 06:20 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts

could have been the same mechanic that sold you the Vittoria Rally tire?

No one is suggesting these wheels be used for CYCLO-CROSS. That is a specialty purpose, where tape is generally not recommended. The extremely low PSI coupled with wide tires used in cyclo-cross changes the equation substantially. -

I doubt using both actually increases adhesion. It just puts even more flexible sticky stuff between the tire and metal rim, to adding rolling resistance on the road and possibly allowing the tire to move around more under certain conditions (ie. long hot descents, where rims can heat substantially). I would be very interested to find out what either tape or glue manufacturers would say about the practice. Use one or the other, according to directions, and seat properly.

After riding a few km , that bump flattens out, in my experience. I would certainly not grind the rim to accommodate it.

Beautiful stuff Randy.
Best regards, Eric

PS. Having now read the 2 how-to links, I will say that perhaps in cyclo-cross this helps, although I am still sceptical. And Zinn specifies "Belgian tape" described as specifically designed for 'cross. Otherwise this strikes me as "an old wives tale" type of practice. Some old wives tales have a sound basis for them. Some do not. One thing about 'cross, rim temperatures are MUCH LOWER, and maybe the additional glue bedding MIGHT reduce the possibility imperfect adhesion (for whatever reason). In hot or warm temperatures the extra glop could even have the opposite effect...

Last edited by Last ride 76; 09-09-16 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-09-16, 06:32 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
knock your lights out very simply means do it your way
Old 09-09-16, 06:35 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I always thought it was "knock yourself out"

...but I'm no expert.
Old 09-09-16, 06:36 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
one of those quotes from an old friend that sticks with you, certainly colloquial

Last edited by bulldog1935; 09-09-16 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-09-16, 07:28 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Heck, if you're going to work with two different adhesives, for that much work, might as well just switch to clinchers.

Oh and Randy, I hear you on missing the funny feeling you get from using the whole glue pot.
Old 09-09-16, 07:39 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The glue absorbed by the fabric casing makes the fabric casing tougher - it becomes a composite.
It's also stuck better at the edge of the rim, where roll-off begins, and forms a stress-riser without glue.
As I said earlier, tape simplifies rolling on a glued tire.
The only work is stripping the rim for the next tire, but tape also makes this process easier

(you might notice here seating the tire moves the glue to where you really need it)
V.

there was an old Rally on this donated rim - I rode the thing, once

Last edited by bulldog1935; 09-09-16 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-09-16, 07:44 AM
busdriver1959

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
The glue absorbed by the fabric casing makes the fabric casing tougher - it becomes a composite.
The only work is stripping the rim for the next tire, but tape also makes this process easier

I've been riding tubulars since 1976. I've never ever stripped the old glue from the rim. I don't see how it could hurt adhesion and I believe it provides a nice bed for the new glue. Other than to be fussy about it, why would you want to get rid of the old glue?
Old 09-09-16, 08:04 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
you get rid of dirt, pieces of fabric and old tape, but using solvent, you never quite get rid of the old mastic, as much as spread it out fresh (and clean)

I work with an electron microscope, and keep the spent lint-free cloths from the lab for this (and certainly other uses).

Last edited by bulldog1935; 09-09-16 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-09-16, 08:28 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I keep getting called out and do my best to answer - I even tried avoiding it, so as not to change the thread topic
glue is better than tape, and glue + tape has advantages over both, and there is no trouble to be a disadvantage

if you haven't tried it, it's really cool when you roll the tire to final position and pull the protective film that seats the tire.

(and if you count the number of "I's in you post, it kind of disagrees with your thesis)

Last edited by bulldog1935; 09-09-16 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-09-16, 08:54 AM
busdriver1959

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Bulldog- I really don't think you're being called out. Your point of view on using glue and tape is new to most of us and simply generates questions.
It's just discussion. I asked about stripping the glue because I've heard of it being done but I've never figured out why. This seemed like a good time to ask along with giving my view of things.
Old 09-09-16, 10:28 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
(and if you count the number of "I's in you post, it kind of disagrees with your thesis)
You got the somewhat tongue-in-cheek point then.

One can only state what one has experience in. Or an opinion on. There's facts. And there's opinions.
They rarely coincide, I've found. And they're antithetical to one another of course.
What is an issue, for me at least, on this forum, is when opinions are posited as facts.
There are very few hard and fast facts in this world of vintage bicycles. But some.

And when declarations are made as if cast in stone, on something that is clearly open to subjectivity,
and then backed up by dropping the "old wise man" card, such as "I've been doing this for over forty years.",
just as an example, it comes off, to me, as unseemly and as if the person is trying to prove his credentials and authority on the subject. I've been guilty of doing it. Which is usually a mistake on my part as I am, truly, not an expert.

Maybe you are. I don't know. You seem like a very knowledgable guy. Yet, there are many guys here who have been riding and messing with "racing" bicycles since the 60's or seventies. Some of them share their knowledge generously, but don't feel the need to bludgeon others over the head with it by repeatedly stating opinions as facts simply because it is something learned from long experience. Which can be valuable, for sure, depending on how it is presented.

But there can be a lot of ego and one-upsmanship infused into it sometimes. And I'm not just talking about you personally here. It happens on this forum. But not as much, thankfully, as on some other boards.

We all want to show our prowess and our knowledge sometimes, gained over years of experience. Much of it was hard won. I believe it's just a matter of how it is put forth as to how well it is received.

Which reminds me ... Moses and I were riding along the other day , and I dropped him like a bad habit as he was using tape and I was on glue....but that's another story.
Old 09-09-16, 10:35 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I couldn't find the smilies - there they are

they don't do the cool one here - I like the sunglasses B)

again guys, I was trying to dodge it to not derail the thread, but I like the way it works and feel confident with it - especially leaning hard with 80 psi in my P-R tubie and my hair on fire. Honestly, I was surprised no one ponied up to say they do the same, because I know others do.

give Moses a break, he's almost as old as we are
I'm glad there's room for everybody's points of view and experience on any topic, but usually good to not make them about others.
Regards

ps, most often carry a spare when I'm on the tubulars, and it, too, is glued - one last glue application from a tube (actually the solvent) will soften the already applied glue to make it fresh. Though I've never had a roadside bad enough that I couldn't solve it with Stan's, and Stan's repairs have always lasted me as long as the tire tread.
That's another thing about a Rally - you can't remove the valve core to make it easy to use Stan's.

Last edited by bulldog1935; 09-09-16 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-09-16, 10:47 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
Well this thread has derailled quite a bit.

1. I glue because gluing is an art and I enjoy being good at it and doing it makes me feel vintage. When I have to take off one of my own tires I'm always satisfied at how hard it is to remove - I'll put my glue job up against anybody's tape job in the safety department.

2. The only time I take off old glue is if I got some used rims from someone else. Once I think it was tape residue and really hard to get off - usually a wire wheel on my drill handles it nicely.

3. I can't speak to lumpy tires, because I only buy the good stuff.

Old 09-09-16, 11:16 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
I haven't worn suspenders for at least 60 years. Never had a belt break.
But, if it did break, you still have the suspenders. That is point bulldog1935 is making, I believe. And I see his, or her, point. Glue will, likely improve adhesion unless the glue reacts poorly with the adhesive on the tape. And the tape makes it easier to install the tire, or so it sounds.

As I said, I agree but I will take a chance with my lights, and hope that it does not darken my day, one day. Anyway...

My Torpado is ready for tire tape and test riding...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TB_Full_Side_1.jpg (102.1 KB, 39 views)
TB_Full_Side_L_1.jpg (102.2 KB, 40 views)
TB_Brake_F_1.jpg (96.6 KB, 39 views)
TB_Brake_L_1.jpg (93.8 KB, 40 views)
TB_Cogs_1.jpg (98.4 KB, 40 views)
TB_Decal_DT_1.jpg (98.4 KB, 39 views)
TB_Derailleur_R_1.jpg (98.3 KB, 39 views)
TB_Crank_1.jpg (104.4 KB, 39 views)
TB_Drive_3.jpg (103.1 KB, 40 views)
TB_Lug_ST_23_Serial_1.jpg (96.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 09-09-16, 11:42 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
thanks for the photos - it's really fine.
Old 09-09-16, 12:00 PM
cyclotoine

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I couldn't find the smilies - there they are

they don't do the cool one here - I like the sunglasses B)

again guys, I was trying to dodge it to not derail the thread, but I like the way it works and feel confident with it - especially leaning hard with 80 psi in my P-R tubie and my hair on fire. Honestly, I was surprised no one ponied up to say they do the same, because I know others do.

give Moses a break, he's almost as old as we are
I'm glad there's room for everybody's points of view and experience on any topic, but usually good to not make them about others.
Regards

ps, most often carry a spare when I'm on the tubulars, and it, too, is glued - one last glue application from a tube (actually the solvent) will soften the already applied glue to make it fresh. Though I've never had a roadside bad enough that I couldn't solve it with Stan's, and Stan's repairs have always lasted me as long as the tire tread.
That's another thing about a Rally - you can't remove the valve core to make it easy to use Stan's.

Do you put stans in from the get go or only after you get a puncture? How much do you typically use in a tubular?
Old 09-09-16, 12:15 PM
Ed.

Bikes: 1938 Raleigh Record Ace (2), 1938 Schwinn Paramount, 1961 Torpado, 1964? Frejus, 1980 Raleigh 753 Team Pro, Moulton, other stuff...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Again, more interesting information. Anyway...

Today is finish off the Torpado, bar tape and all. I installed decals yesterday and today, I will hook all the cables up and tape the tires to the rims. I will follow up with pictures of my Torpado, a bike that has caused me to think a lot about what I seek from vintage bicycles...

Nothing like an old Torpado photo to set my heart a-flutter

I don't claim to be any sort of expert. My sew-up history goes back to only 1967, that's almost 50 years. (Of course that's 350 dog-years...) Anyway, I learned about sew-ups from my Father, who was riding them pre WWII.

I dunno, can we add his [then] 30 years experience to my 50 years? Does experience add up that way? It probably adds up in some complicated mathematical way using Scientific notation. Then, of course, there was our parallel years of experience... Hopefully Jim Muller can enlighten us.

Speaking of Jim, it's good to see Pastor Bob - I was getting ready to harass you in a personal manner as you seemed to be missing. Well, that's settled.

Now, getting back to the second part of this thread, I've never, ever used, or even contemplated the use, of rim tape. If rim tape had any positive attributes I know my Father would have told me. That he was never, ever, heard to even mutter "rim tape", in conjunction with "sew-ups" tells me all I need to know. (Yes, with regard to clinchers, he pointed out the importance of rim tape, but he referred to them as 'rim strip', not tape. And that further reinforces what had to be his total and complete disregard of rim tape.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!
Old 09-09-16, 12:17 PM
Ed.

Bikes: 1938 Raleigh Record Ace (2), 1938 Schwinn Paramount, 1961 Torpado, 1964? Frejus, 1980 Raleigh 753 Team Pro, Moulton, other stuff...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Yukon! Crazy! My Father was there circa 1942-3. Carcross, Whitehorse, Dawson, etc, etc.

I thought I had a photo of Five-Finger Rapids on PhotoBucket...

Last edited by Ed.; 09-09-16 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-09-16, 01:07 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Here is a picture of the rim/tire relationship and I am ready to tape (first time using tape) the tire to the rim, but first I need to address the lump issue. Is it possible that my problem is related to the cheap tire I have to install?
Getting back to the OP, I'd have to say yes, it's related to the cheap tire. I trained on cheap sew ups for years, but have never seen one seat that poorly. Tape is too newfangled for me, but with glue I like to see a nice even squeez-out of tiny beads all the way around, including by the stem.

Since several people with experience using these tires report that they will settle down after being ridden a bit, it would be sensible to give it some time. Do be careful not to take corners too fast until it is fully seated though. If it doesn't seat properly after riding around a while, I would get a new tire.
Old 09-09-16, 01:11 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
BTW, is it the valve stem that is hanging up? or is it a bulge in the casing around the valve stem base? I'd think enlarging the hole a mm or so in the case of the former would be ok. In the case of the latter: making it much bigger to try to fit the bulging base would be not a good idea.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 09-09-16 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-09-16, 01:24 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
I keep getting called out and do my best to answer - I even tried avoiding it, so as not to change the thread topic
glue is better than tape, and glue + tape has advantages over both, and there is no trouble to be a disadvantage

if you haven't tried it, it's really cool when you roll the tire to final position and pull the protective film that seats the tire.

Originally Posted by busdriver1959
Bulldog- I really don't think you're being called out. Your point of view on using glue and tape is new to most of us and simply generates questions.
It's just discussion. I asked about stripping the glue because I've heard of it being done but I've never figured out why. This seemed like a good time to ask along with giving my view of things.
Bulldog... I agree that people are not "calling you out" but are asking for details as to why you use tape and glue.

The reason for the curiosity is that most have never seen that recommendation previously. Personally I have followed tubie discussions for years before I bit the bullet last year and have never ever seen glue and tape suggested as an option in the C&V forums.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.